OT: For Sneakerheads Only - Todd Burgan's 95-96 Nike's | Syracusefan.com

OT: For Sneakerheads Only - Todd Burgan's 95-96 Nike's

JDubbin

The ONLY Syracuse Sneakers Avatar Guy
Alright, we're going deep into sneaker culture weeds on this one... As a professed sneakerhead, I hope a few will appreciate this journey.

I've always been a fan of mid 90's Nike Air Max basketball shoes, Back during the 95-96 run by the Orangemen, Todd Burgan's Nike Air Max Uptempo '95's caught my attention - as a 12 year old I thought they looked amazing. Here's a picture of them against Mississippi State during the tourney run. I still would like to add a pair to my current collection. No big deal right?
mar-1996-todd-burgan-of-the-syracuse-orangemen-releases-a-shot-over-a-picture-id227676

The issue is... basically, Burgan's pair of Air Max Uptempo 95's don't exist in the market, and really never have. After spending more hours than I ever should have searching & researching, they aren't a thing. To date, I've only found one other photo on the entire internet of another player wearing them... I'll share that in a bit. There are two close options available for purchase:

Nike Air Max Uptempo 95 - White, Black & Teal (seen worn by 00 on Mississippi State behind Burgan). These shoes can be found just about anywhere.
Nike-Air-Max-Uptempo-95-White-Black-Teal-2015-Product.jpg

Nike Air Max Uptempo 95 - White & Obsidian. This 2nd option is much closer - except for one big difference... Do you see how it's just an outline of the Nike swoosh, whereas Burgan's are filled in/solid? Everything seems to be the same, except that. These are relatively easy to find as well.
Nike-Air-Max-Uptempo-95-White-Obsidian.png

So, are Burgan's customs? Did he draw in the Nike Swoosh with a permanent Marker?! Tell me, what do you think? I recently came across this photo of Scottie Pippen, in an excellent article about Uptempo 95's (Flashback to '95: The Nike Air Max Uptempo - SneakerNews.com). However, that specific shoe is not mentioned/noted in the colorways talked about in the article, it's driving me crazy. So at least I know Burgan wasn't the only one... but where are these shoes?!
scottie-pippen-nike-air-max-uptempo-1.jpg

So, if you can find me that specific kind of Uptempo 95 (white sole, black/obsidian strap around the white upper, filled in Nike swoosh) for sale on the internet ANYWHERE credible, that would be amazing (I'd venmo you some cash, honestly). Or, do you have any insight on the potential for player only versions of the shoe that were never made available to the public? Could be a possibility!

Edit: After searching for Scottie Pippen 95-96 Bulls on Google, there's a few more images of him wearing these... but, no reference of any kind as to the colorway, name or shoe details

Last edited:
Alright, we're going deep into sneaker culture weeds on this one... As a professed sneakerhead, I hope a few will appreciate this journey.

I've always been a fan of mid 90's Nike Air Max basketball shoes, Back during the 95-96 run by the Orangemen, Todd Burgan's Nike Air Max Uptempo '95's caught my attention - as a 12 year old I thought they looked amazing. Here's a picture of them against Mississippi State during the tourney run. I still would like to add a pair to my current collection. No big deal right?
mar-1996-todd-burgan-of-the-syracuse-orangemen-releases-a-shot-over-a-picture-id227676

The issue is... basically, Burgan's pair of Air Max Uptempo 95's don't exist in the market, and really never have. After spending more hours than I ever should have searching & researching, they aren't a thing. To date, I've only found one other photo on the entire internet of another player wearing them... I'll share that in a bit. There are two close options available for purchase:

Nike Air Max Uptempo 95 - White, Black & Teal (seen worn by 00 on Mississippi State behind Burgan). These shoes can be found just about anywhere.
Nike-Air-Max-Uptempo-95-White-Black-Teal-2015-Product.jpg

Nike Air Max Uptempo 95 - White & Obsidian. This 2nd option is much closer - except for one big difference... Do you see how it's just an outline of the Nike swoosh, whereas Burgan's are filled in/solid? Everything seems to be the same, except that. These are relatively easy to find as well.
Nike-Air-Max-Uptempo-95-White-Obsidian.png

So, are Burgan's customs? Did he draw in the Nike Swoosh with a permanent Marker?! Tell me, what do you think? I recently came across this photo of Scottie Pippen, in an excellent article about Uptempo 95's (Flashback to '95: The Nike Air Max Uptempo - SneakerNews.com). However, that specific shoe is not mentioned/noted in the colorways talked about in the article, it's driving me crazy. So at least I know Burgan wasn't the only one... but where are these shoes?!
scottie-pippen-nike-air-max-uptempo-1.jpg

So, if you can find me that specific kind of Uptempo 95 (white sole, black/obsidian strap around the white upper, filled in Nike swoosh) for sale on the internet ANYWHERE credible, that would be amazing (I'd venmo you some cash, honestly). Or, do you have any insight on the potential for player only versions of the shoe that were never made available to the public? Could be a possibility!

Edit: After searching for Scottie Pippen 95-96 Bulls on Google, there's a few more images of him wearing these... but, no reference of any kind as to the colorway, name or shoe details

Good luck. where is Burgan these days? Wonder if you could find him on social media and see if he could be of help.

I worked at Champs Sports in Sangertown Square in New Hartford at that time, and I loved those. I had the white/black/teal ones. I have never seen the ones you seek. I don't think we ever even got the obsidian ones, but I do remember Nike being obsessed with that color at the time.

I worked at Champs Sports in Sangertown Square in New Hartford at that time, and I loved those. I had the white/black/teal ones. I have never seen the ones you seek. I don't think we ever even got the obsidian ones, but I do remember Nike being obsessed with that color at the time.

That was when Champs was in a different(smaller) location in the mall than it later moved to right? I bought Shawn Kemp Reebok Kamikaze’s and Fila Grant Hills there around that time.

That was when Champs was in a different(smaller) location in the mall than it later moved to right? I bought Shawn Kemp Reebok Kamikaze’s and Fila Grant Hills there around that time.
We were in the JC Penney wing. It was narrow and long. But, we were the envy of Champs all over upstate New York, because we had more storage than anyone.

I loved those kamikazes, saved up my birthday money for those. That and the air pippens in black red and white were some of my favorite sneakers that weren't jordans.

The Kamikazes will go down as my all time favorite shoe. I loved the Red and Black (my HS colors were red and white) but I couldnt find them in my size. I had the black and blue pair and thought I was the man with those.

A couple of years ago they released them again. I am still kicking myself for not buying a pair when I had them in my hand and was debating.

The Kamikazes will go down as my all time favorite shoe. I loved the Red and Black (my HS colors were red and white) but I couldnt find them in my size. I had the black and blue pair and thought I was the man with those.

A couple of years ago they released them again. I am still kicking myself for not buying a pair when I had them in my hand and was debating.

Ha, I also had the black and blue pair and did the same thing when they re-released.

I definitely rocked the navy FILA Grant Hill 2’s my freshman year of high school ball. At one point, I was feeling extra confident & stylish, so I took a red permanent marker and colored in the white strips around both sides of the shoes... eventually the red turned pink, haha. BALLER status.
47BE4ED0-D3F8-410A-B3D9-D554D67E099B.jpeg

I definitely rocked the navy FILA Grant Hill 2’s my freshman year of high school ball. At one point, I was feeling extra confident & stylish, so I took a red permanent marker and colored in the white strips around both sides of the shoes... eventually the red turned pink, haha. BALLER status.
View attachment 182522

I had the Hill 1‘s for 8th grade b-ball. The following year, my brother got the Hill 2’s, while I went with the Stackhouses. Loved those!

I loved those kamikazes, saved up my birthday money for those. That and the air pippens in black red and white were some of my favorite sneakers that weren't jordans.
What’s funny is the Pippen 1’s were amazing all-time classics & had everything you were looking for in a shoe at that time, the Pippen 2’s are the hottest garbage, haha

Yeah the first Pippen’s were so impressive looking.

Another mid 90s favorite of mine was Chris Webber’s Nike shoe.
Nike Air Zoom Flight 95's are an ALL TIME favorite (And I do have a pair)
s-l640.jpg

Air Penny's 1 & 2 are amazing as well...
Nike-Air-Max-Penny-1-Orlando-2006-Product.jpg

Nike-Penny-II-Black-Royal-Product.jpg

Gotta mention a pair of Nike Air Max Uptempo 97... this is the pair/colorway I own, love 'em
Nike-Air-Max-Uptempo-97-White-Black-College-Navy-2018-Product.jpg

Nike Air Zoom Flight 95's are an ALL TIME favorite (And I do have a pair)
s-l640.jpg

Air Penny's 1 & 2 are amazing as well...
Nike-Air-Max-Penny-1-Orlando-2006-Product.jpg

Nike-Penny-II-Black-Royal-Product.jpg

Gotta mention a pair of Nike Air Max Uptempo 97... this is the pair/colorway I own, love 'em
Nike-Air-Max-Uptempo-97-White-Black-College-Navy-2018-Product.jpg
Loving this thread. Had and still have my original Air Zoom Flights 95 (one of my all time favorites too but not as comfortablefor playing). I had the Air Penny 1s and 2s as well. Also had the Jason Kidd Air Zoom Flight 97...
zoom-fly-5.jpg

All the rest of my basketball sneakers were Jordans.

Yeah the first Pippen’s were so impressive looking.

Another mid 90s favorite of mine was Chris Webber’s Nike shoe.
tbiczksxljiraigykpds.jpg.cf.jpg
Years ago.. I ordered my only none Nike/Jordan basketball sneakers. Eastbay was having a clearance sale, so I bought Chris Webber's Dadas in orange and blue and customized them with my name and number.
Screenshot_20200611-204739_Gallery.jpg

Loving this thread. Had and still have my original Air Zoom Flights 95 (one of my all time favorites too but not as comfortablefor playing). I had the Air Penny 1s and 2s as well. Also had the Jason Kidd Air Zoom Flight 97...
View attachment 182543
My originals! They became outdoor court sneakers years after their original use back in the day...
Screenshot_20200611-204847_Gallery.jpg

View attachment 182543
Haha I had a pair of those too!

At some point or another in late 90's I owned & was known to mess around in some...
Gary Payton's Nike Air Zoom Flight The Glove
nike-air-zoom-flight-the-glove-sl-blk-wht-toe-detail-1.jpg

And one of my boys hooked me up with some Kevin Garnett Nike Flightposite 2's... in this exact colorway. This is inspiring me to add a few more shoes back onto my search list :eek:
1.jpg

Last edited:
I played my 11th grade season in the Air Garnett 1.

Nike-Air-Garnett-Live-Look-.png

And in 10th grade I had the Air Super CB.

nike-air-super-cb-page.jpg.cf.jpg

To my knowledge, neither has ever been retroed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom