Class of 2023 - OT/DT Naquil Betrand (PA / MD) Portal from Texas A&M to Bama | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 OT/DT Naquil Betrand (PA / MD) Portal from Texas A&M to Bama

So on one of the sites projecting him to usf. Strange for a Philly kid. Did we offer?

So on one of the sites projecting him to usf. Strange for a Philly kid. Did we offer?

USF just offered him Dec 24.

On3 has him 53.4% to Bama / 45.3% to Cuse. No mention of USF.

247Sports has no crystal balls.

R1vals has no predictions that I can find.

If he’s being offered by ERob I want him. That’s the basis.
Have we really seen confirmation about that, or any indication that ERob is actively looking to pull him?

I'm concerned this is just a recognizable name that people know from the previous regime. Besides, he seems more like a developmental type then a plug-and-play, like other portal transfers might be.

That's why I'm pushing back on "need this one." I'm fine with the staff recruiting him if they choose to, and would like him to eventually land here, because we need better ol prospects. But I think the kid from Georgia will have a much greater immediate impact just for comparison.

Then again, if Bama likes him... that probably answers a lot of questions.

it would be great to pick this guy up as a future talent but he hasn’t done anything yet at the collegiate level. Hard to say if he is an immediate upgrade or not but again a nice piece to add. This isn’t Diggs or Chapell or Heard though.

Have we really seen confirmation about that, or any indication that ERob is actively looking to pull him?

I'm concerned this is just a recognizable name that people know from the previous regime. Besides, he seems more like a developmental type then a plug-and-play, like other portal transfers might be.

That's why I'm pushing back on "need this one." I'm fine with the staff recruiting him if they choose to, and would like him to eventually land here, because we need better ol prospects. But I think the kid from Georgia will have a much greater immediate impact just for comparison.

Post in thread 'OT/DT Naquil Betrand (PA / MD) Portal from Texas A&M'
Class of 2023 - OT/DT Naquil Betrand (PA / MD) Portal from Texas A&M

He’s visiting in early January.

ERob recruited him.

Alabama has offered him out of the portal.

I mean are we really going to argue about an interior OL that Alabama wants as well and has legitimately offered? 1 year ago people were high fiving about flipping an OL from NIU that no other P5 wanted.

Last edited:
it would be great to pick this guy up as a future talent but he hasn’t done anything yet at the collegiate level. Hard to say if he is an immediate upgrade or not but again a nice piece to add. This isn’t Diggs or Chapell or Heard though.
You stated that hat much better than my clunky posts above.

Hope we land him, despite that.

ERob recruited him.

I mean are we really going to argue about an interior OL that Alabama wants as well and has legitimately offered? 1 year ago people were high giving about flipping an OL from NIU.
Who's arguing? I just don't connect with your point that this is a make-or-break recruit, like you suggested above. I think the jury is still out because he hasn't played. That's all

Who's arguing? I just don't connect with your point that this is a make-or-break recruit, like you suggested above. I think the jury is still out because he hasn't played. That's all
Any guys like Haynes or Miller that are young guys that haven’t played yet that Fran watched first hand in practice and were highly recruited we’ve been excited about. This is a kid ERob personally recruited at A&M and watched him in practice for a year, and was highly recruited. He fits the profile. I doubt he’s being recruited because he’s not an upgrade over what we already have. Any kid the staff pursues and thinks is an upgrade for the OL I want us to land. It’s really that simple. These are guys that know talent and that’s enough for me.

The kid from Ga didn't play anymore than this kid, did he?

Any guys like Haynes or Miller that are young guys that haven’t played yet that Fran watched first hand in practice and were highly recruited we’ve been excited about. This is a kid ERob personally recruited at A&M and watched him in practice for a year, and was highly recruited. He fits the profile. I doubt he’s being recruited because he’s not an upgrade over what we already have. Any kid the staff pursues and thinks is an upgrade for the OL I want us to land. It’s really that simple. These are guys that know talent and that’s enough for me.
Again, lots of assumptions. I've seen limited evidence that Erob is actively recruiting him, but lots of speculation alluding to it.

But hope you're right, and the kid is a slam dunk.

I would assume that our DC from Texas AM wouldn't be offering unless he felt the kid could contribute.

The kid from Ga didn't play anymore than this kid, did he?

He did not.
He redshirted

But had exponentially better offers coming out of high school. Hence, my expectation that he'll make a greater immediate impact.

Bertrand also redshirted. I'm just not sure that I agree that he'll have a prospectively bigger impact than more experienced OL portal transfers might have.

Butts would still love to land him, and happily eat crow if proven wrong.

He redshirted

But had exponentially better offers coming out of high school. Hence, my expectation that he'll make a greater immediate impact.

Bertrand also redshirted. I'm just not sure that I agree that he'll have a prospectively bigger impact than more experienced OL portal transfers might have.

Betrand was offered out of high school by Auburn, Cincy, Colorado, Georgia, Kentucky, Nebraska, Pitt, Penn St, Syracuse, Texas A&M, Washington, WVU

That’s still a pretty damn good HS offer list for an NE prospect including multiple heavies.

And to be clear I’m not saying he’s a sure thing, outside of probably Diggs and McCord none of the class is because it’s largely based on potential. But he checks all the boxes of a young OL you’d want without a game resume.

ERob recruited him.

I mean are we really going to argue about an interior OL that Alabama wants as well and has legitimately offered? 1 year ago people were high fiving about flipping an OL from NIU that no other P5 wanted.
Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.

Betrand was offered out of high school by Auburn, Cincy, Colorado, Georgia, Kentucky, Nebraska, Pitt, Penn St, Syracuse, Texas A&M, Washington, WVU

That’s still a pretty damn good HS offer list for an NE prospect including multiple heavies.

Agree in the main -- a bunch of quality schools, with a couple of upper echelon-type offers.

Qualitatively, seems like Miller's were better, but not looking to subjectively split hairs.

Hope we pick up Bertrand, too.

Exactly and Im still waiting on Heard to show something before pencilng him in as well.

He redshirted

Don't get me wrong. I have no idea who will be better. I hope we get Bertrand and he is great.

Agree in the main -- a bunch of quality schools, with a couple of upper echelon-type offers.

Qualitatively, seems like Miller's were better, but not looking to subjectively split hairs.

Hope we pick up Bertrand, too.

This dude just hit the portal today. So how about we grab him AND Betrand? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom