OT: Fine Mess Strategery | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Fine Mess Strategery

Moving The Fine Mess from the Fine Lot (Where to if we have to leave)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The idea of having to tailgate at a location that requires a shuttle isn't perfect. But as mentioned, there is a ton of space. The walk from College Place (where the bus drops you off) to the dome is flat...and that has some appeal. FWIW...the old train will not be coming back any time soon. there was some talk of it being operational for this FB season, but that has died down. SU isn't interested in subsidizing that service.

If they take the FINE lot away and/or anything not in convenient walking distance and I probably bail all together. The goal of customer service is to make the lives of clients/paying patrons easier and/or more enjoyable. If this becomes a logistical hassle it would seriously cause me to reevaluate my desires re SU events and become the more casual fan whose interest fluctuates with the wind. Frankly I'm sick of fighting with them up there with seemingly everything. From the '59 ball fiasco to the constants hassles (albeit less so this year) with ushers to the ticket office games they play. Enough. Fool me once shame on you, fool twice shame on me, fool me 15x then I'm a schmuck.

I've bought extra tix for years to give away every game. Not so inclined as of late and a significant increase in the hassle factor would put me over the brink I fear.

Gotta go with Cuseregular on like this, whenever the fans actually start enjoying something or have a good situation going the administration makes a change. Like Regular I enjoy the fine lot and like beign somewhat reasonably close to the Dome. Not sure im down to move if its not the lot next door which is Standart I think?

The idea of having to tailgate at a location that requires a shuttle isn't perfect. But as mentioned, there is a ton of space. The walk from College Place (where the bus drops you off) to the dome is flat...and that has some appeal. FWIW...the old train will not be coming back any time soon. there was some talk of it being operational for this FB season, but that has died down. SU isn't interested in subsidizing that service.

I think the Trolley Lot is underconstruction the next two FB seasons for that big underground holding tank thingy. If another Stadium West Lot goes away they better be thinking about starting train service up again. SU ought to contract with the Trolley Lot owner and sell it as a tailgate/parking alternative. Advertise it as an alternative for visiting fans too (many whom would be interested in Armory Square).

Standart would be number 1 choice, but with the elimination of the other lots it may end up being a hassle to set up a tailgate. The only private spot I know of is the eye center at Adams and University. Tailgaters have pretty much established themselves there though. I think there are a couple of university lots just to the north of there that might be easier to get into than Waverly. Otherwise North Manley might be the best bet.

Yea, if we can't get a group into Standart, I'd be fine with Manley. What I fear is we may be moving next fall. This is the last season for RAY which is bigger than Fine. Those are big donors, where will they put them? I see the trickle down effect coming. RAY to STDM and some of STDM to FINE.

You realize 12 minutes is a long commute in Syracuse? ;)

BTW, I'll talk to Chris Gedney this weekend and see what he thinks will happen the next few years.

Ask him what they could do for a group of 15-20 tying to move to Waverly. Stranger things have happened.

Ask him what they could do for a group of 15-20 tying to move to Waverly. Stranger things have happened.

Even as a north Manley die hard, if you can get a bunch of waverly passes do it in a heartbeat

Skytop should be considered. Plenty of room and great people up there. The shuttle isn't so bad.

Speaking only for myself, and not my partner in crime--- I'd choose Standart ideally, but realistically it'll be Manley. To me, it's no different than tailgating at a pro stadium with a huge lot. We're not used to it, but that's how it shakes out. The thing is (sorry Jake) I hate the thought of crowded shuttles with fans waiting to get on.

It's a far cry from the years of Q-3 and the epic tailgates we hosted there, but time marches on. And now it's marching right past the Fine Lot.

Sadly, the days of leaving the tailgate at 11:45 and being in your seat before Noon may be over.

I spent a few years tailgating in ESF lots and then we had a spot on the Quad for many years. They were great locations, bathrooms, walk out at halftime and grab a beer and some food, and during the Robinson era I could take my time coming back in. However the university jacked up the Quad price so high we moved to Manley.(If I remember it went from 300 a sean to 1500.) I miss the easy access to the dome but the past few years we have really enjoyed the groups that are out there. Many tailgaters and room to spread out. Nice bathrooms and a quick bus trip or nice walk. This year it is busier and I would guess its because of the construction around the Dome. The only complaint is getting out of the lot after games is a pain in the arse. Most weeks its a mess and for no good reason. We normally hang out and wait out most of the cars. Just my two cents.

Sadly, the days of leaving the tailgate at 11:45 and being in your seat before Noon may be over.

Indeed. that is a major downside of Manley. We start cleaning up at 11:15 for nooners.

The only complaint is getting out of the lot after games is a pain in the arse. Most weeks its a mess and for no good reason. We normally hang out and wait out most of the cars. Just my two cents.

Getting out of the Manley lot?? You must be talking about South Manley. North Manley is piece of cake getting out of.

Speaking only for myself, and not my partner in crime--- I'd choose Standart ideally, but realistically it'll be Manley. To me, it's no different than tailgating at a pro stadium with a huge lot. We're not used to it, but that's how it shakes out. The thing is (sorry Jake) I hate the thought of crowded shuttles with fans waiting to get on.

It's a far cry from the years of Q-3 and the epic tailgates we hosted there, but time marches on. And now it's marching right past the Fine Lot.

Will you bring 6 bottles of bubbly to toast our demise? Hopefully I get some encouraging words this weekend.

Personally I hope we can get grandfathered into the Fine Lot...but the "Rent May Be Too Damn High!" Hopefully I can corner TGD this weekend and ask him his parking vision the next 5 years for Stadium West.

Indeed. that is a major downside of Manley. We start cleaning up at 11:15 for nooners.
Well we start cleaning up at 11:30 for the Fine Lot...but Xtreme is correct we can walk out of the Fine Lot about 10 mins prior to kick and easily make it to our seats.(Section 302).

If you cut through the cemetery in a straight line to the dome its a 12 minute walk. been doing it for 9 years. piece of cake

Is that walk handicapped accessible? There are some old people in this group you know.

Is that walk handicapped accessible? There are some old people in this group you know.

its kind of accessible for you "seasoned" folks. But you can always take the shuttle if you want to be sure.

Well we start cleaning up at 11:30 for the Fine Lot...but Xtreme is correct we can walk out of the Fine Lot about 10 mins prior to kick and easily make it to our seats.(Section 302).
Can people who only make it to a game once or twice a year get into the North Manley lot? To me, the big downside to the Fine Lot is that it is hard for people to get to who don't have a pass, especially if they are bringing stuff. The ideal location would support having people buy a pass for all games or pay on a game by game basis as needed.

I am not a fan of shuttle buses either (I will walk no matter what) but as others have said, while the walk from North Manley might be double the length, it is flat, which might make it a wash for some. Heck, just having the option of not walking period might make it more attractive for some.

Would be nice to have a lot we should be able to count on for many years. North Manley sounds like it could fit that bill.

Still like the big lot on Harrison owned by the Syracuse school district. Tons of room, very cheap and anyone that wants to can park there. Easy to get in and out of as well. But you end up maybe 10 blocks from the Dome and it is all uphill to get there. And there is no bus shuttle. I suspect this would be a big problem for many of the Fine Lot folks.

Can people who only make it to a game once or twice a year get into the North Manley lot? To me, the big downside to the Fine Lot is that it is hard for people to get to who don't have a pass, especially if they are bringing stuff. The ideal location would support having people buy a pass for all games or pay on a game by game basis as needed.

I am not a fan of shuttle buses either (I will walk no matter what) but as others have said, while the walk from North Manley might be double the length, it is flat, which might make it a wash for some. Heck, just having the option of not walking period might make it more attractive for some.

Would be nice to have a lot we should be able to count on for many years. North Manley sounds like it could fit that bill.

Still like the big lot on Harrison owned by the Syracuse school district. Tons of room, very cheap and anyone that wants to can park there. Easy to get in and out of as well. But you end up maybe 10 blocks from the Dome and it is all uphill to get there. And there is no bus shuttle. I suspect this would be a big problem for many of the Fine Lot folks.

The North Manley lot is pass only. The walk is actually slightly uphill to the dome, but not like the walk from Harrison

As an out of towner who walks to the tailgate from one of the area hotels, getting to Manley will be a pain. Then again, I'm only there once or twice a year.
I like the current location and the old Heroy location as well.

Mark: we're going to have to try to lobby the-powers-that-be to try to hold on to Fine or something nearby. It can't hurt to try.

Will you bring 6 bottles of bubbly to toast our demise? Hopefully I get some encouraging words this weekend.

I don't know about celebrating Fine's demise, but the halcyon Mimosa days may be over. We park in the Irving garage, so it will require a trip both ways across campus-- including perhaps two shuttle rides--to tailgate at Manley. Likely we'd be bringing cash for the organizers instead of food and drink. As Tomcat said, it's very limiting unless it's paid per game. (That pretty much means only Skytop.)

Personally I hope we can get grandfathered into the Fine Lot...but the "Rent May Be Too Damn High!" Hopefully I can corner TGD this weekend and ask him his parking vision the next 5 years for Stadium West.

I'm sure he'll be very upfront and candid with you. ;)

We used to park in North Manley. We tried to get additional passes about 5 years ago. They said that they were no longer selling new passes there. We ended up moving our crew to South Manley. We are overall happier with South Manley.

north manley is not sold out i think they just want to consolidate a bit.. i wonder though it you went in mass if they might offer them up.. I have been a s Manley for 15 years. i walk almost every game and its about 5 min futher than N manley.. On a crappy day the walk can be nasty but no worse than waiting for a bus.. My rule is if the crowd leaves the dome together its faster to walk, once you have to wait one cycle of buses the walk is quicker. and there are several routes thru the cemetery to avoid the hills..

you also have the advantage that people can drop stuff off at manley pretty easily, overflow could park at skytop and someone could make a car run to go get them if its needed, or just ride the bus down from skytop to manley.. its about 10 min from skytop down.

great for me if the move to manley happens.. i hardly ever get to park at S manley walk/ride over.. go past the dome and down the hill to Fine and still have time to get to the game.

Even as a north Manley die hard, if you can get a bunch of waverly passes do it in a heartbeat

We'd need more than a few passes. More like 15-20.