OT: Insane temperatures in Southwest today | Syracusefan.com

OT: Insane temperatures in Southwest today

Even in the high 90s here along the Cali central coast, where the temps rarely venture into the 80s. Go inland just a few miles and its near 110. Supposed to get even hotter in the next few days. We saw 107 for a couple of days last year and this high pressure system may get us even hotter. Very, very unusual.

Death Valley is aptly named. Wonder what the temp is in Needles?-VBOF
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372463273.794627.jpg

Jeebus Christmas. heat. I'd rather deal with 5 feet of snow then that heat. And I hate the winter.

102 in Houston today. That's with the usual oppressive humidity though. Even the Mosquitos are taking siestas! (although the roaches are partying in the streets...)

We broke records in UT yesterday too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

We've broken records up here in Alaska the last few weeks. Been in the 90s for a whole now. Something like 90 Forrest fires raging right now. Thursday morning the whole sky was filled with smoke

Remember folks, global warming is a myth. It isn't really like getting smacked in the face with a 2x4 going outside.

Remember folks, global warming is a myth. It isn't really like getting smacked in the face with a 2x4 going outside.

Global warming may be the most real thing ever, but are you seriously going to use 1 week's worth of temperatures in one of the hottest places on earth as your "proof" to call everyone else stupid? Call me back when these temperatures persist into February, for 1,000 years or so in a row.

Global warming may be the most real thing ever, but are you seriously going to use 1 week's worth of temperatures in one of the hottest places on earth as your "proof" to call everyone else stupid? Call me back when these temperatures persist into February, for 1,000 years or so in a row.

If it were just Death Valley this would be applicable. There will be records set in over 100 municipalities on Sunday. Bookmarket.

Oh, and I have argued points on both sides of this issue, but I am a stumpy so Global Climatic Destabilization is a term I've used since 1993.

Global warming is real, but a slow process over well, the globe (i.e., global averages). Hot temps in one place or an unusually active hurricane season can't be attributed to global warming directly like some people and media like to portray. The weather pattern in the U.S. right now is strong high pressure aloft over the SW U.S. which causes these incredibly high surface temps in that part of the nation, with an unusual trough aloft and cooler than normal surface temps in the Midwest/Great Lakes/Northeast. So, average out temps over the whole U.S., and it might come out close to normal, even though no one really is close to normal (temp wise of course).

If you want to get a feel for global warming, take a trip to Canada and check out where glaciers are today vs 25 years ago.

If you want to get a feel for global warming, take a trip to Canada and check out where glaciers are today vs 25 years ago.

But don't glaciers advance and recede constantly? It's what they do... We are setting records for heat, but could that be part of a normal cycle? Tornados are wrecking havoc all over, but is that unusual? We just had an F5 twister this year but we didn't even start to classify tornados and hurricanes until 1971. Forty two years is just a blip on the radar, or am I wrong?

But don't glaciers advance and recede constantly? It's what they do... We are setting records for heat, but could that be part of a normal cycle? Tornados are wrecking havoc all over, but is that unusual? We just had an F5 twister this year but we didn't even start to classify tornados and hurricanes until 1971. Forty two years is just a blip on the radar, or am I wrong?

Over geologic time, not 25 years. Check this out. When I was a soph at ESF this was a glacial wall. Now, the glacier is barely visible.

athabasca_glacier_468.jpg

110 when I left our ranch today . . . 85 when I got back to Brentwood

You do know that at one time glaciers covered New York to a depth of about a hundred feet. So I am going to say your comment is indicative of nothing, except that global climate has always changed.

You do know that at one time glaciers covered New York to a depth of about a hundred feet. So I am going to say your comment is indicative of nothing, except that global climate has always changed.
See the Columbia glacier in Canada. It has receded over 1/2 mile from where it was approx. 25 years ago. It won't come back until our sun starts to burn out.

See the Columbia glacier in Canada. It has receded over 1/2 mile from where it was approx. 25 years ago. It won't come back until our sun starts to burn out.

Scientists are pretty sure there is a Ice Age roughly every 400,000- 100,000 years.

Ever since the Ice age the globe has been warming, it is what it is, technology will overcome the issues in the future. The USA consumes the same amount of oil it did 10 years ago, and think about how more efficient everything is now. Just Sick of hearing about global warming, china puts 10,000 new cars on the road daily and a few new coal power plants. We can't be the only ones waisting our money on green energy bullshit when china, India and other countries could care less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk