OT: Man who fell asleep during Yankees game sues for $10 million | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Man who fell asleep during Yankees game sues for $10 million

We all took Civ Pro and understand this, but I hate frivolous lawsuits and this is a frivolous lawsuit to get attention. I don't want all civil cases to be ruled under the British system, but it does keep a lot of dumb lawsuits from being filed. I like the American system for exactly why you said. However, it very hard to get lawyer fees for dismissed cases unless its very blatantly frivolous.

I highly doubt any reasonable person would actually waste the time and money to go through with this lawsuit, just some fat slob trying to cash in on his 15 minutes.

I understand the "lay persons" opinion on that, but having a loser pays system keeps poor people from having access to the court room for civil matters. One of the things that keeps the "haves" on their toes is knowing that they can be sued. (Now, cases like this are crap and will likely be summarily dismissed, once it reaches a judge's desk.)
Not all cases that are lost are because they were without merit. Sometimes, if not often, it is because the jury liked or dislike someone more, or they just gave the benefit of the doubt to a person because of their job, rather than the facts, or the fix was in from a state level to prevent a huge award against the state. I have seen all of it.

If it is really a bad case, they can cross claim for attorney's fees and sanctions for brining a frivolous action.
We need some type of modified system so that sanctions for frivolous and malicious cases are MUCH easier to obtain.
Regular everyday people can spend tens of thousands of dollars defending themselves from nonsense.
I'll spare you the examples with which I'm personally familiar.
But just getting an attorney to take it through the motions to dismiss can cost a small fortune against a well-financed evildoer.

Also, in my experience it is rare that our system helps poor people obtain counsel unless there is a strong likelihood of a substantial payday for the attorney.
Most often these people are left to fend for themselves.
And if it's a small claims court case...good luck collecting a judgment if you win.

We need some type of modified system so that sanctions for frivolous and malicious cases are MUCH easier to obtain.
Regular everyday people can spend tens of thousands of dollars defending themselves from nonsense.
I'll spare you the examples with which I'm personally familiar.
But just getting an attorney to take it through the motions to dismiss can cost a small fortune against a well-financed evildoer.

Also, in my experience it is rare that our system helps poor people obtain counsel unless there is a strong likelihood of a substantial payday for the attorney.
Most often these people are left to fend for themselves.
And if it's a small claims court case...good luck collecting a judgment if you win.

And what does this have to do with SU basketball???
Good question.

Pay this man!

image-3725338307.jpg