Class of 2021 - OT Enrique A. Cruz Jr (IL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 OT Enrique A. Cruz Jr (IL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20)

If he’s really up to 6’-6” and 290 lbs as the coaches say, that is just awesome news! This kid is going to be a huge piece of the puzzle that is solid offensive production. I see him starting at Tackle in 2022.

So excited to be bringing Cruz in. I really think he is going to be the best lineman we’ve had in a long time. If he is 290 lbs like has been reported, I wouldn’t completely rule out him starting this year either. He probably won’t have enough time to learn everything that’s required by the start of the season though so I think its much more be likely he just gets to see action in 4 games though. I Really think he is going to be such a difference maker. Having a really solid Tackle would be huge for our offense.

So excited to be bringing Cruz in. I really think he is going to be the best lineman we’ve had in a long time. If he is 290 lbs like has been reported, I wouldn’t completely rule out him starting this year either. He probably won’t have enough time to learn everything that’s required by the start of the season though so I think its much more be likely he just gets to see action in 4 games though. I Really think he is going to be such a difference maker. Having a really solid Tackle would be huge for our offense.
I hope he is good enough todo so but I find it extremely hard on young guys like him on the oline strength wise at his age. He may get some reps but I sure hope it’s against someone he can handle physically cause even strong hs kids don’t have the man strength these jr and sr dt or de have. olinemen rarely ever play a ton first year. I hope he gets in 4 games and keeps his redshirt with at least 1 year of solid lifting

Agree. He was a great add to the class and has the potential to be the best guy in this class.

I hope he is good enough todo so but I find it extremely hard on young guys like him on the oline strength wise at his age. He may get some reps but I sure hope it’s against someone he can handle physically cause even strong hs kids don’t have the man strength these jr and sr dt or de have. olinemen rarely ever play a ton first year. I hope he gets in 4 games and keeps his redshirt with at least 1 year of solid lifting
Potential is there but I totally agree. Very rare for O lineman to play early because of the reasons you mentioned. It would say a lot if he played in a few games. It tells us that he's passed up some upper classmen and solidified his future at the tackle position.

Potential is there but I totally agree. Very rare for O lineman to play early because of the reasons you mentioned. It would say a lot if he played in a few games. It tells us that he's passed up some upper classmen and solidified his future at the tackle position.

It makes Bergeron even more semi-superhuman -- that he had all of the physical tools as an incoming frosh. 310 pounds, with not an ounce of fat on him... freakish.

It makes Bergeron even more semi-superhuman -- that he had all of the physical tools as an incoming frosh. 310 pounds, with not an ounce of fat on him... freakish.

I’m pretty sure he effectively prepped a year though because of how the Canadian system is set up. It looks like he was 19 his freshman year so that’s probably correct.

He was nowhere near 310 as a freshman. He was standing up front on the late skytop bus my youngest and we're on after on field autographs post game in 2019. He looked like a basketball player at that point and took until he was speaking French with others for me to see numbers on his sweats and figure out whom it was.

Has to be 30 lbs bigger now which bodes well for strength added to considerable talent level.

I certainly agree that it is unusual for a Freshman to start. We often don't bring in OT's that have enough size when they initially get to campus. This is a kid we recruited with exceptional athletic ability and movement skills for an OL that was a little slight on weight initially. But now he appears he has begun to develop his body more and gotten up to 290 lbs by January or so. Looking at his type of frame i'm guessing it isn't much bad weight. You certainly need to be strong at Tackle but its not quite like the inside. Athletic ability is huge out there on the edge. Just viewing that one play on post 111 shows you how explosive this kid can be. He has until the fall to keep improving his strength to be able to withstand a big man bull rush. If he can improve upon that further and learn the plays this kid may be ready to start sometime in 2021. Agreed that it doesn't happen often with Freshman, but Bergeron did it. This kid may be one of those exceptions. I'm betting Dino isn't going to be conservative with reserving redshirts at this point. If he shows he can be the better option he'll certainly play. This kid is going to be lights out in pass pro, pulling plays and the screen game.

I certainly agree that it is unusual for a Freshman to start. We often don't bring in OT's that have enough size when they initially get to campus. This is a kid we recruited with exceptional athletic ability and movement skills for an OL that was a little slight on weight initially. But now he appears he has begun to develop his body more and gotten up to 290 lbs by January or so. Looking at his type of frame i'm guessing it isn't much bad weight. You certainly need to be strong at Tackle but its not quite like the inside. Athletic ability is huge out there on the edge. Just viewing that one play on post 111 shows you how explosive this kid can be. He has until the fall to keep improving his strength to be able to withstand a big man bull rush. If he can improve upon that further and learn the plays this kid may be ready to start sometime in 2021. Agreed that it doesn't happen often with Freshman, but Bergeron did it. This kid may be one of those exceptions. I'm betting Dino isn't going to be conservative with reserving redshirts at this point. If he shows he can be the better option he'll certainly play. This kid is going to be lights out in pass pro, pulling plays and the screen game.
Berg is the exception, not the rule. Keep in mind that he played when we had less options. He held his own but Im sure the staff would have played someone else if they had the depth. We now have guys that have started mutiple years at the position. We have back ups thats been in the program for 1 or 2 years, we brought in a juco and grad transfer. Thats the only reason why I dont think he plays year 1. Its not because of his ability and potential.

Last edited:
True but he was from Canada so he was almost twenty at the time I believe. Not positive but he was 2 years older than most freshman. if true that makes him way ahead of a seventeen year old strength wise.

Canadians age faster.

GorgeousVainArabianwildcat-size_restricted.gif

True but he was from Canada so he was almost twenty at the time I believe. Not positive but he was 2 years older than most freshman. if true that makes him way ahead of a seventeen year old strength wise.

Let's be honest about Bergeron -- he had rare physical tools the moment he stepped on campus. A poster compared him to a baseball player above, that's not because he was 270 and needed to bulk up -- its because he literally does not have a gut, despite being a 300 pounder.

He's a freak, he's got NFL caliber physical tools, and he's massive / strong despite not being fat. It's a rare combo -- one we haven't seen too often [ever?] at SU.

Him being a year older than other kids doesn't change any of the above. Freak tools.

Let's be honest about Bergeron -- he had rare physical tools the moment he stepped on campus. A poster compared him to a baseball player above, that's not because he was 270 and needed to bulk up -- its because he literally does not have a gut, despite being a 300 pounder.

He's a freak, he's got NFL caliber physical tools, and he's massive / strong despite not being fat. It's a rare combo -- one we haven't seen too often [ever?] at SU.

Him being a year older than other kids doesn't change any of the above. Freak tools.
Yeah I thought he was 2 years older. My bad

LOVE the comments about our new oline coach and looking forward to seeing our bigs transformed into technicians.

In some past years we've had guys that were undersized and/our not strong enough but the group we have now look the part getting off the bus and in the weight room. I'm EXTREMELY amped to see what coach can do with them with a full off-season to work.

Basketball... And not due to lack of a gut (most our lineman don't in recent years) but moreso lower body build. Looked like a 3/4 combo forward that could play for JB. Not a negative, just a first hand observation.

That said, appears he's added needed good weight since and hasn't hindered his mobility. Guy is a freak athlete and may we'll be out next olineman drafted.