OT: Ithaca College | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Ithaca College

Yes to all of this. Ithaca, Potsdam (Crane School of Music), and Fredonia are the schools to go to for Music Ed in New York State (excluding NYC). Eastman is one of the best conservatories in the world. As a violinist taking purely performance track, Eastman would be the best. In New York State, Ithaca is probably second, with Fredonia and Potsdam close behind. All of these schools are good for kids who want to perform and get a music education degree. They are all selective, with Eastman being exponentially more selective than the other three.
This sounds harsh but for anyone who is all in on violin performance and not interested in teaching, I would would really think twice if I couldn't get admitted to Julliard, Eastman, etc

I'm not putting down teaching - in lots of ways, I wish I could've convinced myself to be a music teacher - good living, good for my non-existent golf game. But I knew that wasn't for me and I didn't like my odds at making a living performing so I didn't go to school for it. So I think willingness to teach is the big deciding factor

Last edited:
This sounds harsh but for anyone who is all in on violin performance and not interested in teaching, I would would really think twice if I couldn't get admitted to Julliard, Eastman, etc

I'm not putting down teaching - in lots of ways, I wish I could've convinced myself to be a music teacher - good living, good for my non-existent golf game. But I knew that wasn't for me and I didn't like my odds at making a living performing so I didn't go to school for it. So I think willingness to teach is the big deciding factor
Yes it’s a very tough life to only depend on performing jobs for one’s livelihood in music. Millhouse is a great example, he’s an excellent musician, is active in the music scene but outside the profession he chose to follow in college.

I should mention, he’s interested in classical violin. He got into Berklee and, although they have classical, is more of a contemporary music school.

He also got into Oberlin, but not the conservatory. They have a music major degree in their school of Arts & Sciences that has a high degree of crossover with the conservatory, but, still, he wouldn’t actually be a conservatory student. I happen to like Oberlin as a choice because it gives an outstanding opportunity for a well rounded liberal arts education.

We also have Ithaca, which is another great choice and he’s been admitted to violin performance. So, Ithaca has what he truly wants.

Having said all that, like a parent, I am worried about jobs after graduation etc, hence my inquiries about Ithaca. I have the same questions about the other two schools too, but each one is a little different.

Now I’m intrigued!
A neighbor kid when I was young was renowned for playing the French horn. She was asked to play in all these symphonies, concerts etc while even in junior high. She graduated in Music from Ithaca, moved to Boston to play in their symphony and other off shoots. However these type of steady ‘gigs’ in concert music are usually dependent on donations, subscriptions, and some government assistance. It wasn’t the steady, reliable, nor monetarily lucrative living that she needed. She ended up returning to college to get a degree in speech/occupational therapy and then played only on the side. I lost track of her after junior high but her parents would tell my mother all about her journey in music. (By the way when I was 11 or 12 she tried to teach me - I couldn’t even get anything other than air out of that thing):)

I should mention, he’s interested in classical violin. He got into Berklee and, although they have classical, is more of a contemporary music school.

He also got into Oberlin, but not the conservatory. They have a music major degree in their school of Arts & Sciences that has a high degree of crossover with the conservatory, but, still, he wouldn’t actually be a conservatory student. I happen to like Oberlin as a choice because it gives an outstanding opportunity for a well rounded liberal arts education.

We also have Ithaca, which is another great choice and he’s been admitted to violin performance. So, Ithaca has what he truly wants.

Having said all that, like a parent, I am worried about jobs after graduation etc, hence my inquiries about Ithaca. I have the same questions about the other two schools too, but each one is a little different.
Is he looking for straight performance or performance and education? Does the high school he’s coming from have a strong orchestra?

Given that scenario, if he doesn't completely hate the idea of becoming a teacher at some point in his lifetime, a double major would be perfect. Plenty of people start at a school like Ithaca, practice like crazy, and then head to an even stronger grad school for a straight performance degree. There are very few people who make it in classical music performance in general and even less who make an orchestra right out of undergraduate school. There is no downside to getting a music ed degree at a school like Ithaca if you are already there. I played in all the top ensembles while being a music ed major (bachelor, masters, and doctorate level) and I still play professionally, but I make a living in the education world. Plus, there are basically zero performers who don't also teach in some capacity.

Edit to add: If he does hate the idea of teaching, a business minor is always a good idea, since musicians often need to operate as small-business owners (marketing themselves, setting up freelance models, etc.)

Last edited:
Forgive me but Ithaca is Gorges correct?

View attachment 226950
Enjoyed reading this thread and it’s a reminder of why I love this community, when we’re not arguing/debating with one another we’re helping!

Almost went to Ithaca myself to play football, until got into another school I loved more. But recall on the visit checking out the gorges and waterfalls. Back many times since.

Wife and I were in Hawaii with 3 other couples doing the sightseeing tourist bit, checking all the sites and waterfalls, etc., More than once, while the other three couples were marveling at “the greatest waterfalls theyve ever seen their lives”, my wife and I would look at each other and laugh, saying we’ve seen better waterfalls in Ithaca NY! It really is gorges!

In fact we’re heading down next Wednesday to make a day of it, check out the sights, grab some dinner and then speaking of music take in a show at the cool old renovated state theater there, an eclectic performer named Father John Misty that I bet a lot of yas here might like.

Last edited:
Look at U of Michigan. Nephew just finished up dual degrees in violin performance and electrical engineering masters (emphasis on microelectronic chip design with 2 internships at major fabs). Classical all the way with the music and very accomplished. Kid is 24 and already has the world by the short hairs. Now pursuing both in Boston.

Look at U of Michigan. Nephew just finished up dual degrees in violin performance and electrical engineering masters (emphasis on microelectronic chip design with 2 internships at major fabs). Classical all the way with the music and very accomplished. Kid is 24 and already has the world by the short hairs. Now pursuing both in Boston.
Out of state acceptance into U Michigan is nearly impossible.

SU91 Echoing what others in this thread have said. My sister did the PT program at Ithaca and is doing very well for herself. She also minored in music and loved it.

My buddy is a high school band teacher in CNY. He said Ithaca is very well-regarded, below Eastman but on par with Crane and above Fredonia.

Out of state acceptance into U Michigan is nearly impossible.
E-dk5v6XoAMoc0Z.jpg

Had a cousin who was a music major (tuba) there, did ROTC, then the Army band, which allowed him to see the world. Beyond that, I got nothing. I will ask my neighbor, who is a music professor at Oswego. I do know that the Crane School of Music at Potsdam is supposed to be very good. I think Fredonia also has a good program. SU was very generous (full tuition) to another cousin, but he played bassoon. (PSU also offered full tuition.)

Update: neighbor got right back to me: “Ithaca has a very good school of music, so a good choice. Cheaper, but still quite good is SUNY Fredonia. Top music schools in NY are Julliard and Eastman School of Music, but highly competitive to get in. Ithaca is awesome!”
(Note: neighbor got her PhD at Cincinnati Conservatory of Music. Her mother sang for the Metropolitan Opera Company. She has a good perspective on this type of thing.) Good luck to your son (and you).

Sorry, posted this on the OT board but no one seems to visit the OT board? Thoughts are appreciated.

My son is looking at schools. Is very interested in Ithaca College, specifically the music school (wants to go for violin performance).

Does anyone know anything about the school? Experience there? Reputation? Good school or bad school? Compared to other schools?

Kid is a good student. 3.9 GPA. 1510 SAT. Already admitted to Ithaca. Wants to go mainly because of music school. I remember Ithaca being an okay, but not great school. Does it still have that reputation?

Thanks.
Rick Beato is an alum and ex faculty

Rick Beato is an alum and ex faculty
Yes, I knew him a bit when I was there. My wife graduated with David Boreanz but unfortunately (or maybe it’s fortunately) they didn’t know each other. I also crossed paths with Broadway’s Kerry Butler, but didn’t really know her. We do have mutual friends though. Advantages of a small school, I suppose.

piano. older i get, my goals are to become bad at as many instruments as possible, which is completely stupid.

Absolutely not!
I have painted my first portrait as of a year ago.
And for my next trick, I'm going to record some songs using GarageBand.
I have a number called "Middle Age Blues" that I wrote about 5 years ago.
I was a decent drummer in my time (very good at percussion, bad with my feet on the bass drum.)
I have a bass, electric guitar and MIDI keyboard. All I want to be able to do is play licks and then use the computer to stitch the pieces together into songs.
I wouldn't be good enough to play whole songs, but if I can play a couple bars, or a couple licks on the guitar or bass, and then patch them together, well, that's how Beck made his name.

Absolutely not!
I have painted my first portrait as of a year ago.
And for my next trick, I'm going to record some songs using GarageBand.
I have a number called "Middle Age Blues" that I wrote about 5 years ago.
I was a decent drummer in my time (very good at percussion, bad with my feet on the bass drum.)
I have a bass, electric guitar and MIDI keyboard. All I want to be able to do is play licks and then use the computer to stitch the pieces together into songs.
I wouldn't be good enough to play whole songs, but if I can play a couple bars, or a couple licks on the guitar or bass, and then patch them together, well, that's how Beck made his name.
Is The Haunt still around? Maybe they have an open mic night.

(I'm sure that it probably closed around 1998 or something!)

Is The Haunt still around? Maybe they have an open mic night.

(I'm sure that it probably closed around 1998 or something!)

When it's done, I should post "Middle Aged Blues" to this site for your enjoyment and mockery.

My sister and Brother in law both got their undergrad an Grad degrees from Ithaca both Graduated in 2008 they both say they loved their experience, loved playing sports there, loved living on the campus apartments, and they met each other there so they would not trade it for the world and they are both very very successful both making well into the 6 figures...…..HOWEVER they both said they could have had the same success and careers at a SUNY school for a fraction of the price.

Yes, I knew him a bit when I was there. My wife graduated with David Boreanz but unfortunately (or maybe it’s fortunately) they didn’t know each other. I also crossed paths with Broadway’s Kerry Butler, but didn’t really know her. We do have mutual friends though. Advantages of a small school, I suppose.
Beato's sister in law was my daughter's first grade teacher. His brother is a very good guitarist too, I never go out to see then but his cover band is very good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom