OT: Huge story breaking out of Italy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Huge story breaking out of Italy

Shouldn't be, we have the greatest collection of athletes in the world... they just choose to play every other sport on earth. If Dwayne Wade played soccer all his life he would make Messi look like elmer fudd.
I'm a huge soccer fan, but this is hilarious

Soccer is boring and not American????????? but watching cars go round and round for a few hours is All American????????

they're great athletes, but they aren't nearly as athletic.
Trolling hard... this is such a ridiculous statement. Watch an upper level club team (Barca, Man City, Juventus) play a game and the technical skill combined with strength, endurance, and speed is higher than any other sport.

Trolling hard... this is such a ridiculous statement. Watch an upper level club team (Barca, Man City, Juventus) play a game and the technical skill combined with strength, endurance, and speed is higher than any other sport.

Agreed, ridiculous athletes they just aren't oversized or hopped up on a bunch of steroids. I am not a huge soccer guy but bitching about the most popular sport in the world is really dated, IMO. Either ignore the posts or join in, but statements as if USA/ Itlay match is less intriguing or important in the sports world than say a Creighton/ Wichita St basketball game is really nieve and makes one sound uninformed

haha, what is this country coming to?... soccer? thats like our nations D list athletes.
Anyone who says that never had enough skill to be a soccer player and was stuck in the band in high school.

Great win! I hope Forza is okay...

Forza is good..Thanks to everyone for your concern..

I root for the USMNT just as hard as I root for Italy so watching this game is like watching my two kids play against each other. I was happy the US won. They need a win like this more than Italy did.

It is just that I was not introduced to soccer until I moved to Italy in 1978, which also happened to be the year of the World Cup in Argentina where Italy fell one game short of reaching the finals.

Just as my introduction to Louie and Bouie started, and cemented, my lifelong love affair with SU hoops, my introduction to the Azzurri in 1978 cemented my lifelong love of the game and the Azzurri.

Now, if you are making this same post on June 11th after Italy plays Spain in a game that really matters, you may get a different response.

For those of you who don't understand the fuss over a friendly, I agree it is overdone.

Don't get me wrong, it is great to beat one of the historical soccer powers on their home soil and, even though these games are exhibitions, the intensity tends to be more like a regular season game rather than an NFL pre-season game because countries don't like to be embarrassed.

However, both soccer fans and the soccer media are constantly, desperately searching for concrete measuring sticks to "prove" that soccer is improving in this country so every win is treated like a win in the NCAA tournament and a win over a top team is treated like going to the Final Four.

Frankly, it is ridiculous.

The quality of US soccer is constantly improving. End of story.

But just because we beat them in a Friendly, doesn't mean that we have arrived and are now at the same level as them. We aren't.

And as to those of you who are getting insulted by the denigrating comments, get over it. I have been listening to it for the better part of 35 years...

If you notice, anytime there is a post about any other sport there is always some jacka$$, and usually more than one, who feels compelled to announce to the entire board that he/she/they cannot stand the sport. Put up a NASCAR, Rugby or Curling post and see what happens. He!!, put up a hockey, baseball or NBA post, someone will go to town on the sport.

There are sports I really like and sports I have no interest in. I'm sure everybody does. I just don't feel compelled to make sure that the entire board knows exactly which sports I don't like and why I don't like them...

Ok...now back to the road to the final four...which is all I really give a about right now.

Trolling? you. I stated an opinion, clearly unfavorable but I didn'y troll anything. I respect what soccer players are capable of, the level of endurance is amazing but clearly my definition of an athlete is different than yours. Im certainly not saying these players arent talented individuals I just dont think they are the greatest athletes in our country. And its because its populariy doesnt match our European counter parts.

Anyway I played hockey.all my life, which is more the same. You people are taking this like a bunch of babies.

Might just be me but I think that putting soccer posts on the SU basketball board instead of the OT or Pro board might have something to do with the negative reaction.

Trolling? you. I stated an opinion, clearly unfavorable but I didn'y troll anything. I respect what soccer players are capable of, the level of endurance is amazing but clearly my definition of an athlete is different than yours. Im certainly not saying these players arent talented individuals I just dont think they are the greatest athletes in our country. And its because its populariy doesnt match our European counter parts.

Anyway I played hockey.all my life, which is more the same. You people are taking this like a bunch of babies.

They have done studies and show the average player runs over 5 miles a game, for 90 minutes, with little to no break.

I know you are giving them credit on endurance, but the technical skill involved at these higher levels of soccer is so ridiculous, and the athletes themselves are tremendous. Just because Landon Donovan can't do a 360 dunk doesn't make him less athletic.

The mold for a soccer player isn't what it is for other sports, but that doesn't mean they aren't similar if not better athletes.

they're great athletes, but they aren't nearly as athletic.

It's nice to see that you right stupid comments on lots of different topics.

Trying to explain why yesterdays win was significant to someone who doesn't get or follow soccer would be next to impossible.

But Italy is a preeminent world power in soccer, sure they are a little down but they did win the world cup very recently.

The talent pool to choose from Italy vs. USA for soccer is completely different, some of Italy's players who are cut from or don't sniff the national team would be leaders and our best players. Soccer just isn't as popular, mainly due to the lack of a consistent world-class mass marketed professional league which the MLS is trying to become.

Now Imagine that for 88 years the Kansas hasn't lost at the Phog, that even though some games were close, even though not every year did they have top notch teams, but they still defended the arena and never lost there. Now Imagine an improving out of conference squad from a mid-major conference on the rise like maybe a Memphis or a Xavier or Gonzaga, a team that has had moments of brilliance, are always the top dogs of the mid-majors, but still not on the level of the Jay-hawks as a dominant top 5 program.

Now lets say Gonzaga goes into the 88 year old stronghold and wins, wouldn't that be of note?

International play has very few competitions that pit teams from other regions against each other, so in a way each individual game is in and of itself its own single game championship.

what kills me is that Italy has played there 88 straight years without a loss, our national team is trying to get into elite status, and we have what was once considered an elite coach in the sport leading us to a major road win against a top flight international squad.

This one win won't legitimize US soccer to those who don't love or follow the sport, but it will continue to allow the sport to grow and shows the world that the USA intends to compete at the highest level.

I would say the World Cup win over Portugal and tying England are big moments as well, but this is for sure a marquee win on their resume, something no team for nearly a century has been able to claim

And I for one wish there was an International league where the scores of these "friendlies" mattered and that a world cup type tournament occured every single year with the best of the best team invited, say the top 16 in FIFA world rankings, in a best of 3 format. that would be awesome.

The USA has such a short attention span, so that by the time a new world cup rolls around most casual fans have forgotten the last one, and the turnover on the roster confuses many who don't follow it.

Friendlies and exhibition games are misunderstood by non-soccer fans because of the wording. Especially in the last 10+ years these games are more like regular season games than just games that are played for the hell of it. The games also play a role in the world rankings as well which then influence seeding in the World Cup.

However, I'm not arguing that this is the greatest thing to happen in American sports but it is a pretty good win that hopefully means that US soccer is getting better. It wasn't that long ago that Spain abused the US 4 - 0 I believe.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that was the only goal of the game for a 1-0 final score, yes? (no I don't care to look it up myself)

that's my real problem with soccer - when played at a high level it generally/often ends with little to no scoring.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that was the only goal of the game for a 1-0 final score, yes? (no I don't care to look it up myself)

that's my real problem with soccer - when played at a high level it generally/often ends with little to no scoring.

and that's understandable , and the diving and faking injuries is in and of itself a major turn-off for me, someone whose family is infatuated with the sport, played and was a local all north team and local league all-star, played in college, and walked on at a local D1 school (UB).

It's hard to watch the game and recognize it's beauty and subtle tactics unless you are fully enveloped in it.

Its why first person shooters are more popular than strategy games,
and once in awhile a strategy game comes around that everyone unanimously agrees is great. same thing with soccer

and that's understandable , and the diving and faking injuries is in and of itself a major turn-off for me, someone whose family is infatuated with the sport, played and was a local all north team and local league all-star in college, and walked on at a local D1 school (UB).

It's hard to watch the game and recognize it's beauty and subtle tactics unless you are fully enveloped in it.

Its why first person shooters are more popular than strategy games,
and once in awhile a strategy game comes around that everyone unanimously agrees is great. same thing with soccer

One problem I have with the sport is the whole penalty kick thing. You play all this time and then settle it by having penalty kicks? Take a guy off the field for each team and keep playing to make it more challenging. Keep playing full strength. Do anything than having the game settled by hoping the goalie guesses which way to defend the kick.

Friendlies and exhibition games are misunderstood by non-soccer fans because of the wording. Especially in the last 10+ years these games are more like regular season games than just games that are played for the hell of it. The games also play a role in the world rankings as well which then influence seeding in the World Cup.

However, I'm not arguing that this is the greatest thing to happen in American sports but it is a pretty good win that hopefully means that US soccer is getting better. It wasn't that long ago that Spain abused the US 4 - 0 I believe.

It may in fact be the greatest thing to happen to US Soccer though, at least since we beat Spain in the Confederations cup when they were ranked #1! and then went on to their world cup success

Yesterday win was nice to see and I hope we can continue to improve and get more out of these young talents. I've thought Bradley has been our most consistent player in the middle for awhile now just need someone to compliment him. Dempsey and Donovan are studs and I wish Altidore had a little better vision and touch. He is such a big body but he goes down so easy. That shea kid came out of nowhere for me. I hope we can get Agudala and Torres in more I think they both have some serious talent. Great win. I hope we can follow this up with a win over Scotland.

By the way edowd26 is a troll

It may in fact be the greatest thing to happen to US Soccer though, at least since we beat Spain in the Confederations cup when they were ranked #1! and then went on to their world cup success
Thank you for not being a di,k about it. I can appreciate and respect soccer players abilities. I just personally think, which my on concept of what makes a person athletic, that soccer lags behind some of the freaks that play football and basketball

Thank you for not being a di,k about it. I can appreciate and respect soccer players abilities. I just personally think, which my on concept of what makes a person athletic, that soccer lags behind some of the freaks that play football and basketball

and its probably true, but some basketball and football pros lag behind some of the freaks that play soccer!

go look at ESPN the Magazines Body issue from a few years back and look at Oguchi Onyewu's body and its obvious he is an athlete, the display and presentation is different is all

Since I am clearly a troll and have railroaded this thread, for the sake of this argument, what constitutes atheltic ability? How to you weigh each factor?

Personally, I think coordination is a huge part (and i'll concede that soccer players have great coordination except when diving, half the time no one even touches them), speed, agility. I think most factors are innate, but with repatition canbe enhanced. I think endurance to a lesser degree as it can be learned for the most part, but people with type a muscle fibers will likely have better endurance as their muslce's recieve more oxygen and allow for greater distances which would be inherent.

What say you?

I'm tired of the argument that soccer players are substandard athlethetes or whatever podium you want to hide behind because you are uninformed. If you don't like the sport that is fine but to be blind because you don't care for it is simply closed minded. I don't care for rugby all that much but I'm not going to say those guys aren't as athletic as a basketball player. I can see why some people don't care for it, 1. MLS doesn't have the talent level of the big time leagues in Europe, 2. There tends not to be a lot of scoring which is about the only thing personb who doen't know rules can tally, 3. There are a lot of judgement calls and phantom fouls (which drives me bonkers by the way). I wish they could clean that part of the game up. There are so many Vlade Divacs out there.

If you don't like the sport I could careless but if you speak about it you better be informed and if you hide behind "it's just my opinion" then your opinion is based on unintelligent information

I'm tired of the argument that soccer players are substandard athlethetes or whatever podium you want to hide behind because you are uninformed. If you don't like the sport that is fine but to be blind because you don't care for it is simply closed minded. I don't care for rugby all that much but I'm not going to say those guys aren't as athletic as a basketball player. I can see why some people don't care for it, 1. MLS doesn't have the talent level of the big time leagues in Europe, 2. There tends not to be a lot of scoring which is about the only thing personb who doen't know rules can tally, 3. There are a lot of judgement calls and phantom fouls (which drives me bonkers by the way). I wish they could clean that part of the game up. There are so many Vlade Divacs out there.

If you don't like the sport I could careless but if you speak about it you better be informed and if you hide behind "it's just my opinion" then your opinion is based on unintelligent information
holy ... my god, Not once.. NOT ONCE did I say they aren't athletic. On the contrary they are probably in the top 1% as far as athletes in America go. My argument is in the UNITED STATES, our nations best athletes tend to play other sports and this is due to the limited popularity of the sport in this country.

Its not a knock on the game or its players, its just an opinion I HAVE, that anyone is entitled to disagree with. I don't appreciate being called a "Jackass or troll" because I am not like you or other soccer fans. You want to DISCUSS what makes you think otherwise, I am open for a little rhetoric. You have all been overly sensative to a sport you clearly love, I appreciate the passion, but calm the f down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom