OT - Jameis out for FULL game against Clemson | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Jameis out for FULL game against Clemson

longislandcuse said:
I doubt it. If that was a no name athlete, no one would care. It blew up because its Jameis Winston, but yes I agree with your last statement.

The coach would care. The AD would care. The person would be suspended but we'd never hear about it because those sports aren't covered.

And at the end if the day, Jameis is just getting a one game suspension. Crazy amounts of attention but only one game off. Early in the year. In 2-3 weeks, it's old news.

Ignoramus Jameis... His new name

Instead of apologizing to woman who he might have offended he apologized to his teammates,coaches and to his fans. These supporters here were not the ones offended. Then he says he's not a "ME" person then says he wants to play football in the games.

Jimbo = Goodell

He was also held at gun point and ordered to the ground by university while hunting varmints on campus with a B.B. gun during his true freshman year and was covered up until recently. This should have come out during the rape allegations when the university was defending his character in the news story after story
Then there was the bb gun fight that destroyed $2,000 worth of campus property.

This isn't a Jameis Winston issue, this isn't a "guy" issue, this is a societal issue.

Everyone wants to generalize this as another act of disrespect towards women due to the NFL issues. No, it's not, go to a club and see how women act, go listen to the lyrics of a Rihanna or Nicki Minaj song and tell me it's just a "guy" issue. There's a lack of respect on both sides now. Women don't respect men and many times rightfully so and men don't respect women and many times, rightfully so.

Young men like Winston are physically much stronger than all but the most athletic women. He is also exhibiting really poor judgment. If that was my child, my employee or a student at my school I would be terrified of his potential to harm women.

This isn't a Jameis Winston issue, this isn't a "guy" issue, this is a societal issue.

Everyone wants to generalize this as another act of disrespect towards women due to the NFL issues. No, it's not, go to a club and see how women act, go listen to the lyrics of a Rihanna or Nicki Minaj song and tell me it's just a "guy" issue. There's a lack of respect on both sides now. Women don't respect men and many times rightfully so and men don't respect women and many times, rightfully so.

And it's getting to the point where people don't respect themselves.

I sound like a prude, but we're living in a pretty trashy society...I'm not liking it.

Already talked to her about this. My mother isn't as uber sensitive about stupid things that have no impact on her like the rest of our society apparently.
BS

Crusty said:

Really? I must have missed the part where my mom met some internet dude named Crusty and shared everything she's offended by. It's a gross generalization that EVERY woman in the world must be offended by what this knucklehead said.

I agree with you, although I think the solution starts by demanding better from men. It's only fairly recently in history that women have cruded up the way men have traditionally "enjoyed" conducting themselves, and like you said it feeds in to a degrading cycle.

I think part of how you break that cycle is by encouraging the men to really think about what it means to be their best selves, and act accordingly. Men lowered the bar, and for a long time women didn't meet them there, but now some of them don't seem to mind mucking it up. If men take on the responsibility to be better, I trust that women will will too. I do feel that in general, in terms of being better people, a woman's inclination tends towards being more caring for others than men, so if that inclination isn't suppressed as it seems it often is now, things can get a lot better.

Some things I believe our society can do to support this is to stop worshiping anti-heroes, not tear down generally good people for the occasional mishap, and celebrate more the people that are trying to be the best they can. Narratives matter. Right now, we and our media loves the villain that appears pious but that is really a hypocrite. Let's have heroes that actually are pious and represent an ideal. The alternative to that is a hero that the part of ourselves that is content to accept our flaws as uncontrollable identifies with, and when that identity is fed we either stagnate, or worse, excuse more backsliding. That's the mental state we're in when we care more about identifying hypocrites than applauding people that have figured out where they're strong enough to make some moral stand, but aren't yet strong enough to make all of the moral stands they should to be consistent. Since we're all imperfect, consistently not being a hypocrite and celebrating the honesty of our shortcomings as an excuse for not being critical is not a greater virtue than striving to be the best people we can. If we succumb to that temptation, we're just a bunch of crabs in a bucket.

Anyway, that's some of the stuff on my mind today.

As one of the "older and more wiser" females on this board I find all of the above comments extremely interesting. Overall, in some settings or circumstances, what he did is not so bad. And yes, both females and males today are much more vulgar and music lyrics are also. But none of those are excuses for certain behaviors. I am not little miss prim and proper by any means. As a matter of fact some pretty choice words will come out of my own mouth in a little bit during the Maryland game. But the difference is knowing what and when certain things are appropriate and when they are not. Yes this is ok in the locker room, in the frat among the guys, and yes it is ok in the sorority house for the women to do their own version of this. Even in the club when a little inebriated is not the worst scenario. The lesson that needs to be learned is where NOT to do it, and when NOT to do it. In the college cafeteria just may be one of those places, and in the hallways outside of a classroom may be another. And shouting it out at the top of your lungs may also not be the best idea. I think everyone on here could agree with that. I think these rules apply whether you are a Heisman winning athlete representing your school or just a regular Joe or Jane. Now add on top of that who he is and he is a really dumb person for doing this.

longislandcuse said:
This isn't a Jameis Winston issue, this isn't a "guy" issue, this is a societal issue. Everyone wants to generalize this as another act of disrespect towards women due to the NFL issues. No, it's not, go to a club and see how women act, go listen to the lyrics of a Rihanna or Nicki Minaj song and tell me it's just a "guy" issue. There's a lack of respect on both sides now. Women don't respect men and many times rightfully so and men don't respect women and many times, rightfully so.
Granted, I'm not familiar with either of their entire catalogues -- but in which songs do Rihanna or Minaj disrespect men? Or is your issue that they're overtly sexual?

Really? I must have missed the part where my mom met some internet dude named Crusty and shared everything she's offended by. It's a gross generalization that EVERY woman in the world must be offended by what this knucklehead said.
I also am NOT offended. Read my post about this. I would hope while your mom is not offended that she taught her son where it might be and might not be appropriate to do this. I know as a mom I did. And I am a pretty easy going mom overall.

llandz said:
I also am NOT offended. Read my post about this. I would hope while your mom is not offended that she taught her son where it might be and might not be appropriate to do this. I know as a mom I did. And I am a pretty easy going mom overall.

If that were your kid would you cheer him on? Why can't an institution supposedly dedicated to education say, "Enough"?

EDIT: Just read your aforementioned post -- spot on. I think the guy is a jerk and wouldn't blush at the latest evidence -- but the institution has to say enough at some point.

Last edited:
ByA_7jBIAAAzpPS.jpg:large

Brett McMurphy‏@McMurphyESPN 7m
Surprised Jameis Winston didn’t dress up like Chief Osceola so he could get on the field