OT: I just got a Roku3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: I just got a Roku3

iommi

Living Legend
I'm wicked psyched... Any tips/ suggestions...Roku disciples?

I still dont get the roku thing. I have every sports channel on the planet so what good would it do me?

You can use it for things like Netflix and also to watch things you normally have to watch on your computer like WatchESPN, YouTube, etc.

ACC network is on there, fun to watch the highlights from a different perspective.

I like the BBQ channel as well, though the presentation is a bit dry.

Crackle is good - lots of free stooges shows on there, actually got my son addicted.

I'm addicted to a few shows so I haven't explored as much as I should have, jeke is probably the man to best answer.

Got one for Christmas this year from my wife and I love that I don't need to get another cable box from the evil Time Warner.
Right now, I've been watching a lot of Netflix and HBO Go and ESPN.
I haven't spent a ton of time exploring the other channels. It would probably take a day at least to go through them all.

I still dont get the roku thing. I have every sports channel on the planet so what good would it do me?
You would actually watch more hoops if you had it.

I've saved $40 on my cable bill and still have everything I need and more.

I got Apple TV for Christmas. Is it similar to roku? Also, I do a lot of traveling. Does anybody have slingbox? I am very curious if it is worth the money.

iommi said:
You can use it for things like Netflix and also to watch things you normally have to watch on your computer like WatchESPN, YouTube, etc.[/QUOTE
Never used netflix so probably wont do me good

Meatball56 said:
ESPN3 on your TV

I can watch another game and watch an espn3 game on my ipad and not spend money on it.

Of course if you live out of syracuse it may make sense.

mountaincuse said:
You would actually watch more hoops if you had it. I've saved $40 on my cable bill and still have everything I need and more.

I dont see how. You can only watch one game on the tv at once so whether or not you are actually watching the game or running this thing its the same.

ESPN3 often runs several games at once. I will watch one on TV and one on iPad at same time. So would you

Dumb question from a tech dummy...

I travel a lot and am always disappointed in the hotel room channel selection when it comes to sports. Can Roku be used to get other channels on a hotel room tv?

I got Apple TV for Christmas. Is it similar to roku? Also, I do a lot of traveling. Does anybody have slingbox? I am very curious if it is worth the money.
I have Apple TV as well... Got it since I have an iPad and can AirPlay a lot of things. I didn't really know much about roku, but the more I read it offers a lot more apps and channels. I'm content with what I have, but hopefully Apple TV continues to add more to it to keep up with roku.

Meatball56 said:
ESPN3 often runs several games at once. I will watch one on TV and one on iPad at same time. So would you

I do that now. Why do i need roku to do that?

I do that now. Why do i need roku to do that?
His point is you'd be able to watch one espn3 game on the roku and one on the iPad.

Dumb question from a tech dummy...

I travel a lot and am always disappointed in the hotel room channel selection when it comes to sports. Can Roku be used to get other channels on a hotel room tv?

You would need access to a network/WiFi, and a way to connect the Roku to the TV - typically via and HDMI cable.

Meatball56 said:
I mean 2 games both on. ESPN3. Just realize I watch more than you... 2 TVs and the iPad

Not worth it to me.

No you dont. And you are far uglier. I watch every conference. Talk to me when you watch alcorn state/grambling wire to wire.

PBS channel is a must if you're a PBS fan and you live in a city where the affiliate is constant with the programming schedule. I watched Frontline's special on NFL concussions a week before it aired where I live.

The PBS channel, Watch ESPN and the Time Warner channel are all I ever watch on it, but Roku has all the top streaming services (except iTunes) plus hundreds of other channels catering to every conceivable interest.

You would need access to a network/WiFi, and a way to connect the Roku to the TV - typically via and HDMI cable.
How would I get those?

cto said:
How would I get those?

You can buy a HDMI cable for under $10 and then just log into the hotel wifi.

I actually plan to take mine from home to.camp this summer (and borrow my neighbors wifi...)

i mostly bounce hulu and netflix and iTunes. take me 3 months to work thru my queue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom