OT: Coaching Epiphany Saturday | Syracusefan.com

OT: Coaching Epiphany Saturday

Dave85

Living Legend
I've been coaching a team of 5th/6th graders. On Saturday we were in our semifinal playoff game. One of my best players gets a called for a foul. He's really mad about it. I am telling him "let it go stay in the game. Referees are going to call fouls. It's just part of basketball." At this age the players really begin to start getting emotionally affected by referee calls. He's still angry about the call so I sit him down on the bench. I go up to him and look him in the eyes and say, "if you are really that mad about the call then score 6 points or get rebound but stop complaining about the call." Something clicked in this kid's head and he played with a determination I've haven't seen from him all season. He was scoring and making jump shots from everywhere. He scored a career high 20 points and the most points any player on our team has scored the entire season. It was amazing! I guess I said the right thing! LOL!

We play for our division championship this Saturday. We are 10-1 and we are playing the one team we lost to for the championship. It should be epic! Last time when we lost the other team had a player who hit 8 three point shots. This time we are going to put guy on him the whole game to shut him down. I like our chances this time and my team is playing a lot better since our first game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom