OT: Man who fell asleep during Yankees game sues for $10 million | Syracusefan.com

OT: Man who fell asleep during Yankees game sues for $10 million

Eric15

Living Legend
Wait until he sees this...

08-p1.jpg

I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is that his strategy here is "sue for a ton, and then get them just to give you a few grand to walk away and stop bothering them."

my guess is some lawyer saw this during the telecast and found out who this is and contacted him...rutgirl's grad no doubt

Based on the horrendous grammar and numerous typos in the statement, this seems to be quite feasible.

my guess is some lawyer saw this during the telecast and found out who this is and contacted him...rutgirl's grad no doubt

I'm not even sure this attorney even exists. A quick google search of his name turns up basically nothing except for this underwhelming LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/valentine-okwara/77/75a/a07

Also, no one by that name shows up in a Martindale search.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ankees-game-sues-10-million-article-1.1857671

This gentleman fell asleep in the 4th inning of a 1-run Yankees/Sox game, and Dan Shulman and John Kruk made fun of him very light-heartedly. Now he's suing ESPN for $10 million.

Not to pick on baseball, but it's literally the only sport where I've ever seen someone fall asleep in the stands.
I'm thinking about suing a few people on this board because I've fallen asleep reading their posts.

Who told you to put on the balm? I didn't tell you to put on the balm!

When somebody delivers him a sandwich and he starts with the "Who told you to put the cheese on" then shaking his head at the delivery kid "You people with the cheese, it never ends!"

Jackie Chiles is the greatest character in TV history:

Lawsuits like this are why sometimes the USA followed the British method for civil suits. However, I wouldn't like the British method if I had a legit case and lost.
In Britain if you file a claim and lose you must pay the defendant's legal fees.

Lawsuits like this are why sometimes the USA followed the British method for civil suits. However, I wouldn't like the British method if I had a legit case and lost.
In Britain if you file a claim and lose you must pay the defendant's legal fees.
If I could like this 1,000 times I would!
We so need to move towards a "loser pays" system.

I'm not even sure this attorney even exists. A quick google search of his name turns up basically nothing except for this underwhelming LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/valentine-okwara/77/75a/a07

Also, no one by that name shows up in a Martindale search.

There is zero...ZERO...chance of this case going anywhere or of this guy getting a dime from anyone.
It's anyone's guess why this schlub would even want this kind of publicity.

The attorney is registered in NY since last year.
Curiously, he (or another lawyer with the unlikely same name) seems to have ties to a law firm based in Beirut.

I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is that his strategy here is "sue for a ton, and then get them just to give you a few grand to walk away and stop bothering them."

sounds very similar to something else we are all too acquainted with.....

If I could like this 1,000 times I would!
We so need to move towards a "loser pays" system.

I understand the "lay persons" opinion on that, but having a loser pays system keeps poor people from having access to the court room for civil matters. One of the things that keeps the "haves" on their toes is knowing that they can be sued. (Now, cases like this are crap and will likely be summarily dismissed, once it reaches a judge's desk.)
Not all cases that are lost are because they were without merit. Sometimes, if not often, it is because the jury liked or dislike someone more, or they just gave the benefit of the doubt to a person because of their job, rather than the facts, or the fix was in from a state level to prevent a huge award against the state. I have seen all of it.

If it is really a bad case, they can cross claim for attorney's fees and sanctions for brining a frivolous action.

I understand the "lay persons" opinion on that, but having a loser pays system keeps poor people from having access to the court room for civil matters. One of the things that keeps the "haves" on their toes is knowing that they can be sued. (Now, cases like this are crap and will likely be summarily dismissed, once it reaches a judge's desk.)
Not all cases that are lost are because they were without merit. Sometimes, if not often, it is because the jury liked or dislike someone more, or they just gave the benefit of the doubt to a person because of their job, rather than the facts, or the fix was in from a state level to prevent a huge award against the state. I have seen all of it.

If it is really a bad case, they can cross claim for attorney's fees and sanctions for brining a frivolous action.
We all took Civ Pro and understand this, but I hate frivolous lawsuits and this is a frivolous lawsuit to get attention. I don't want all civil cases to be ruled under the British system, but it does keep a lot of dumb lawsuits from being filed. I like the American system for exactly why you said. However, it very hard to get lawyer fees for dismissed cases unless its very blatantly frivolous.