OT - Do you agree with USC or Not (Kliff Kingsbury) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Do you agree with USC or Not (Kliff Kingsbury)

I consider buy outs for when a coach leaves for another job. Not for interviewing.

That is a fair point, unless there is language to requiring permission to speak with potential employers. My first post (#11) shows my opinion of the position of USC is that they are posturing. My second post (#18) is merely discussion of a possible contract. If a buyout clause exists, USC would be signaling they will not yield on the point to discourage any discussions with other employers.

USC has denied their new OC Kliff Kingsbury to interview for NFL jobs. Do you agree with this? What if this was a Syracuse coordinator (selfishly we know the answer) but would you consider this holding him back?

Sources: USC blocking Kingsbury from NFL talks

The latest is he may now resign, so should have been given the opportunity as you may lose him anyway and have hard feelings and a bad image for future coaching candidates there.

https://deadspin.com/report-kliff-kingsbury-could-resign-as-usc-offensive-c-1831519223
“Come coach at USC! You get to deal with crazy fans, an insane admin, and 2 new NFL teams in your home market.”

“Come coach at USC! You get to deal with crazy fans, an insane admin, and 2 new NFL teams in your home market.”

Please remind Dino of this when their HC position opens up.

Why is Kingsbury an apparently hot HC candidate for NFL teams?

Why is Kingsbury an apparently hot HC candidate for NFL teams?

NFL teams are looking for next young, bright offensive mind. (McVay, Nagy, etc.) With so many NFL HC openings this year, and the pickings relatively slim, and searches expansive, unlikely names like Klingsbury have popped up.

This is because of a new rule in the NFL. Before this year, they could reach out to anyone they wanted and speak to them unless of course the coach they wanted to speak to was already employed in the NFL. Now, the NFL requires they get permission to speak to college coaches from the AD/School.

If this was 2017, they would be talking without ever involving the school or AD.
Ahhhh. That’s interesting info. So that’s why the nfl is essentially putting out press releases detailing which teams are interviewing high candidates.

Mmm. How long was Tyus Battle committed to Michigan?
This is an odd take considering one is making millions of dollars and the other has to use the school he was committed to as a tool to make millions of dollars. Picking the wrong one could be catastrophic for Tyus, where Kingsbury just got fired from a multi million dollar deal and immediately picked up another 6 figure deal.

This is an odd take considering one is making millions of dollars and the other has to use the school he was committed to as a tool to make millions of dollars. Picking the wrong one could be catastrophic for Tyus, where Kingsbury just got fired from a multi million dollar deal and immediately picked up another 6 figure deal.
Same principal.
Also, remember when people thought it was a bad idea for colleges to block transfers. Same principal.
Principals should not be dependent upon the money involved.

Brutal analogy. Among the worst I’ve ever seen in my life. Congrats.

Rutgers fans use to say they were becoming the USC of the east. Not letting a coach interview is a Rutgers type move. I don’t believe for one second that USC athletics is really the dumpster fire Rutgers is. Just having a little fun with words. Now you can go back to overreacting to people’s post you don’t understand.

Same principal.
Also, remember when people thought it was a bad idea for colleges to block transfers. Same principal.

Should principles depend on whether you’ve signed a contract? If Kingsbury (like Battle) hadn’t yet signed, USC couldn’t stop him from interviewing elsewhere even if he had verbally told USC he was coming. The downside for Kingsbury in that scenario, though, is USC could view him as disloyal/unreliable and walk away from him because he didn’t have a signed contract. Where the NFL requires a tam to get the school’s permission for an interview, I’m fine with USC saying no interviews for a guy it just hired.

USC is the flagship school in Pac12 and they are done for, and with them goes the conference. Which really is a great thing. Everything about KK revolves around a man crush as he looks like a actor or the lead singer from Maroon 5, but he flamed out at Texas Tech where Leach, who doesn't have Hollywood looks, created a power.

I think it's petty to the extreme to do it to a non-head coach in regards to an NFL head coaching position. I totally get he just signed, but it's a college coordinator to NFL head coach. That's more than a SLIGHT jump in pay and prestige. That's generally the pinaccle of their careers that they have been aiming for. I could get it more if he had just signed as head coach of USC, but even then to not even let him talk is pretty damn petty.

I mean, NFL coordinators generally don't deny interviews denied to become NFL head coaches. If you think his goal in life is to be the OC of USC and not a head coach (especially an NFL head coach) you have a self image problem.

Not to mention the fact that you take a pretty good PR hit and it could very well be a limiting factor for you being able to hire the newest and brightest people over other schools due to this policy.

USC is the flagship school in Pac12 and they are done for, and with them goes the conference. Which really is a great thing. Everything about KK revolves around a man crush as he looks like a actor or the lead singer from Maroon 5, but he flamed out at Texas Tech where Leach, who doesn't have Hollywood looks, created a power.
What the heck are you talking about?
Oregon just signed a top 5 recruiting class. Washington is good under Peterson.
The Pac-12 is fine.
USC will be fine.
KK is going to at worst spend one year at USC as OC and then the same NFL chances or college HC chances will open. USC is doing wrong by him but they want him for atleast one year.

Same principal.
It's not the same. One is a legally binding, signed contract, while the other is a nonbinding, verbal commitment that could be voided by either side without penalty. That's a major distinction.

What the heck are you talking about?
Oregon just signed a top 5 recruiting class. Washington is good under Peterson.
The Pac-12 is fine.
USC will be fine.
KK is going to at worst spend one year at USC as OC and then the same NFL chances or college HC chances will open. USC is doing wrong by him but they want him for atleast one year.
I'm going on about that if he wasn't a super handsome guy he wouldn't be getting all theses offers, and you wouldn't be defending him.

with regard to Arizona, I think if you paired Kingsbury with a legit NFL DC who has proven to be competent at the NFL level and has some experience, say like a Todd Bowles, it's an experiment and risk possibly worth taking. Can't get any worse than the walking corpse they hired a year ago.

The problem is there are so few intriguing candidates and that is why you see Sean McVeigh's yoga instructor and landscaper getting interviews. Adam Gase is getting interviews and was just fired from Miami. It's crazy out there. NFL teams are thinking about taking big swings because of the trends towards more points which doesn't bode well for much of the NFL think tank and hiring Joe Blow coordinator. I still think Mike Leach may be a shot worth taking over Kingsbury, go to the source not the underlings

The funniest thing is, that I think Frank Reich seems to be the best first year HC and he got his job by default more or less. It's crazy

USC has denied their new OC Kliff Kingsbury to interview for NFL jobs. Do you agree with this? What if this was a Syracuse coordinator (selfishly we know the answer) but would you consider this holding him back?

Sources: USC blocking Kingsbury from NFL talks

The latest is he may now resign, so should have been given the opportunity as you may lose him anyway and have hard feelings and a bad image for future coaching candidates there.

https://deadspin.com/report-kliff-kingsbury-could-resign-as-usc-offensive-c-1831519223

Is it in his contract that he can interview for jobs? If so it should be spelled out in his contract what he can do or not do. It is however "Bad Form" as the Brits would say. He comes off as having no class