OT: Insane weather situation in Atlanta | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Insane weather situation in Atlanta

You know those "Do not remove under penalty of law" tags they put on mattresses? I cut one off...I've got real bad temper.

You're probably that sick freak that squeezes the Charmin' too ...

I-75 is like a scene from the apocalypse.

As a native New Yorker I was laughing yesterday as we closed work at noon but then as an inch of sleet and then 2 inches of snow slowly began to freeze due to the nonexistence of snowplows I realized the struggle was real.

It's basically a giant hockey rink out there.
Not to mention the "plows" they use to clear highways are a single-blade 24" plow someone would clear their driveway with in NY

CusefanATL, etc.. what is going on down there?

CNN saying:

It's like a frozen 'zombie movie'
Thousands of drivers camped out on frozen roads. Some students in Atlanta are still stuck on their school bus. A routine drive home turned into a travel horror show after a snow storm paralyzed the South.

TMCSBfo.jpg

Wait this is over 2 inches of snow? Seriously? Good lord

yes... sounds funny - but the city totally screwed up - no prep to the roads (salt or sand) and told everyone to go home at 1 pm. traffic halted to a standstill and the roads froze.

I'm from Syracuse... you need to be a professional driver to commute on these roads and they wouldn't even have any control.

Its not the 'southerners cant drive' issue, that seems so funny. Its a terrible leadership issue that completely failed us.

It's very embarrassing.

yes... sounds funny - but the city totally screwed up - no prep to the roads (salt or sand) and told everyone to go home at 1 pm. traffic halted to a standstill and the roads froze.

I'm from Syracuse... you need to be a professional driver to commute on these roads and they wouldn't even have any control.

Its not the 'southerners cant drive' issue, that seems so funny. Its a terrible leadership issue that completely failed us.

It's very embarrassing.
Kasim Reed got absolutely torched in a live interview on CNN. It was almost uncomfortable to watch.

It's very embarrassing.

Ah the old everyone leave at once thing. That explains it better. Bad idea

The combination of that many people and bad weather was always going to be a bad situation. I remember getting stuck in traffic on an early release day back when I worked in Boston (think it was the winter of 95/96). Governor sent all non-essential employees home and the schools got released at the same time. Took me 3 hours to get home that day for what should have been a 20 minute drive on 128 and I'm pretty sure I did permanent damage to my bladder.

I have a buddy who works about 45 miles away. He made his 45 mile commute in a little over 8 hours.

His house is 3 miles from mine. He got stuck on a street about 3/4 of a mile from my house, abandoned his car walked to my house and spent the night.

He walked to his house this morning.

i loath people like you- you dont care about the most basic rules of civilized life-
i bet if you have 3 or more of the same thing you count them as only 1

Ill be honest, had to go bulk shopping for my job one time. I had to go to target and buy 500 folders, 500 notebooks, 250 glue sticks, 500 Journals, and 250 glue bottles. So by simple logic, I said ahhh I only have 5 items. Well apparently its against Target policy to enter bulk quantities and the lady had to sit there and hit the enter button 500 times for each folder, 500 times for each notebook and so on.

Wait this is over 2 inches of snow? Seriously? Good lord
Seriously. I mean, I can drive in two inches of snow without any problem. Doesn't matter if they've used salt, sand, or nothing. Any person with a pulse should be able to navigate road ways with two inches of snow on them. Amazing.

Seriously. I mean, I can drive in two inches of snow without any problem. Doesn't matter if they've used salt, sand, or nothing. Any person with a pulse should be able to navigate road ways with two inches of snow on them. Amazing.
just another reason they lost the civil war- cant cope with a few stinkin inch's of snow

That was my thought process as well.

My question is were there not any police officers trying to get traffic moving along? Were people just stuck out there with no help from law enforcement? I find it hard to believe that people could have been stranded 10+ hours in their car.

it had nothing to do with the snow...

the roads are covered in an inch of ICE. you can not drive on it weather you are from Antarctica or Fiji.

Of course 1 can can get around... but millions of cars cannot commute.

You can barely walk on it. Its not slushy... its a solid block of ice.

We drive in snow over half the year here in Alaska, but the second that turns into solid ice, all hell breaks loose. They are prolly running regular summer tires in Atl. Even with bad ass snow tires, a sheet of ice is a sheet of ice. You aint going anywhere

As I said in another posts...people in the South do not know how to drive in this crap. Your big SUV's spinning tires on ice does not work! add not too much snow / salt / sand equipment over a million people on the road and you get bedlam. Took me over 10 hours to get home...just think if there was a Super Bowl here this week. Yikes!

We drive in snow over half the year here in Alaska, but the second that turns into solid ice, all hell breaks loose. They are prolly running regular summer tires in Atl. Even with bad ass snow tires, a sheet of ice is a sheet of ice. You aint going anywhere

Only time I've ever wrecked my car was due to ice. It's nasty stuff.

I remember a November in Rochester in the early '80s when a blizzard was headed our way from the West. Everyone in the city bailed out in the early afternoon, but the storm suddenly turned south at Batavia and we never got much of anything. Better to be safe than sorry, Atlanta. P.S.: 10" here in our little snow pocket of Virginia Beach. I'm having a flashback.-VBOF

I play by my own rules. The other day at the grocery store I went in the 10 items or less aisle with like 13 things.

Just because...

mj-laughing.gif

Charlotte wasn't so bad, but that "black ice" thingy is no joke.
Walking and driving is treacherous in this city, and probably will be for the next day or so.
Still, its fun watching these folks freak out over a couple of inches of snow.
We're DOOOOOOOOOOMED! :D