Class of 2022 - OT Chad Schuster (WI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/15/21) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 OT Chad Schuster (WI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/15/21)

Agreed...I've personally never liked a coach more than I like HCDB. I want him to work. If he gets it done I think they upper end recruiting would follow suit and we could get into the division champ mix. I don't think it's far fetched but he has to string together a couple of bowl seasons and it really has to start this season.

Agree 144%.***

*** Royalties to 721Comstock

Agreed...I've personally never liked a coach more than I like HCDB. I want him to work out. If he gets it done I think the upper end recruiting would follow suit and we could get into the division champ mix. I don't think it's far fetched, but he has to string together a couple of bowl seasons and it really has to start this season.
Agree and that's why 2019 was so painful. We had so much momentum going into that season. And then last season was basically the worst possible result coming off a season where we lost our momentum.

We're not going to be a regular 8-10 win program recruiting on the level of Wake Forest. We'll be a program on the level of Wake Forest recruiting like Wake Forest. And by this I mean if your classes are going to be heavy on developmental prospects, you still need to fill out the 2 deep, and odds are in the event of injury you'll be relegated to plugging in guys that aren't quite ready, especially on the lines, and it's really hard to win games in a conference like the ACC relying on guys that haven't had time to develop. That's why recruiting a mix of ready to play recruits and developmental recruits is so important. And with the portal now, we really have no excuse to not have a good mix of both in every class. In this last class, I consider Jason Simmons and Garret Shrader to be in that category of ready to play recruits.

This year is critical. We have to see 7-9 wins and a bowl game. And then we have to see the same thing next year. If we start seeing 3-4 top 200-250 type recruits in our classes, then we'll know the momentum has shifted in the right direction. We were headed in that direction in the 2019 class where we had big recruiting wins later in the cycle with Nunn, Kpoga and Mikel Jones, and those guys all turned out to be early 2 deep guys based on their talent and physical readiness and their talent was pretty obvious when we saw them play.

Sleepers and developmental prospects are important for the program, but those should be the guys that you redshirt and plug in on specials, or redshirt for the lines, and if they develop beyond that it's house money - but you shouldn't have to rely on those guys being on your 2 deep after a year in the program or earlier.

Last edited:
I don't understand why that video says 2018-2019 season and says Sophomore highlights. If he is a 2022 kid his Sophomore season would have been 2019-2020. Maybe those are really 2019-2020 highlights?

Because those aren't his Junior highlights. Looks like his team only played five games last year.

Because those aren't his Junior highlights. Looks like his team only played five games last year.
Yeah I get that. But the other video states that it is the 2018-2019 season and his Sophomore year. That video is labeled wrong. But thanks for the newer video CL.

2021-2022 Senior Year
2020-2021 Junior Year
2019-2020 Sophomore Year
2018-2019 Freshman Year

Yeah I get that. But the other video states that it is the 2018-2019 season and his Sophomore year. That video is labeled wrong. But thanks for the newer video CL.

2021-2022 Senior Year
2020-2021 Junior Year
2019-2020 Sophomore Year
2018-2019 Freshman Year
I went back through HUDL and he has no highlights for his Freshman year, 2018-2019 but he is listed on the team roster. Someone probably, as you said, put the incorrect year on the video. Those things never happen. ;)

DEB02847-6A44-4793-99C8-918733AF247E.png

Watched his highlights and am pretty high on this kid. Excellent size and well developed lower half and shows good flexibility on tape. Plays with a nice wide base, clean footwork, and consistent hand placement, you can tell he's well coached and more polished than most O-lineman we have landed in recent memory. My guess is he'll end up at Guard here as he is a strong run blocker but not quite sure he has the lateral range to play tackle at the D1 level.

Really like the 2 OL we have signed so far. Let's see what the portal brings us as well...
Also wouldn't mind hearing good news from someone on January 22 during the Polynesian Bowl :)