OT Carmen Basilio laid to rest | Syracusefan.com

OT Carmen Basilio laid to rest

alibrat66

2nd String
Carmen Basilio was arguably one of the most famous athletes to come out of the Syracuse area in the 20th century. Standing about 5' 6", many of his opponents towered over him; several were better pure boxers. However, none of the fighters he battled had as strong a heart. The second fight against Robinson, when he fought half blind, was without question one of the best indicators of his refusal to lose; quitting was never an option for Carmen. Sugar Ray, the winner, spent a few days in the hospital recuperating from the fight. He took two or three punches to get inside, where he'd turn his opponent's midsection into broken kindling.

My father was a huge fan of Carmen's; he rarely missed one of his fights. When I was a kid, my dad attended the Basilio-Robinson fight in which Carmen won the championship. My father brought home Carmen's corner towel (the one fighters spit in, blow their nose on, get their blood wiped off their faces with, etc.) after a night of post-fight drinking and celebrating with his buddies. He hung it on one of the lamps in our living room. My mother awoke and found the towel; not knowing what it represented, and disgusted by the looks of it, she threw it in the trash. My father woke up later that day and had to go through the trash to save his souvenir of Carmen beating Sugar Ray Robinson.

Lionhearted Carmen Basilio may finally be down for the count, but he will never be forgotten.

I still remember the 2 Basilio/DeMarco fights on TV when I was a kid. Great fights. Carmen won both of them with 12 round TKO's.

The second fight DeMarco landed a left hook early and I've never see a fighter (Basilio) stagger as drastically as Basilio did and not go down. Unreal. The guy had a heart like a lion. That was the best boxing match that I have ever seen.

I met Carmen at the War Memorial back in the late 60's when I was representing a scientific laboratory equipment company at a NY state science teachers convention. Carmen was wandering through the exhibit area. I talked to him for about 20 minutes. He was a salt of the earth regular guy, nice as could be.

I still remember the 2 Basilio/DeMarco fights on TV when I was a kid. Great fights. Carmen won both of them with 12 round TKO's.

The second fight DeMarco landed a left hook early and I've never see a fighter (Basilio) stagger as drastically as Basilio did and not go down. Unreal. The guy had a heart like a lion. That was the best boxing match that I have ever seen.

I met Carmen at the War Memorial back in the late 60's when I was representing a scientific laboratory equipment company at a NY state science teachers convention. Carmen was wandering through the exhibit area. I talked to him for about 20 minutes. He was a salt of the earth regular guy, nice as could be.

I remember those two fights with DeMarco well, Bevo. Epic battles.

No one ...NO ONE...got more out of the talent they had than Carmen did.
And no one tougher.
He said about the 2nd Robinson fight, "After the fight Ray went to the hospital. I went home."
He was a cool guy, too.

The original Rocky.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The original Rocky.

Truly a great comparison.

I remember seeing autographed photographs on the wall of the barber shop as a kid. Mr. Paul's barber shop for those folks from Auburn. I remember my uncles telling me stories about him (old Italian guys who knew him personally)...specifically his incredible victory over Sugar Ray Robinson in 57. Truly a legend and an overall good human being...rest in peace Carmine!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom