OT- Chancellor Cantor Leaving in 2014 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT- Chancellor Cantor Leaving in 2014

When was Syracuse ranked in the 30s for National Universities? I'm not contesting this just don't remember SU ever being ranked that high. As I recall we were never any higher ranked during the Cantor years than #50.

SU was definitely either in the upper 30s or very low 40s when I started there in 1991. I know because I read about it in a bunch of their recruitment literature.

With many tuitions reaching the $50,000 mark (think about that for a second. a good student from a good family who may not be able to pay for their college has to take out student loans if they don't get a scholarship. they leave from there 200k in the hole and that's if they don't go on in school) i think many students are taking a long hard look at what the degree sets them up for.

Almost no one is actually paying the stupid $50K sticker price at SU, and certainly no undergrad is walking off the Hill with $200K in student loans.

I read recently how the sticker price has become part of the recruitment game for colleges like SU. No one is paying it, but by pricing yourself that high you (a) put yourself in a lofty set of private schools that have a similar sticker price, and (b) look good to prospective students when you tell them they "qualified" for a bunch of grant money to "lower" the price.

It's marketing, essentially.

Almost no one is actually paying the stupid $50K sticker price at SU, and certainly no undergrad is walking off the Hill with $200K in student loans.

I read recently how the sticker price has become part of the recruitment game for colleges like SU. No one is paying it, but by pricing yourself that high you (a) put yourself in a lofty set of private schools that have a similar sticker price, and (b) look good to prospective students when you tell them they "qualified" for a bunch of grant money to "lower" the price.

Not to argue against you but I worked as a resident advisor for a few years and I could tell you that I've had several residents who paid every penny of the $50k. They didn't understand why students would ever take a loan to go to college. This concept was unheard of in their life. Needlessly to say, the residents (and their families) were as rich as one could ever imagine.

Not to argue against you but I worked as a resident advisor for a few years and I could tell you that I've had several residents who paid every penny of the $50k. They didn't understand why students would ever take a loan to go to college. This concept was unheard of in their life. Needlessly to say, the residents (and their families) were as rich as one could ever imagine.

Right, rich kids, I totally get that. That was why I said "almost no one" is paying the full freight.

These schools often bear sticker prices of $50,000+ per year but very few people pay sticker price. You just have to know how to play the game.

PM me and tell me how to "play the game"

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If "no one" is paying sticker price, I know a bunch of families, mine included, who should be getting some sort of SU rebate check soon.

I can't complain though, I just started a job this past month and I'm definitely better prepared based on many of my experiences at SU. Couldn't ask for a more fulfilling college experience, and would recommend SU to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk