OT- Chancellor Cantor Leaving in 2014 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT- Chancellor Cantor Leaving in 2014

the marginal students that got in thanks to lowered admissions standards aren't in the newhouse classes you lectured.

so much of a college rankings come from the signal that high admissions standards send to employers.

harvard grads don't appeal to employers because of what they learned at harvard, they appeal to employers because they had a high enough IQ to get admitted to harvard. the rest of it is just confirming that people can conform enough and have their together enough to not get kicked out.

lowering standards makes employers wonder what they're getting with a syracuse grad. might be smart, might not be.
Taranto has been arguing pretty much the same thing for a while now.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204661604577185080822700206.html

http://home.roadrunner.com/~taranto/disparate.htm

What does this mean for Daryl (future)?

With the amount of good work Daryl has done during his tenure (both actual and perceived), I believe he stays as long as he chooses.

It is not uncommon for presidents/chancellors to step down after a capital campaign concludes. An 8 year tenure is pretty typical in this day and age. It is a demanding position and I think they get burned out at one school so you see them moving on after short periods. If she was forced out I do not believe they would keep her on for 20 more months. They'd force her out at the end of this June. And in that case, you wouldn't even see or hear from her in that time span.

"You're fired."

10248633-small.jpg

It is not uncommon for presidents/chancellors to step down after a capital campaign concludes. An 8 year tenure is pretty typical in this day and age. It is a demanding position and I think they get burned out at one school so you see them moving on after short periods. If she was forced out I do not believe they would keep her on for 20 more months. They'd force her out at the end of this June. And in that case, you wouldn't even see or hear from her in that time span.

And it will be 10 years once she finally steps down. I don't know if there is more to the story or not. As a Syracuse resident (non-alum), I can definitely appreciate her efforts to link the university with the city. I guess the academic ranking of the college has less of an impact on myself, seeing as I don't hold one of those very expensive pieces of paper from SU. Hopefully, whoever the new president they hire is able to improve the University's academic standing while still building on the progress that has been made in the Syracuse community.

Disagree, they could have forced her out by saying they would not renew her contract. This gives the university time to start a search for a new chancellor without making it look like a show.

I don't think Gross' job is in jeopardy.

However if the new boss takes away the checkbook, Gross may start looking around.

My naive opinion is that the AD should be well funded with the ACC move. But if the new chancy decides to extort (ahem, I mean use it for the General Fund, i.e. Money for People) from the AD like a previous administration did, then that's another story.

good.

Why do you say that?

I am not being critical of you post - not at all.

What is the word about her?

Has she been a failure? Is she not popular? Has the University had trouble under her leadership?

I would appreciate any insight.

I guess after meeting with the Dalai Lama this week, Cantor finally achieved total consciousness.
He offered her a job as a looper at a course in the Himalayas.

You know, a looper. A caddy. A jock.

Disagree, they could have forced her out by saying they would not renew her contract. This gives the university time to start a search for a new chancellor without making it look like a **** show.

I work in higher education and from my experiences, when someone of a higher status like this is truly relieved of their duties or pushed out, they aren't kept around to do more damage. They'd rather cut bait and appoint an interim for the position while they conduct their search for the replacement.

I work in higher education and from my experiences, when someone of a higher status like this is truly relieved of their duties or pushed out, they aren't kept around to do more damage. They'd rather cut bait and appoint an interim for the position while they conduct their search for the replacement.
That's a good point. If she's being forced out, why would they let her finish out her contract? I don't know how old Nancy is, but she's not a spring chicken. I can imagine this more being an agreed upon retirement.

That's a good point. If she's being forced out, why would they let her finish out her contract? I don't know how old Nancy is, but she's not a spring chicken. I can imagine this more being an agreed upon retirement.
She's around 60. Got her BA in 74, according to her bio.

So, what are our requirements for a new Chancellor?

- Commitment to upgrading admissions standards
- Maintain the progress the University has made in connecting with the City of Syracuse
- Remaining committed to raising money and spending money on athletics
- Raise the profile of SU nationally and internationally
- Get SU back into the AAU

Any others?

Free beer?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forced out probably would mean soon. But she was told her contract wasn't being renewed. Not mutual but not immediately fired either.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Why do you say that?

I am not being critical of you post - not at all.

What is the word about her?

Has she been a failure? Is she not popular? Has the University had trouble under her leadership?

I would appreciate any insight.

They're increasing enrollment by becoming less selective. They don't have much to show for the money they're getting through those students (either directly or indirectly from student grants). I don't see the payoff in taking that money and putting it into Connective Corridor stuff, I would rather see it put more directly into teaching and research. They hit the top 40 and were very loud about it when I was in school (97 grad), which was a little embarassing (The school of management especially - huge banners - i wanted to tell them "congrats but simmer down a little for the love of god"). The school has gone down in the rankings and we dropped out of the AAU

They need to keep their rankings up to justify the huge price tag. Smart kids have cheaper options. I don't want SU to become an expensive summer camp. At this point, it doesn't matter so much to me that they're slipping in the ranking because college is rapidly becoming ancient history for me. But the rapid decline really hurts younger alums who didn't expect the school to stop being selective as soon as they graduated. They were probably too generous in admissions back when I went there.

It's not as good a school as when I was there, and really, it wasn't that great then.

Complaints about rankings methodology only goes so far and they've dropped quite a bit. Some things are hard to measure but it's still worth trying.

I don't know anything about her as a person. I'm only talking about the results.

I dont hate chancy nancy. She has actually done some good stuff for the City...as well as the University.

They're increasing enrollment by becoming less selective. They don't have much to show for the money they're getting through those students (either directly or indirectly from student grants). I don't see the payoff in taking that money and putting it into Connective Corridor stuff, I would rather see it put more directly into teaching and research. They hit the top 40 and were very loud about it when I was in school (97 grad), which was a little embarassing (The school of management especially - huge banners - i wanted to tell them "congrats but simmer down a little for the love of god"). The school has gone down in the rankings and we dropped out of the AAU

They need to keep their rankings up to justify the huge price tag. Smart kids have cheaper options. I don't want SU to become an expensive summer camp. At this point, it doesn't matter so much to me that they're slipping in the ranking because college is rapidly becoming ancient history for me. But the rapid decline really hurts younger alums who didn't expect the school to stop being selective as soon as they graduated. They were probably too generous in admissions back when I went there.

It's not as good a school as when I was there, and really, it wasn't that great then.

Complaints about rankings methodology only goes so far and they've dropped quite a bit. Some things are hard to measure but it's still worth trying.

I don't know anything about her as a person. I'm only talking about the results.

Thanks for the insight.

I heard about the AAU situation from a friend who is on the Rutgers Board of Trustees.

He suggested that Syracuse University was forced out because of its financial situation.

Then I read that the University had failed to maintain a sufficient level of federal research grants.

What is the true story and is the loss of membership in AAU a traumatic development? My friend seemed to suggest that it was a big blow to the University.

I think the issue of becoming an expensive summer camp is a big one at most universities/colleges. The one thing that I never understood was how much money from student tuition actually goes into paying the professors. Most professors are revered for their academic accomplishments which usually comes down to their research awards/grants. The are not highly regarded because of their ability to teach. The issue then becomes prestige rather than actually teaching a kid something and seeing them grow from that experience. With many tuitions reaching the $50,000 mark (think about that for a second. a good student from a good family who may not be able to pay for their college has to take out student loans if they don't get a scholarship. they leave from there 200k in the hole and that's if they don't go on in school) i think many students are taking a long hard look at what the degree sets them up for. sure you have a piece of paper but how well are you prepared to get a job and be successful? most of the updates that have driven an increase in tuition are cosmetics- rock climibing walls, fancier labs, updated dorms, etc. i really would like some school to actually value those profs that are able to really reach kids. and i'm pretty sure there is no national ranking placing value on that.

SU did just rank 5th in the country for best salaries/fun. lol

One could argue about methodology all day but one of the reasons why I applied to Syracuse was the due to their prestige/ranking. With that said, I'd like to see us ranked higher...much higher. At the bare minimum in the 40s.

There are schools that place a premium on teaching ability. They are for the most part undergraduate-only colleges (also known as liberal arts colleges or LACs) that play Division III sports and are therefore unknown to 99.99% of Americans. Many of the Ivy League and Patriot League schools also value teaching along with research accomplishments. These schools often bear sticker prices of $50,000+ per year but very few people pay sticker price. You just have to know how to play the game.

It's really embarassing since I chose Syracuse over BC and Holy Cross. Academically I made a bad decision if you put any stock into the rankings. People can poo poo them all you want but you do not want to be on an elevator going down. Thankfully i made the 100% right decision b/c the place rocked and i couldn't have asked more from my college experience and the Newhouse education. Quality for sure but perception is reality.

Hopefully the new Chancellor can get the school back up into the top 40.

When was Syracuse ranked in the 30s for National Universities? I'm not contesting this just don't remember SU ever being ranked that high. As I recall we were never any higher ranked during the Cantor years than #50.

There are schools that place a premium on teaching ability. They are for the most part undergraduate-only colleges (also known as liberal arts colleges or LACs) that play Division III sports and are therefore unknown to 99.99% of Americans. Many of the Ivy League and Patriot League schools also value teaching along with research accomplishments. These schools often bear sticker prices of $50,000+ per year but very few people pay sticker price. You just have to know how to play the game.

I know. I went to one. Could not believe that people at larger schools were usually taught by TAs. Still, with that one of my best teachers was let go for not doing enough research.

they lowered admissions standards and put the extra money from it into administrator pockets and dumb projects unrelated to the school. i'm glad prof stonecash piped up in that one article that caused the hullaballoo

next chancellor needs to get tougher on admissions, get smarter students, put the money into the actual university and hope that improvement in the rankings drives up enrollment. they have it all backwards.
typical liberal thought process: bass akwards

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2