OT: JB and the “A”-word: uncomfortableness abounds. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: JB and the “A”-word: uncomfortableness abounds.

Looks and sounds to me like the same Jim Boeheim we've seen and heard for more years than I can count.
(I only have ten fingers and I'm wearing shoes).

But I do appreciate the William Safire line that remains Spiro Agnew's lasting contribution to American political conversation.
"Nattering nabobs of negativism."
That's when politicians could really criticize the media in style.
What do we have now..."Fake news??"
.No comparison.

I'm not as good as I used to be; but I'm once as good as I ever was.

not too old to cut the mustard, just too tired to spread it around

I just saw the same interview... and agree with Bees. He was very animated ..and sounded great.

I was with him and the team in Italy this summer. He climbed the nearly 400 steps to the top of Florence's Duomo (in each direction). Some of the team members gave up halfway to the top because they could not handle the cramped, steep, hot conditions. Jim is in very good physical shape.
Did he complain about how the food wasn't as good as the Italian food in Syracuse?;)

Ok, I’ll preface this first by saying I’m one of the biggest JB supporters there is.
I was sold on his greatness a couple of years before our ‘96 run to the NC game. At some point i just started to recognize the consistency of his teams, and how year-in & year-out, we were always in the mix for an NCAA spot at the very least, and that’s largely been the case in our new league.
That being said, i found myself feeling, as the kids might say, “some kinda way”, watching JB interviewing during ACC media day.
This is not easy for me to say but, imo, the man looks and sounds, how can i put this delicately...very very old.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m gettin up there in age as well, so it’s not an ageism bias on my part, at least not consciously. I just realized that i was having the same queasy feeling watching him today, that i get sometimes watching Bernie Sanders, or Joe Biden, or hell, Ronald Reagan in the past, just to reiterate that this isn’t about political affiliation. In sports, maybe a Joe Paterno, or Ray Meyer at DePaul as examples, come to mind.
The man seemed a step slower, and honestly, it was a little striking...and a bit uncomfortable, watching that interview.
To be sure, I’d love it if this thread evolves into a sober, measured, and dignified discussion about the merits or fallacies of my perspective, but I realize we have a ton of agenda-driven, nattering nabobs of negativism, just itching to jump in and tell us how much JB’s “lost it”, or that “he’s gotta go”.
That’s not only inaccurate, it’s also unfair. The man can still coach, IMO.
I just wonder if it may be worth exploring whether, (1) this feeling is shared on the board after seeing that interview, and (2) whether we should really anticipate, sooner rather than later, that JB’s not finishing that 5-year contract he’s on.
Apologies for the long OP- this is not an easy subject to broach, nor to write about.

That must have set a record for pre-point disclaimers.

I Googled "Jim Boeheim ACC media day" and there were many links to interviews and press conferences. perhaps we are talking about different ones?

My grandmother had Alzheimer's for the last few years of her life. The difference in her speech and stories from when she was first diagnosed to the very end was a very drastic change.

Of course having gone through that I am quicker to notice anyone of older age repeat their stories or things of that nature. I notice more of my other grandmother and she will catch her self. My mother can repeat herself too.

I think there's certainly different levels, and sometimes you can just chalk it up to the age.

With JB I am sure there's times he will be energetic and passionate, others where he'll be uninterested and bored. Could there be something more dangerous there? Sure. However someone who is in the public eye as much as he is, you will notice it a lot quicker than someone who is not.

Hopefully this is not the case for JB but it's absolutely something that needs to be monitored in any person his age. JB has been an awesome advocate for early screenings for prostate cancer so I am sure he knows how important early detection can be.

All that being said I think he looks and speaks great for his age

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom