OT: I just got a Roku3 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: I just got a Roku3

I still dont get the roku thing. I have every sports channel on the planet so what good would it do me?
Great for movies and music if you have a home theater. Otherwise, if you have all the sports you need, you're all set.

There are lots of private channels available on Roku as well. You can watch almost any type of programming under the sun on a Roku - yes, adult programming too - not that any syracusefan member would be interested in that :) It has far more options than an Apple TV. And that is unlikely to change. Apple TV is really for those wedded to the Apple ecosystem. And I could make a strong argument that even Apple people should buy a Roku instead or in addition to. It is IMHO the best stand alone streamer currently available on the market. I also own a Chromecast and am excited about its possibilities this year. Although, I wish it had a wired option like I have on my Roku. And my Xbox 360 and PS3 do streaming as well. But I find myself using my Roku far more than any of the other options I have.

Is the picture quality on an HD flat screen better with a Roku than using Chromecast?

Great for movies and music if you have a home theater. Otherwise, if you have all the sports you need, you're all set.

lot of tv shows too. ive been watching barney miller on crackle. its not really worth it for sports unless you want out of market games. if i wasnt such a sports fan i would get rid of cable and just use roku.

Is the picture quality on an HD flat screen better with a Roku than using Chromecast?
That depends on the quality of your wi-fi connection. If you have fast wi-fi speeds, you shouldn't see much of a difference. On the other hand, if you have slow wi-fi speeds, you could see a better picture using a Roku with a wired connection. I use my Chromecast for one main reason right now. That's to listen to music using Google Music without having to turn my TV on. I control it using my Android phone. If I wanted to play music using my Roku, I'd have to turn my TV on to see and select what I wanted to play. The cast to feature for Chromecast is also a neat feature which allows you to cast to your TV what is showing in your Chrome browser. And there will be a lot of growth in the number of apps for Chromecast this year. So I think there is a place for both and that's why I own both.

I'm a big Roku fan (and holy crap, ACC Network is on there now? I did not realize that)

For travelers, if your hotel TV has an HDMI port I would honestly just recommend getting a Google Chromecast. It's $35 and lets you stream whatever you can get on your computer directly onto the TV. So basically if you watch Netflix, Hulu, WatchESPN, etc, you can just plug in the Chromecast. Much easier to transport considering there are no wires or anything.

That said, I would certainly recommend Roku for travel, too. It's small, about the size of a hockey puck. One note, though - Roku 3 is HD only, meaning you can't hook it to any non-HD television. You may be better served going for a Roku 2, since you can hook it up via analog, as well, since not all hotels have HDTVs in all of the rooms.
chromecast wont work for most people traveling unless you bring your own wireless. it requires a reboot of the hotspot and most hotels dont give you that control

You would actually watch more hoops if you had it.

I've saved $40 on my cable bill and still have everything I need and more.
Tell me how this works. I watch SU games, primarily - USA, TNT, History, TBS and some other stuff. I am the primary watcher. Kids enjoy cartoon network, Discovery, BBC

You hear about people cutting the cord all the time. But if you're a sports fan like all of us here, it's virtually impossible to do so. You need cable or satellite to watch sports. Unless you plan to spend all your time in a bar which costs money as well. If only ESPN was available without a cable or satellite subscription. I'd gladly pay $20/month for it.

chromecast wont work for most people traveling unless you bring your own wireless. it requires a reboot of the hotspot and most hotels dont give you that control
Really? I did not know that. Very good to know.

There are lots of private channels available on Roku as well. You can watch almost any type of programming under the sun on a Roku - yes, adult programming too - not that any syracusefan member would be interested in that :) It has far more options than an Apple TV. And that is unlikely to change. Apple TV is really for those wedded to the Apple ecosystem. And I could make a strong argument that even Apple people should buy a Roku instead or in addition to. It is IMHO the best stand alone streamer currently available on the market. I also own a Chromecast and am excited about its possibilities this year. Although, I wish it had a wired option like I have on my Roku. And my Xbox 360 and PS3 do streaming as well. But I find myself using my Roku far more than any of the other options I have.
Not entirely true, I can livestream literally anything i want from my computer to the TV wirelessly with AppleTV. I don't have to pay for anything because I can use firstrow, putlocker, and any of those streaming sites.

apple tv might be gone soon though. Apple is thinking of ditching the technology. not sure what that means to existing units. privite Roku channels offer much more than what Apple tv does, but most dont use those.

apple tv might be gone soon though. Apple is thinking of ditching the technology. not sure what that means to existing units. privite Roku channels offer much more than what Apple tv does, but most dont use those.

what are the best private roku channels?

You hear about people cutting the cord all the time. But if you're a sports fan like all of us here, it's virtually impossible to do so. You need cable or satellite to watch sports. Unless you plan to spend all your time in a bar which costs money as well. If only ESPN was available without a cable or satellite subscription. I'd gladly pay $20/month for it.
Agree with this 100%. Sports is the only thing keeping me on more than a basic package. Roku needs to get on that FAST!

Not entirely true, I can livestream literally anything i want from my computer to the TV wirelessly with AppleTV. I don't have to pay for anything because I can use firstrow, putlocker, and any of those streaming sites.
I was referring to the apps or channels on Apple TV vs Roku - there is no comparison between the two. But I understand where you are coming from.

Sounds like too much work and i am too lazy to try.

Roku is incredibly easy to use Marsh. Just plug it in and set it up on your wi-fi network or plug it in wired and add whatever channels you want. Part of the reason it has been so successful so far is its simplicity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom