OT: Celebration After Plays | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Celebration After Plays

Marvin Harrison was better than all of them.
k3jc12.jpg

The somewhat amazing thing about this is most of Gen X is old enough to join AARP. And Gen X elevated celebrations to an art form (The U, Super Bowl Shuffle, 80s Mets Curtain Calls, etc), which irritated the older generations in the 80’s.

It doesn’t bother “old people” - it bothers people who are culturally stuck in a time that ended roughly 50 years ago.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet there, JD.
Nah, it’s a fair cop wrt the grumpiness. Mostly I was simply curious how others saw it, after grousing. Interesting range of takes.

Good or bad?

Stupid. Too many kids looking for attention. I hate seeing this stuff. Celebrate at times, of course. After EVERY hoop or good play, get over yourself. It's obviously a learned/taught behavior. I'd guess the parents/coaches encourage it. I coach some of my sons teams (ages 6 & 9), and we preach to NOT show up the other team. Respect your opponent, because it doesn't feel good to be on the other side.

I thought about this over the weekend. I wrestled in high school (Binghamton area), which meant I’d end up wrestling PA kids in tournaments (especially from Scranton and Lehigh Valley area). At the time, I’d say wrestling in NY/PA was almost exclusively white kids.

I live in PA now, and was at the end of year tourney for kids 6-10 on Saturday. Cael Sanderson taking over at Penn State and turning it into a dominant program has had a visible impact on the sport in the state. For one thing, primarily minority school districts that either didn’t have a wrestling program when I was in school or had one but couldn’t field a full team now have huge participation at the youth level. It was amazing to see black, Asian, and Hispanic coaches and participants now - wouldn’t have seen that when I was a kid.

More related to this thread, the celebrations and behaviors in other sports don’t fit the culture of wrestling. I’d see kids behave in a “unsportsmanlike” way and immediately or right after their match get corrected by their coach. It was a lot of fun; being in the hotel common area watching the Iowa - Penn State match with diverse wrestlers and coaches from across central PA honestly gave me the most hope for the future I’ve had in years. (And while I get that Penn State doesn’t get a lot of love here, and all these hundreds of kids are dreaming of wrestling for Penn State - at absolute most one or two will. Even that is unlikely. But the pursuit of that dream is going to help build the character traits and skills we need in the men and women they will grow up to be - and for that reason it’s a noble pursuit).

I thought about this over the weekend. I wrestled in high school (Binghamton area), which meant I’d end up wrestling PA kids in tournaments (especially from Scranton and Lehigh Valley area). At the time, I’d say wrestling in NY/PA was almost exclusively white kids.

I live in PA now, and was at the end of year tourney for kids 6-10 on Saturday. Cael Sanderson taking over at Penn State and turning it into a dominant program has had a visible impact on the sport in the state. For one thing, primarily minority school districts that either didn’t have a wrestling program when I was in school or had one but couldn’t field a full team now have huge participation at the youth level. It was amazing to see black, Asian, and Hispanic coaches and participants now - wouldn’t have seen that when I was a kid.

More related to this thread, the celebrations and behaviors in other sports don’t fit the culture of wrestling. I’d see kids behave in a “unsportsmanlike” way and immediately or right after their match get corrected by their coach. It was a lot of fun; being in the hotel common area watching the Iowa - Penn State match with diverse wrestlers and coaches from across central PA honestly gave me the most hope for the future I’ve had in years. (And while I get that Penn State doesn’t get a lot of love here, and all these hundreds of kids are dreaming of wrestling for Penn State - at absolute most one or two will. Even that is unlikely. But the pursuit of that dream is going to help build the character traits and skills we need in the men and women they will grow up to be - and for that reason it’s a noble pursuit).
As a fellow former wrestler, and a wrestling official for a brief time, I agree completely. Wrestling is a very sportsmanship-centric sport. Guys (and girls) know when they shake hands who won. There’s no gyrating, no taunting, no nonsense. You did your best. Shake hands. Respect your opponent. Respect the sport.