OT- JFK Airport | Syracusefan.com

OT- JFK Airport

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
Trying to get out of NYC after the St. Johns game with enough time to be able to meet up with everyone for some post game drinks. So far, I cant find anything out of NYC later than 6:50pm.

Question - For those with experience flying out of JFK, how early do you normally like to get there? The Fairbanks Airport, you can pretty much stroll up a half an hour before your flight leaves lol.

Thanks!

JFK is brutal brother, due to being a huge international airport, traffic with the van wyck etc. Sorry to say this but leave yourself plenty of time, 1 1/2 to 2 hours, but I am a very early bird.

Trying to get out of NYC after the St. Johns game with enough time to be able to meet up with everyone for some post game drinks. So far, I cant find anything out of NYC later than 6:50pm.

Question - For those with experience flying out of JFK, how early do you normally like to get there? The Fairbanks Airport, you can pretty much stroll up a half an hour before your flight leaves lol.

Thanks!
Don't forget to budget time to get to JFK also, although a Sunday afternoon isn't the worst, it's still NYC at Xmas time which is a very busy place. I've never done it, but your best bet might be to take the subway to JFK vs a cab ride. Others could offer their opinion.

I would say to get to JFK by 5 pm at the very latest, but I'm neurotic like that. My days of running through airports stopped when OJ stopped.

Stay the night. Duh... :)

Thats what I'm looking into now. Leaving early Monday morning. The problem is, we are flying into Anchorage and making the 6-12 hour drive depending on weather, to Fairbanks. Flights are way cheaping in and out of Atown.

We both have to work Tuesday.

I'll figure something out. Might just suck it up, and fly into Fairbanks. Either way, I'm not missing this game, and this is going to be the best SU Athletics trip in the world. 2 weeks, 1 football game, 2 basketball games (1 at MSG for the first time, and 1 at the dome with some epic seats). It couldnt have been drawn up anymore perfect.

Be prepared for an expensive cab ride to JFK as well. You can take the subway if you have all day, though. Well, you know what I mean. It would take me around 1 hr 20 min to take the subway to JFK from Wash Hts.

Be prepared for an expensive cab ride to JFK as well. You can take the subway if you have all day, though.

How long are we talking for the subway? We have family in Staten Island, and Long Island. We could get back there after the game, and have someone drive us to the airport. Or, if the subway isnt bad, we would stay with my sister in law in manhattan

How long are we talking for the subway? We have family in Staten Island, and Long Island. We could get back there after the game, and have someone drive us to the airport. Or, if the subway isnt bad, we would stay with my sister in law in manhattan

It would always take me around 1 hr 20-30min to take the subway from Manhattan (Wash Hts. 174th/Ft. Washington) to get to JFK. As mentioned above the TSA lines are no joke so it's an all day event, basically. Catch a ride with someone if it isn't too much trouble for them!

Especially if family is on the south shore of Long Island, that might not be a bad route. South shore meaning 5 towns, long beach, massapequa, etc

Do you have to fly out of JFK? From the MSG area, Newark would be much better.

As all here have said, getting to JFK is a disaster, and I have spent an hour in TSA lines there. You have to plan to be there at least 90 minutes before your flight. Also, make sure you know which terminal your flight is using. If you get dropped off at the wrong terminal, that's another disaster. Unlike places like Atlanta, the terminals are not connected.

Seriously, check out Newark

As all here have said, getting to JFK is a disaster, and I have spent an hour in TSA lines there. You have to plan to be there at least 90 minutes before your flight. Also, make sure you know which terminal your flight is using. If you get dropped off at the wrong terminal, that's another disaster. Unlike places like Atlanta, the terminals are not connected.

Agree on this. MSG is on the west side and close to port authority, lincoln tunnel and other ways to get across the river to NJ. Newark, as compared to JFK, is a pleasure. Haven't had a bad experience yet, and I don't even remember being delayed!

I will deff check out Newark. I believe my wife flew out of there last year when she went home.

I think I'll just look for an early flight monday, and either take a chance that the roads will be passable when I get back to Alaska, or fly right into Fairbanks.

I will deff check out Newark. I believe my wife flew out of there last year when she went home.

I think I'll just look for an early flight monday, and either take a chance that the roads will be passable when I get back to Alaska, or fly right into Fairbanks.
LaGuardia might be worth looking at if a flight transfer is an option. You can take the N or Q to Astoria Blvd, then a 5 minute bus or cab ride to LGA. You can get to Astoria in about 30 minutes on the subway. I would stay over if I were you. It should be a fun day!

Staying over would give you a much better choice of flights from any of the three airports. There is nothing out of Newark after 7:00 PM.

Looking at Expedia.com, I see a Monday flight out of LGA on United that gets you into Fairbanks at 9 p.m. (with stops in Chicago and Anchorage). (Apparently you can connect in Chicago on either the 11 a.m., noon, or 1 pm flight of out LGA, but I'd take the 11 a.m. one because of December weather in Chicago). To me, that sounds better than driving all those hours from Anchorage to Fairbanks. And it would also let you party in NYC on Sunday night. And LGA is by far the easiest airport to get to from Manhattan. Conversely, you could take a 7:45 am Delta flight out of JFK to Fairbanks that makes only one stop (Seattle) that gets you ro Fairbanks at 4:25 pm, If you take that flight, you might want to stay at one of the hotels at JFK on Sunday night --- unless you like getting up REALLY early in the morning.

If you can, upgrade your flight ticket so you get into the quicker security line. I normally fly Jet Blue out of JFK and pay the extra money to skip the long lines at terminal 5.

Thats what I'm looking into now. Leaving early Monday morning. The problem is, we are flying into Anchorage and making the 6-12 hour drive depending on weather, to Fairbanks. Flights are way cheaping in and out of Atown.

We both have to work Tuesday.

I'll figure something out. Might just suck it up, and fly into Fairbanks. Either way, I'm not missing this game, and this is going to be the best SU Athletics trip in the world. 2 weeks, 1 football game, 2 basketball games (1 at MSG for the first time, and 1 at the dome with some epic seats). It couldnt have been drawn up anymore perfect.

Fastest way to JFK from MSG is the LIRR to Jamaica (all trains stop there) and switch to air train. Alternatively, unless I have a super early flight I just take E train to AirTrain because I'm occasionally cheap like that.

Like others have said arrive at least 2 hours early. Almost missed a flight because of TSA after I tried to cut it close and that was stressful.

Fastest way to JFK from MSG is the LIRR to Jamaica (all trains stop there) and switch to air train. Alternatively, unless I have a super early flight I just take E train to AirTrain because I'm occasionally cheap like that.

Like others have said arrive at least 2 hours early. Almost missed a flight because of TSA after I tried to cut it close and that was stressful.

Good info. How long does it take you to take the E to AirTrain from MSG? An hour or so? Just curious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom