OT- Chancellor Cantor Leaving in 2014 | Syracusefan.com

OT- Chancellor Cantor Leaving in 2014

Can we assume this has to do with SU's academic decline, or shall I say perception of decline brought upon by the relax admission standards? Or was this becuase of something else? She being forced out?

Her contract is up in June 2014, and she isn't going to renew. That's all we know right now.

Can we assume this has to do with SU's academic decline, or shall I say perception of decline brought upon by the relax admission standards? Or was this becuase of something else? She being forced out?

This is what I've heard via rumor mill - that the academic decline was the driving force - not sure if that's true.

This is what I've heard via rumor mill - that the academic decline was the driving force - not sure if that's true.

they lowered admissions standards and put the extra money from it into administrator pockets and dumb projects unrelated to the school. i'm glad prof stonecash piped up in that one article that caused the hullaballoo

next chancellor needs to get tougher on admissions, get smarter students, put the money into the actual university and hope that improvement in the rankings drives up enrollment. they have it all backwards.

they lowered admissions standards and put the extra money from it into administrator pockets and dumb projects unrelated to the school

next chancellor needs to get tougher on admissions, get smarter students, put the money into the actual university and hope that improvement in the rankings drives up enrollment. they have it all backwards.
Also heard that she's not real popular with most of SU's professors.

they lowered admissions standards and put the extra money from it into administrator pockets and dumb projects unrelated to the school. i'm glad prof stonecash piped up in that one article that caused the hullaballoo

Thing is, I think the intellectual capacity of the student body is higher, if not much higher, than it was when I graduated in '95. I've had the opportunity to lecture to some Newhouse classes the past few years and the kids are impressive.

I also think that Cantor has done some good. Building bridges to the community has been a positive.

But ultimately the drop in our perceived quality is totally unacceptable. It's ridiculous that a school that was ranked in the top 40 when I enrolled 20 years ago has fallen so far. I mean it should have gone up just from me not being there!

Thing is, I think the intellectual capacity of the student body is higher, if not much higher, than it was when I graduated in '95. I've had the opportunity to lecture to some Newhouse classes the past few years and the kids are impressive.

I also think that Cantor has done some good. Building bridges to the community has been a positive.

But ultimately the drop in our perceived quality is totally unacceptable. It's ridiculous that a school that was ranked in the top 40 when I enrolled 20 years ago has fallen so far. I mean it should have gone up just from me not being there!
the marginal students that got in thanks to lowered admissions standards aren't in the newhouse classes you lectured.

so much of a college rankings come from the signal that high admissions standards send to employers.

harvard grads don't appeal to employers because of what they learned at harvard, they appeal to employers because they had a high enough IQ to get admitted to harvard. the rest of it is just confirming that people can conform enough and have their together enough to not get kicked out.

lowering standards makes employers wonder what they're getting with a syracuse grad. might be smart, might not be.

I think Newhouse is impervious to these changes. Newhouse is like its own little university within SU. It's so well known, and so well funded no one can really change admission standards for them.

I have heard from admissions folks at SU that getting into Newhouse as a freshman is akin to getting into an Ivy. Might be true of a couple other schools on the hill, but I know that Newhouse's admissions standards are higher then the rest of the university.

I guess after meeting with the Dalai Lama this week, Cantor finally achieved total consciousness.

...and respect the pr importance of football. We don't need another Buzz Shaw to come in and yank the commitment to football.

It's really embarassing since I chose Syracuse over BC and Holy Cross. Academically I made a bad decision if you put any stock into the rankings. People can poo poo them all you want but you do not want to be on an elevator going down. Thankfully i made the 100% right decision b/c the place rocked and i couldn't have asked more from my college experience and the Newhouse education. Quality for sure but perception is reality.

Hopefully the new Chancellor can get the school back up into the top 40.

Jim Boeheim for Chancellor! Someone had to say it. :rolleyes:

...and respect the pr importance of football. We don't need another Buzz Shaw to come in and yank the commitment to football.

That's on certain Trustees' to advocate. If we get a new chancellor who wants to return to the Buzz Shaw days I will be expecting some high profile Trustee resignations.

So, what are our requirements for a new Chancellor?

- Commitment to upgrading admissions standards
- Maintain the progress the University has made in connecting with the City of Syracuse
- Remaining committed to raising money and spending money on athletics
- Raise the profile of SU nationally and internationally
- Get SU back into the AAU

Any others?

They need to reverse the damage that is being done to their reputation. Honestly the only thing that matters is educational ranking.