OT- cortisone shots | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT- cortisone shots

I had mine done when I was 36 and mine went very well also. Unfortunately over time I have twisted it and locking it up in Sept. really mess it up. I am doing OK now and as long as I can play golf and swim and I am fine. I have friends that have had knee replacements and that is one surgery I want no part of. I hope your dad is doing OK.

He lived for 15 years after he had his knees done. He was able to fly model airplanes and do some fishing. But he slow down a lot after he had his knees done. I don't think he regretted having it done. I'm sure nowadays the knee technology is 100 times better than when he had it done.

I have had 5 shots over the years - elbow, wrist and trochanter - every one worked. Could not believe how fast it worked. However, doctor said each successive shot tends to be less effective.

just got one for my knee. Had an mri and it showed a little medial issue but i have no pain there (pain is in the back left of my left knee). No neniscus tear on the left side.

Got a cortisone shot. Do they help? Will this "cure" my issue or just delay the inevitable (surgery)?

Cortisone shots wont "fix" anything. It's an antinflammatory. It won't cure you, but it'll take away the pain for a while. You probably have excessive synovial fluid accumulation in your knee. It's a byproduct of any type of intra-articular injury ( ie meniscal tear) and probably why it hurts so much in the back of your knee.

I'll usually start with an injection and PT x 4 weeks for a meniscus tear. A lot of times that helps. If not then I rec arthroscopic surgery.

I imagine at some point I will have to get replacements like my father. I'm just not looking forward to it. Good luck. See my previous comment about what father said. It's kind of funny.

Why would you get it done if you can walk without pain?
because I have been getting cortisone shots in that knee every three months for two years, and their effect only lasts for about two months -- bone on bone says replace it.

because I have been getting cortisone shots in that knee every three months for two years, and their effect only lasts for about two months -- bone on bone says replace it.

I have the same problem in my left knee. I'm just trying to prolong the inevitable.

just got one for my knee. Had an mri and it showed a little medial issue but i have no pain there (pain is in the back left of my left knee). No neniscus tear on the left side.

Got a cortisone shot. Do they help? Will this "cure" my issue or just delay the inevitable (surgery)?
My shot lasted about a month, have to wait 3 months for the next one...

Cortisone shots wont "fix" anything. It's an antinflammatory. It won't cure you, but it'll take away the pain for a while. You probably have excessive synovial fluid accumulation in your knee. It's a byproduct of any type of intra-articular injury ( ie meniscal tear) and probably why it hurts so much in the back of your knee.

I'll usually start with an injection and PT x 4 weeks for a meniscus tear. A lot of times that helps. If not then I rec arthroscopic surgery.
Exactly what worked for me.

My dad is a doctor. Cortisone shots work the first couple of times you get them as they take away pain around damaged cartilage from causing bone on bone stress.

Cortisone fills in the areas of around damaged cartilage and take stress away and thus take away pain. The more frequent you get cortisone shots the less efficient they are as the body adjusts to the shots and they less efficient.

If you can get the surgery I would think it would be the smarter long term play. Cartilage doesn't regenerate in bodies and thus the bone on bone could cause pain. I don't know if you need a scope which would take out scar tissue or just regular shots.

Hope this helps.

My dad is a doctor. Cortisone shots work the first couple of times you get them as they take away pain around damaged cartilage from causing bone on bone stress.

Cortisone fills in the areas of around damaged cartilage and take stress away and thus take away pain. The more frequent you get cortisone shots the less efficient they are as the body adjusts to the shots and they less efficient.

If you can get the surgery I would think it would be the smarter long term play. Cartilage doesn't regenerate in bodies and thus the bone on bone could cause pain. I don't know if you need a scope which would take out scar tissue or just regular shots.

Hope this helps.

The issue was the MRI didnt show any tear. I had surgery on my left knee (meniscus) in 1998 and about a month and a half ago the back left of my knee bothered me. I had initially thought it was a Barkers Cyst but there was no lump or a fluid buildup. I can move up and down no problem. Laterally is where it hurts. My doc said there was a possible issue with the medical right side of my knee but I am not in any pain on that side and there isnt a tear. Its mostly arthritis he said.

He is the one who suggested the cortisone shot and said in 3 weeks if its not better then we can talk about doing another arthroscopic on the knee to see what is the real issue here. I was all about the surgery and was hesitant to get the shot because I want the problem to go away forever (or years) as opposed to a few months. I am hoping that not having a tear will be the trump card and the shot will do its job.

The issue was the MRI didnt show any tear. I had surgery on my left knee (meniscus) in 1998 and about a month and a half ago the back left of my knee bothered me. I had initially thought it was a Barkers Cyst but there was no lump or a fluid buildup. I can move up and down no problem. Laterally is where it hurts. My doc said there was a possible issue with the medical right side of my knee but I am not in any pain on that side and there isnt a tear. Its mostly arthritis he said.

He is the one who suggested the cortisone shot and said in 3 weeks if its not better then we can talk about doing another arthroscopic on the knee to see what is the real issue here. I was all about the surgery and was hesitant to get the shot because I want the problem to go away forever (or years) as opposed to a few months. I am hoping that not having a tear will be the trump card and the shot will do its job.
If its arthritis then surgery wouldn't help unless you got microfracture surgery which nobody outside of athletes get done as the rehab is insane and the cost is super expensive.

Cortisone for arthritis makes sense as the cartilage is just shot in the body thru wear and tear. As you know arthritis can't be cured thus cortisone would take the pain away.

However as I said the more frequently you got the cortisone shot the less effective would be. However people don't get them that often like at most 1 time a month. I am not a doc but it sounds like you just arthritis and cortisone would help with the pain tolerance .

If its arthritis then surgery wouldn't help unless you got microfracture surgery which nobody outside of athletes get done as the rehab is insane and the cost is super expensive.

Cortisone for arthritis makes sense as the cartilage is just shot in the body thru wear and tear. As you know arthritis can't be cured thus cortisone would take the pain away.

However as I said the more frequently you got the cortisone shot the less effective would be. However people don't get them that often like at most 1 time a month. I am not a doc but it sounds like you just arthritis and cortisone would help with the pain tolerance .

appreciate the insight. I was just hoping not to mask the pain and doing further injury (still work out 6 times a week and play about 150 rounds of golf a year).

The first 3 helped me. The last one not so much. My left knee is pain in my ...knee.

You shouldn't have too many cortisone shots. I had two for my right shoulder, where I have had a partial rotator cuff tear since about 2002. First one helped for a few months and then wore off. Got a second one and didn't get any real improvement. I hear a clicking sound when I rotate my arm like you were passing a football. The doctors told me that there is a limit to the effectiveness of cortisone shots because the muscle gets brittle where the injection is made. So be careful of having too many of them done. They go down in effectiveness and can cause problems over time.

Marsh01 said:
appreciate the insight. I was just hoping not to mask the pain and doing further injury (still work out 6 times a week and play about 150 rounds of golf a year).
dude 150 rounds? Good god. Golf is just brutal on the body.

dude 150 rounds? Good god. Golf is just brutal on the body.

Yea at least. Still try to compete in local district, NYSGA and USGA events (and play in all my club events) so I get my fill for sure. Now that my son is playing HS golf I get out even more with him (and the wife as she plays a ton too). 5-7 rounds a week is the norm and I walk about 140 of the rounds. Many 36 hole days over the summer. It takes its toll.

I've had three knee surgeries. If your issue is a medial collateral ligament sprain, as in less than 50% of it is torn, it will heal on its own without surgery but it can be a very slow recovery. If it's a meniscus tear, the problem often isn't the tear itself but the loose material floating around gets caught in the joint and makes for a locked, balky, buckling knee--no one's idea of fun. Surgery can fix that.

All cortisone does is quickly reduce the inflammation and associated pain and allows you with the proper exercises to regain some lost range of motion. The problem with cortisone is it's temporary...in six weeks or so without strengthening your upper quad and hamstrings to take the load off the knee, you'll likely be back where you started. In other words, if you want to see if you can avoid surgery, get thyself to the gym, beginning with non-weighed movements (stationary biking, band stretching and non-weighted leg extensions are good) and slowly add light weight over many weeks.

If, however, you're partial to physical therapy just know that the PT's job is to get to the point where you can actually begin your rehab.

Unless you really know what you're doing, stay away from squats. Most people squat Olympic style, in which your knees move forward and your hips back putting far too much tension on the knee. If you know how to do sumo power lifting squats, where there's no pressure on your knees only your glutes and hips, ultimately that's the best way to gain strength once you've rehabbed for a while. But if all that's gibberish to you, don't squat.

And finally, you might want to wear a sleeve on your knee to give it some stability. Rehband makes the best by far. If you check out their site http://www.rehband.com, the 3mm one probably is suitable--the thicker ones are more for power lifters.

I recommend cutting back to 147 rounds a year. If that doesn't work, try some extra time on the 19th hole.

I've had three knee surgeries. If your issue is a medial collateral ligament sprain, as in less than 50% of it is torn, it will heal on its own without surgery but it can be a very slow recovery. If it's a meniscus tear, the problem often isn't the tear itself but the loose material floating around gets caught in the joint and makes for a locked, balky, buckling knee--no one's idea of fun. Surgery can fix that.

All cortisone does is quickly reduce the inflammation and associated pain and allows you with the proper exercises to regain some lost range of motion. The problem with cortisone is it's temporary...in six weeks or so without strengthening your upper quad and hamstrings to take the load off the knee, you'll likely be back where you started. In other words, if you want to see if you can avoid surgery, get thyself to the gym, beginning with non-weighed movements (stationary biking, band stretching and non-weighted leg extensions are good) and slowly add light weight over many weeks.

If, however, you're partial to physical therapy just know that the PT's job is to get to the point where you can actually begin your rehab.

Unless you really know what you're doing, stay away from squats. Most people squat Olympic style, in which your knees move forward and your hips back putting far too much tension on the knee. If you know how to do sumo power lifting squats, where there's no pressure on your knees only your glutes and hips, ultimately that's the best way to gain strength once you've rehabbed for a while. But if all that's gibberish to you, don't squat.

And finally, you might want to wear a sleeve on your knee to give it some stability. Rehband makes the best by far. If you check out their site http://www.rehband.com, the 3mm one probably is suitable--the thicker ones are more for power lifters.

Appreciate the response.

I have been doing crossfit for about 15 months. Legs are extremely strong so no worries about strengthening the muscles. Just need to be careful as I have over done it (I was doing crossfit 6 times a week and running 35 miles a week at the same time). Not very smart obviously. I stopped running altogether for now and do crossfit 5 times a week. Probably still overdoing. Years of beer and chicken wings are too blame and I've dropped about 125 pounds so its hard to stop.

My trainer knows of the situation and am working on alternate exercises while I attempt to heal. I am very familiar with squatting and have always been careful to not put pressure on the knees.

Appreciate the response.

I have been doing crossfit for about 15 months. Legs are extremely strong so no worries about strengthening the muscles. Just need to be careful as I have over done it (I was doing crossfit 6 times a week and running 35 miles a week at the same time). Not very smart obviously. I stopped running altogether for now and do crossfit 5 times a week. Probably still overdoing. Years of beer and chicken wings are too blame and I've dropped about 125 pounds so its hard to stop.

My trainer knows of the situation and am working on alternate exercises while I attempt to heal. I am very familiar with squatting and have always been careful to not put pressure on the knees.

125 lbs down? Way cool. Repetitive motion, overuse injuries are brutal, can't avoid 'em, can't cure 'em. Glad to hear you're a gym rat. If it were me, at this point I'd add a Rehband knee sleeve, take some Advil, keep lifting hard with workarounds as you said, and call it a day. That may not be the popular, quick fix approach but no surgery, even arthroscopic, is a guarantee you'll return to pre-injury health.

manleyzoo said:
125 lbs down? Way cool. Repetitive motion, overuse injuries are brutal, can't avoid 'em, can't cure 'em. Glad to hear you're a gym rat. If it were me, at this point I'd add a Rehband knee sleeve, take some Advil, keep lifting hard with workarounds as you said, and call it a day. That may not be the popular, quick fix approach but no surgery, even arthroscopic, is a guarantee you'll return to pre-injury health.

Yea went from 350 to 225.

My wife is 4 weeks out from bilateral knee replacement and has graduated to walking with a cane and doing great. In the past she had both cortisone and Synvisc shots, which sometimes helped for a few weeks and sometimes didn't make any difference.

This...used to squat heavy (for me anyway)...then went light with nothing over 225 on the bar a few years ago...but even that was starting to kill my knees...they would ache after workouts...

Have now switched to the front grip and am still getting used to it so using virtually no weight...but can go down much further with no pain...get into a yoga squat and get back up...

I am a ball of tendonitis so, at this point in my life, working out is 50% working out and 50% making sure I don't get hurt...

Sucks to get old...but my form is a helluva lot better than when I was younger...has to be...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom