OT: I would die if I was a hockey fan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: I would die if I was a hockey fan

Hockey playoffs beat the NBA playoffs and it's not really close.
True dat. I was in la a few years ago and spontaneously walked into a kings Canucks playoff game. Was amazed at the electricity ...in LA of all places. I am lifelong bruins fan and will see my second ever playoff game Wednesday at the garden. There is really no comparison between nba and NHL playoffs.

Then you have never really watched a hockey game. You should do yourself a favor and go watch an NHL game in person . Get seats about 10 rows up near one of the goals. I guarantee you will walk out of there playing a new tune about the sport. And remember, most hockey players are younger, on average, than the NBA players.

I've done what you said, and agree that it is first class entertainment. I didn't say they weren't athletes, nor did I say it wasn't a sport. I actually think Olympic hockey is one of the most beautiful, engaging, and captivating sports that exists. I just think hockey, especially the variety of hockey which is "playoff hockey" and the focus of this thread, is shrouded in unnecessary violence, and for some reason (hence my use of "ironic") is praised.

My view is hardly off the off the wall. Take this week's SI, which is perhaps the most mainstream of all sporting publications:

(Page 19)
Stu Hackel: "After watching too much go too far during the first week of the NHL of the NHL postseason, it should be obvious to anyone who has any sense of proportion that the Stanley Cup playoffs are out of control. There have been head rammings, sucker punches, maulings and ambushes, all of which is apart from the more commonplace vendettas, cross-checks, spearing, charging, kneecappings and line brawls we've come to expect each spring. This isn't just hard hockey..."

Also on page 19, a tweet from Sarah Kwok:
"Gotta say I enjoyed that Devils-Panthers game from Sunday night. Perhaps because they decided to actually play hockey."

So, while an elbow from Artest, which is arguably up for interpretation about whether he intended injury or was just having some sort of mental relapse, is universally scorned, plays like Brayden Schenn's crosscheck and Raffi Torres' body blow are seemingly glorified.

So, while an elbow from Artest, which is arguably up for interpretation about whether he intended injury or was just having some sort of mental relapse, is universally scorned, plays like Brayden Schenn's crosscheck and Raffi Torres' body blow are seemingly glorified.

Yet properly suspended 25 games. Artest wont get 10 games and what he did IMO was just as bad.

I've done what you said, and agree that it is first class entertainment. I didn't say they weren't athletes, nor did I say it wasn't a sport. I actually think Olympic hockey is one of the most beautiful, engaging, and captivating sports that exists. I just think hockey, especially the variety of hockey which is "playoff hockey" and the focus of this thread, is shrouded in unnecessary violence, and for some reason (hence my use of "ironic") is praised.

My view is hardly off the off the wall. Take this week's SI, which is perhaps the most mainstream of all sporting publications:

(Page 19)
Stu Hackel: "After watching too much go too far during the first week of the NHL of the NHL postseason, it should be obvious to anyone who has any sense of proportion that the Stanley Cup playoffs are out of control. There have been head rammings, sucker punches, maulings and ambushes, all of which is apart from the more commonplace vendettas, cross-checks, spearing, charging, kneecappings and line brawls we've come to expect each spring. This isn't just hard hockey..."

"Gotta say I enjoyed that Devils-Panthers game from Sunday night. Perhaps because they decided to actually play hockey."

Just stupid on its face. Who here, or anywhere, is praising Schenn's crosscheck or the Torres hit? Torres just got 25 games for that hit, ya wanna bet whether RonRon will get more or less from the NBA? Playoff hockey by nature is tough and physical, but to claim anyone's appreciation for that aspect of the sport is based on cheap plays that were harshly punsihed is either incredibly dumb or intellectually dishonest. Someone earlier also said they appreciated physical NBA play, does that mean they, and the NBA league office, were cheering RonRon on as he went into the stands? The articles you post demonstrate the idiocy of your initial comment, not support it. Hockey fans love tough hard nosed play, not cheap shots. If thats where the love of the sport came from, these people would be praising those plays. Not every sport is everyone's cup of tea, but you first demonstrate a lack of understanding of the game, and now a lack of understanding about your own argument. Sad.

Who here, or anywhere, is praising Schenn's crosscheck or the Torres hit? Torres just got 25 games for that hit, ya wanna bet whether RonRon will get more or less from the NBA? Playoff hockey by nature is tough and physical, but to claim anyone's appreciation for that aspect of the sport is based on cheap plays that were harshly punsihed is either incredibly dumb or intellectually dishonest. Someone earlier also said they appreciated physical NBA play, does that mean they, and the NBA league office, were cheering RonRon on as he went into the stands? The articles you post demonstrate the idiocy of your initial comment, not support it. Hockey fans love tough hard nosed play, not cheap shots. If thats where the love of the sport came from, these people would be praising those plays. Not every sport is everyone's cup of tea, but you first demonstrate a lack of understanding of the game, and now a lack of understanding about your own argument.

Great post

plays like Brayden Schenn's crosscheck and Raffi Torres' body blow are seemingly glorified.

1. who did Schenn crosscheck?
2. Who's glorifying Torres' check on Hossa?

Kinda ironic that there's a thread bashing Artest right next to thread praising boxing on ice.
wrestling with a puck

(Page 19)

I agree with you on Olympic hockey being a far better game. I have no problem with the "honest" fights in the NHL, but all of the sucker punches, blindside hits, etc, really hurt the game.

I got into Hockey five years ago. I now have partial Bruins season tickets. By far my favorite sport to watch live, and just ahead of NFL on Tv.

I have found that the more I get into hockey, the less I like baseball. I can't even watch a baseball game on TV anymore...boring. I still enjoy Fenway though. Even when the Sox are losing, which will be a lot this year.

If you are not a big hockey fan, watch these playoffs. This tournament makes march madness look like a cabbage patch picnic.

I hate how the best team hardly ever wins the National Championship in College basketball. Kentucky won this year but the past couple years its been a joke. Unlike the NBA where the best teams usually win, hockey is annoyingly like college basketball...does the best team ever win? Every year some 8 seed is beating the 1 seed, it makes it really hard to take the playoffs seriously. This year both 1 seeds could be bounced by 8 seeds, but then again is anyone really shocked?

I hate how the best team hardly ever wins the National Championship in College basketball. Kentucky won this year but the past couple years its been a joke. Unlike the NBA where the best teams usually win, hockey is annoyingly like college basketball...does the best team ever win? Every year some 8 seed is beating the 1 seed, it makes it really hard to take the playoffs seriously. This year both 1 seeds could be bounced by 8 seeds, but then again is anyone really shocked?
If a goaltender gets hot (like Quick and Anderson have), then they quickly make up for a lot of flaws that these teams have. Tim Thomas put the Bruins on his back last year during their march to the Cup.

Every year some 8 seed is beating the 1 seed, it makes it really hard to take the playoffs seriously. This year both 1 seeds could be bounced by 8 seeds, but then again is anyone really shocked?

You could say the same thing about the NFL. Mediocre (in the reg season) Giants teams had miracle seasons twice in the past 5 years, and two years ago the Packers won three road playoff games to win it all. I don't believe the top seeded AFC and NFC teams have met in the Super Bowl since Bills/Cowboys.

Nope. I just think hockey is boxing on ice.

But your sources do suck, since you mentioned it.

This is certainly one of the more ridiculous comments in forum history...you should try these to really show off your sports knowledge!

Basketball is just track & field on a court!

Baseball is just kickball on a bigger field!

Are you that person that thinks football is just people falling down too?

This is certainly one of the more ridiculous comments in forum history...you should try these to really show off your sports knowledge!

Basketball is just track & field on a court!

Baseball is just kickball on a bigger field!

Are you that person that thinks football is just people falling down too?

Forgive me if I chose the wrong analogy, and should have gone with the MMA. The point stands, that cheapshots and gratuitous violence a la Artest, are a deepseated part of the game.

From yesterday's Ottawa Citizen:

"But violence, brawling, attempts to injure and cheap shots have always been front and centre in hockey. Has everyone forgotten Good Friday 1984?
It is, as Cherry said, war."

"On Friday night, Ottawa 67’s captain Marc Zanetti skated over to an opponent lying on the ice and kicked him in the head. In what other sport, would such a move even dawn on a player, especially in a playoff game? In hockey, it’s not really out of the ordinary."
I'm not saying you can't enjoy or be entertained by hockey, but call it like it is. A play like Artest's would be lost in the morass of hockey cheapshots.

Completely disagree. Playoff Basketball in the NBA is incredible. Best playoffs by a mile imo. Insanely talented and physical. People get the $#$% kicked out of them...with no pads on. I watched the Rangers/Senators game last night and it was pretty good but I just cant get into it.

I love the NBA but NHL playoffs end to end are better.

NBA becomes better around the Conference Finals but the first two rounds of playoffs often end up being duds. There is the occasional 8 over a 1 (Memphis over SA 2011, GSW over Dallas 2007, Denver over Seattle 1994) but usually the better team dominates the early rounds (e.g.) Boston sweeping NYK last season then losing in 5 to Miami.

In the NHL, all you have to do is get in. Countless examples of #7 and #8 seeds making real runs. That coupled with the sudden death of overtime makes it end to end extremely stressful to watch, which is a good thing.

This is exactly what makes it great. See my other post. NFL is the same as hockey. If it weren't then what would be the point of the playoffs? Should Green Bay have been awarded the championship last season when they clearly were the best out of the regular season?

Forgive me if I chose the wrong analogy, and should have gone with the MMA. The point stands, that cheapshots and gratuitous violence a la Artest, are a deepseated part of the game.

"But violence, brawling, attempts to injure and cheap shots have always been front and centre in hockey. Has everyone forgotten Good Friday 1984?

"On Friday night, Ottawa 67’s captain Marc Zanetti skated over to an opponent lying on the ice and kicked him in the head. In what other sport, would such a move even dawn on a player, especially in a playoff game? In hockey, it’s not really out of the ordinary."
I'm not saying you can't enjoy or be entertained by hockey, but call it like it is. A play like Artest's would be lost in the morass of hockey cheapshots.
I don't see how MMA and hockey are in any way comparable, but I'm not even going to touch that one.

The idea that violence in hockey is in some way worse than violence in other sports is crazy. That wouldn't dawn on a player in another sport? Albert Haynesworth stomped on a player's head after his helmet fell off. Dirty elbows are thrown in nearly every NBA game. Pitchers throw at opposing batter's heads with 95 mph+ fastballs. It's funny that a country that loves the big hit in football so easily calls hockey a dirty, violent game. Is it because it's not an American game? I don't really know.

To call hockey like it is? It's an incredible sport played by incredible athletes with as much skill as any professional athlete there is. Try skating full speed and having a pass go just behind you, only to kick the puck to yourself through your skates all without breaking stride. Have you ever watched hockey, or are you just reading sensationalist headlines and picking at the dirtiest aspects of a physical sport? The fact is, if you don't like a sport, you can do exactly what you're doing to prove why it's 'bad.' I personally don't care for lacrosse, and could pull up articles of players dying after getting hit in the chest with a shot and say that it's a dangerous sport that any parent would be reckless for letting their child play.

Have the playoffs this year put hockey in a bad light? Yes. Does Shanahan need to be more consistent? Yes. Did a former NFL player just commit suicide after fighting depression due to constant concussions and brain injuries throughout his career? Yes. Head injuries and violence are not only found in hockey.

They still throw balls at people's heads in baseball - not a contact sport.

That stuff happens in football all the time too - they're both contact sports so you're going to see a lot more physicality - it hardly makes it MMA/Boxing or whatever you're implying. I guess the big difference is they don't allow fighting in football and ESPN when they do show highlights from hockey tend to focus on the fights/big hits.

I haven't seen the clip the writer is referring to but what he's describing would most certainly be out of the ordinary imo.

Still with this idiocy?
Ok fine, you convinced me. Hockey is MMA.
Of course the NFL is just like a mafia war with "families" (Saints) ordering hits on their enemies. It really should be banned.
Then there's baseball which is simply gladatorial combat where there's brutal one on one combat (Ventura Vs Ryan) and sometimes guys even hurl jagged wood to impale the opposition (Clemens). Wow should that one be banned.
I don't even want to get to the NBA. It's friggin Thunderdoom! Anything goes. They don't just fight each other, you have lunatics fighting fans (RonRon) or even choking out their own coaches (Spreewell). I can't believe this league wasn't closed years ago.
Golf really is just a front for prostitution. It's best player uses its proceeds to buy sex from dozens of ladies of the night. Still waiting for the sting opperation on this one.
And really, what are you doing on a site promoting that violent sport of college basketball? Did you SEE Xavier and Cincy last year? It was like a gang war for the streets of Cincinatti. And then Gtown almost causes an international incident with the Chinese that could have led to a nuclear war that would have ended the world all for an uber-violent sport! I DEMAND it's immediately ended!
Really we should abandon all these testosterone fueled death-fests and stick to simpler, calmer, wholesome sports. Like Figure Skating. Wait Tonya who??? She did what??? Crap.

Still with this idiocy?
Ok fine, you convinced me. Hockey is MMA.
Of course the NFL is just like a mafia war with "families" (Saints) ordering hits on their enemies. It really should be banned.
Then there's baseball which is simply gladatorial combat where there's brutal one on one combat (Ventura Vs Ryan) and sometimes guys even hurl jagged wood to impale the opposition (Clemens). Wow should that one be banned.
I don't even want to get to the NBA. It's friggin Thunderdoom! Anything goes. They don't just fight each other, you have lunatics fighting fans (RonRon) or even choking out their own coaches (Spreewell). I can't believe this league wasn't closed years ago.
Golf really is just a front for prostitution. It's best player uses its proceeds to buy sex from dozens of ladies of the night. Still waiting for the sting opperation on this one.
And really, what are you doing on a site promoting that violent sport of college basketball? Did you SEE Xavier and Cincy last year? It was like a gang war for the streets of Cincinatti. And then Gtown almost causes an international incident with the Chinese that could have led to a nuclear war that would have ended the world all for an uber-violent sport! I DEMAND it's immediately ended!
Really we should abandon all these testosterone fueled death-fests and stick to simpler, calmer, wholesome sports. Like Figure Skating. Wait Tonya who??? She did what??? Crap.

You're pretty obtuse, but great stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing if you can miss the point anymore.

Who called for banning a sport? That, my friend, tells me you have interpretation difficulties and further attempts to clarify are likely futile.

The initial post pointed to the irony of a cheap shot in the NBA being vilified, in contrast to a thread about a sport where (as I later referenced) similar behavior is "commonplace", "front and centre", and "not really out of the ordinary".

You're pretty obtuse, but great stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing if you can miss the point anymore.

Who called for banning a sport? That, my friend, tells me you have interpretation difficulties and further attempts to clarify are likely futile.

The initial post pointed to the irony of a cheap shot in the NBA being vilified, in contrast to a thread about a sport where (as I later referenced) similar behavior is "commonplace", "front and centre", and "not really out of the ordinary".
Your only "point" is to over and over again make yourself appear clueless. Do I REALLY have to explain sarcasm? Pssst, I'll give ya a little hint, I don't really believe the Chinese were set to nuke us after the Town fight. I guess I can see how thats confusing to someone like you. So let me be more direct and maybe if someone draws you a map you can follow along. You're original and subsequent posts were so idiotic in nature and completely off the mark I used this neat trick called "sarcasm" to demonstrate equally asinine statements about other sports. Up to speed? Need a crayon?

Yanno what? I apoligize. Too mean, you're doing the best you can with what ya got.

The NHL playoffs are fantastic (especially if the Ranger are in it). However, lets get one thing straight: Ncaa March Madness>Nhl Playoffs and its not even close. NHL Playoffs are exciting and games can end in dramatic fashion in OT. But nothing beats the single elmination, 64 team tournament. Thats drama! Best of 7 game tournaments can be a little long and dry- both nba and nhl.

Yanno what? I apoligize. Too mean, you're doing the best you can with what ya got.
The NHL playoffs are fantastic (especially if the Ranger are in it). However, lets get one thing straight: Ncaa March Madness>Nhl Playoffs and its not even close. NHL Playoffs are exciting and games can end in dramatic fashion in OT. But nothing beats the single elmination, 64 team tournament. Thats drama! Best of 7 game tournaments can be a little long and dry- both nba and nhl.
Thats sort of why those are my 2 fav sporting events, because they are so polor opposite, but each great in their own way. With hockey each round is a war. By the end you despise theother team, their coach, and their fans. Things get chippy, theres highs and lows, and after 2 weeks of this if you come out on top, your reward is to start it all over again with a new team to hate. It takes 2 long hard months of battle to win. You WILL lose games along the way, nobody goes through unscathed. Its exausting as a fan, much less a player. Nothing is more grueling or harder earned in team sport. Then the tourny on the other hand is so fast paced. Those 1st 4 days there are games everywhere. Every one is do or die for both sides. You may have the better team, but one off day and you're done. 9 days after you start, if things went right, you're in the final four. Its a whirlwind and every second is spectacular. Love em both.