OT-Champions League | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT-Champions League

I watch soccer on Fox Soccer & ESPN all the time, and don't think I've ever seen a Bundesliga game on there, in like the last 3 years. Fox Soccer Plus, maybe. But I don't see them advertise anything from Germany on there.

B/c GolTv has the exclusive TV rights in the U.S. and Canada.

Chelsea going through is good news for Liverpool on the FA Cup final as well. Winning the FA Cup at this point is top priority after such an abismal season, however it is 3rd for Chelsea beyond CL Final, and fighting for a top 4 spot in the league.

As to the final itself, I'll be cheering for Munich and at home they should prevail. However, looking at their roster and resources, they have a propensity to underacheive badly. Case in point, the Bundesliga standings where Dortmond is 8 points clear.

German football is awesome though being my 2nd favorite league behind EPL but probably a bit more fun to actually watch since they aren't as inclined to the diving epidemic that is prevalent in all other leagues. Alot of tough play gets waved on in Germany where you see fouls and cards in other leagues for similar play.

The EPL is my favorite league because its accessible, they speak English. But the Bundesliga is absolutely the best to watch right now. There is some very good football being played there.

Agree with you about the FA cup. For all of Liverpool's failings they are capable of beating anybody on any given day. It will be an afterthought for Chelsea but a much needed bright light in what has been a pretty dark season for Liverpool.

Bayern wasn't very good last year, and didn't make Champions League. It was their acquisition of Manuel Neuer, the hot goal keeper who carried Schalke all the way to the semifinals last year that has made them a new team. They had a pretty good attack last year, but a leaky defense. This year, Mario Gomez has become unstoppable and is a new man up front. That and Neuer are the difference, although Bayern still has a shaky back four, in my opinion.
We made the CL last year, but lost on away goals to Inter.

I watch soccer on Fox Soccer & ESPN all the time, and don't think I've ever seen a Bundesliga game on there, in like the last 3 years. Fox Soccer Plus, maybe. But I don't see them advertise anything from Germany on there.

PoppyHart is correct. GolTV. Most places I watch carry all the channels sorry for the confusion.

I don't think Abramovich gives two craps about the FA Cup.

With close to a billion spent on Chelsea since his takeover I would tend to agree that he's not looking for FA Cup or Europa fame.

Agree with you about the FA cup. For all of Liverpool's failings they are capable of beating anybody on any given day. It will be an afterthought for Chelsea but a much needed bright light in what has been a pretty dark season for Liverpool.

It's funny the parallels between LFC and Syracuse football as rebuilding processes for me being a die hard fan of both. Both teams struggle offensively and are subject to huge mental breakdowns on defense that hamstring the results.

Despite all the shortcomings in the league this year, having 2 trophys would be a huge lift considering we hadn't won anything for years. The other bright spot is that the players we have are mostly young and capable of improving vs finished products if you omit Steven Gerrard and Pepe Reina.

Hopefully next season shows big progressions for both.

I just got Fox Soccer Channel.

I watch a European game every night.

It is great stuff!

Really looking foward to the Premier League games coming up and the UEFA Championship.

The only problem is when I go to Philadelphia Union games and expect to see there what I see on TV.

Ugh.

Arsenal - Stoke (A) Norwich (H) West Brom (A)
Newcastle - Wigan (A) Chelsea (A) Man City (H) Everton (A)
Spurs - Blackburn(H) Bolton (A) Aston Villa (A) Fulham (H)
Chelsea - QPR (H) Newcastle (H) Liverpool (A) Blackburn (H)

I think that Arsenal is pretty much locked into 3. They shouldn't drop points the rest of the way. Newcastle has a very tough schedule and will struggle to stay ahead of Spurs, but their recent form indicates maybe they can jump up to 3. Despite Spurs bad form, they should still win 3 of those last 4. I can see them dropping points in a few of those games as well though. Chelsea has a favorable schedule as well but the 5 games in 15 days will keep them out of the top 4.

I think it finishes up Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Chelsea and Chelsea doesn't return to the CL

Looks like you've hit it exactly...unless Chelsea somehow beats Munich at home...they are Europa bound.

I just got Fox Soccer Channel.

I watch a European game every night.

It is great stuff!

Really looking foward to the Premier League games coming up and the UEFA Championship.

The only problem is when I go to Philadelphia Union games and expect to see there what I see on TV.

Ugh.

MLS is the equivalent of AAA baseball.

Looks like you've hit it exactly...unless Chelsea somehow beats Munich at home...they are Europa bound.
Pissed that I'm going to miss survival sunday because of graduation. There's going to be a lot of drama.

Here we go baby! Almost that time. Cannot wait for the Final to start tomorrow. Let's go Bayern! Mia San Mia!
306177_10150896831516893_721066892_9473676_881337167_n.jpg

Here we go baby! Almost that time. Cannot wait for the Final to start tomorrow. Let's go Bayern! Mia San Mia!

'Mon the Bavarians!

also recommend checkin' out the English League Championship promotion play-off final in the morning - Blackpool v. West Ham. Fox soccer channel at 10 am. Winner joins Reading and Southampton in the EPL next year. Big money on the line.

Champions League trophy isn't leaving Germany tomorrow.

I'm a huge Hammers fan as well. Love having them in the premiership as their fans are awesome with their chants, and the constant pitch invasions.

Wow, how did I miss this thread.

Survival Sunday was one of the most exciting things I've ever seen in sports. The format is brilliant, so much drama at the top and bottom of the table. There's nothing else like it. Imagine the bottom three teams in the NFL playing to avoid relegation to Arena football. You couldn't help but feel happy for the all the old-timers at the Etihad no matter how you feel about City. The result was good for the league, as is Newcastle's resurgence.

As for the Champions League, I don't have any superlatives left for Chelsea's last stand at Barca. I'll freely admit, when Terry was sent off, I thought Chelsea was finished. When Ramires scored I thought they had just a glimmer of hope. When Torres broke free I finally breathed.

Win or lose, DiMatteo has earned a full season in my book. He turned a season to forget into one that is already unforgettable. It wasn't just the end result, it was so much quality play from guys like Mikel and Kalou that were cast aside by AVB, veteran guys from the rise to power. Tomorrow really will be the last hurrah for the Chelsea players that turned things around, you couldn't script a better ending for them. I have a suspicion this will be a busy transfer season, with lots of familiar Blues heading away. I also suspect Bruce Buck and Roman already have written off DiMatteo, which is infuriating. Go back to Skadden and leave football to footballers, Bruce.

But hey, no matter what, I will be in row 21 at midfield for Chelsea versus AC Milan in Miami. ;)

Well, do you realized that under DeMatteo, they've taken fewer (percentage wise) of the available points in the EPL than under Villas-Boas ? I bet you wouldn't expect that. The Champions League success is the last hurrah for this generation of players, and they all know it. A few will stay, but a number are gone, and they are trying to go out in style, instead of being prima donnas, for once.

Well, do you realized that under DeMatteo, they've taken fewer (percentage wise) of the available points in the EPL than under Villas-Boas ? I bet you wouldn't expect that. The Champions League success is the last hurrah for this generation of players, and they all know it. A few will stay, but a number are gone, and they are trying to go out in style, instead of being prima donnas, for once.
He's been woefully ineffective at the domestic level but the FA Cup win and his rise through the Champions League should at least give him a shot next season.

That's true, but even in defeat the body language of the players was better, they started looking like a team again. That's why I really want to see him get a proper chance at it. RDM may not be a "big" name now, but mark my words, he will be.

He's been woefully ineffective at the domestic level but the FA Cup win and his rise through the Champions League should at least give him a shot next season.

I don't think so. I think they've already made up their minds. DiMatteo isn't strong enough to move some of these guys into supporting roles and to replace some of them. He is ONE of them. They wouldn't let AVB move them out; they quit on him and there weren't enough AVB-loyal guys of sufficient quality and maturity to win without the old guard. That doesn't mean they aren't getting older. Lampard, at least, seems to have accepted the holding rather than attacking midfield role under DiMatteo that he refused to do under AVB. Terry has also fallen on his ass quite a bit in big spots this year, like that Liverpool game following the FA Cup, that essentially gave away 4th place.

Wow, how did I miss this thread.

Survival Sunday was one of the most exciting things I've ever seen in sports. The format is brilliant, so much drama at the top and bottom of the table. There's nothing else like it. Imagine the bottom three teams in the NFL playing to avoid relegation to Arena football. You couldn't help but feel happy for the all the old-timers at the Etihad no matter how you feel about City. The result was good for the league, as is Newcastle's resurgence.

As for the Champions League, I don't have any superlatives left for Chelsea's last stand at Barca. I'll freely admit, when Terry was sent off, I thought Chelsea was finished. When Ramires scored I thought they had just a glimmer of hope. When Torres broke free I finally breathed.

Win or lose, DiMatteo has earned a full season in my book. He turned a season to forget into one that is already unforgettable. It wasn't just the end result, it was so much quality play from guys like Mikel and Kalou that were cast aside by AVB, veteran guys from the rise to power. Tomorrow really will be the last hurrah for the Chelsea players that turned things around, you couldn't script a better ending for them. I have a suspicion this will be a busy transfer season, with lots of familiar Blues heading away. I also suspect Bruce Buck and Roman already have written off DiMatteo, which is infuriating. Go back to Skadden and leave football to footballers, Bruce.

But hey, no matter what, I will be in row 21 at midfield for Chelsea versus AC Milan in Miami. ;)

Hate Chelsea but respect your knowledge and enthusiasm

I may be the only person in the world who feels this way... But this morning, I was more looking forward to watching Blackpool vs. West Ham than I was the Champions League Final. I think domestic games are more fun to watch. Call me crazy.

I may be the only person in the world who feels this way... But this morning, I was more looking forward to watching Blackpool vs. West Ham than I was the Champions League Final. I think domestic games are more fun to watch. Call me crazy.
I will happily call you crazy. This is going to be awesome.

It sounded like an awesome game to see. As expected, the CL game play is tilted heavily in Munich's favor w/ Chelsea hoping for a counter goal or pk's.