OT: Mike Brey on Big 12... | Syracusefan.com

OT: Mike Brey on Big 12...

jr4750

All American
“For me the last year wasn’t ‘Are we staying in the Big East or the ACC?’’ Brey said. “My worry was to my (athletic director) was ‘Don’t put us in the Big 12. Don’t you dare.’ I had a conversation with him. I don’t care which league it is, just don’t take me out of the East.’’

haha...

The real story here is how nd used the big 12 to leverage the acc.

Anyone with half a brain knew that Notre dame was not going to send its teams to Lubbock or manhattan Kansas.

Nor we're they going to send them to SMU, Memphis and Boise St. - which is a glorified juco.

Swofford should have known this and gotten more from swarbick.

Anyone with half a brain knew that Notre dame was not going to send its teams to Lubbock or manhattan Kansas.

Nor we're they going to send them to SMU, Memphis and Boise St. - which is a glorified juco.

I tend to agree, but sometimes you just have to overpay for the good in the long run. At least, that's how I look at it. I see the 5 games vs. ACC teams as getting the anti-conference gang used to playing ACC teams. First move towards going all in.

I tend to agree, but sometimes you just have to overpay for the good in the long run. At least, that's how I look at it. I see the 5 games vs. ACC teams as getting the anti-conference gang used to playing ACC teams. First move towards going all in.

If I'm the ACC, Notre Dame doesn't get access to the bowls UNLESS they actually play those 5 games. Years that they don't, no access to ACC bowls. The Big East didn't do that (worst negotiators ever???), so they seldom actually played the 3 Big East games per year that they promised.

Jake, not sure there was more to get on the table...if and when Notre Dame joins a conference, a let's not forget that Notre Dame has agreed to the $50 million and growing cost to leave (of course negotiation etc may come into play) and the Notre Dame President's statement "are all in for ACC"...that the ACC got a great deal out of Notre Dame that has always valued its independence. According to my source, which has proven over the past 9 months to be very right, the expectation is that Notre Dame football will be wearing an ACC logo sometime in future...and that future is not a decade away.

So, according to the article by DeCock (poor guy), the ACC is already planning the contingency for a 16th team. Which means, I have to bet that A) they are talking to the school presidents about who they would prefer, B) they are talking to ND about who they would prefer, and C) they may have contacted potential candidates on the extreme super secret down low to say, get your acts together because you're in consideration.

I think C is highly unlikely at this point, but I am sure that both A and B have been discussed and Swofford has a short list he is keeping his eye on.

Anyone care to guess who might be on that short list besides RU and UConn, especially if ND has some heavy input on it? At least we now know from the article that Team 16 will for sure NOT BE a BBall only school, as #16 will only come in after ND is a full member.

So, according to the article by DeCock (poor guy), the ACC is already planning the contingency for a 16th team. Which means, I have to bet that A) they are talking to the school presidents about who they would prefer, B) they are talking to ND about who they would prefer, and C) they may have contacted potential candidates on the extreme super secret down low to say, get your acts together because you're in consideration.

I think C is highly unlikely at this point, but I am sure that both A and B have been discussed and Swofford has a short list he is keeping his eye on.

Anyone care to guess who might be on that short list besides RU and UConn, especially if ND has some heavy input on it? At least we now know from the article that Team 16 will for sure NOT BE a BBall only school, as #16 will only come in after ND is a full member.
Good points and don' be so tied to Uconn and Rutgers...there are a few others out there...that would be quite interesting...but no rush...not this year anyway.

Good points and don' be so tied to Uconn and Rutgers...there are a few others out there...that would be quite interesting...but no rush...not this year anyway.
Trust me, I'm not tied to UConn or (god forbid) Rutgers. But who else is out there? Unless it's L'ville (and I doubt that, due to academics, whose relevance can't be downplayed), I can't see anyone else from the BE. Cinci/USF/Temple? Doubt it. Who's that leave? Someone from a major conference. No one's leaving the SEC, no one's leaving the B1G (as much as some people would like to say PSU is in play, I don't believe it - why take a pay cut?). Who else (reasonable) is out there? BYU?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not hung up on UConn or RU. In fact, I don't want either of them in the ACC. I was just curious who other people thought were viable candidates either now or in 3 to 5 years from now. Obviously the decision comes down to more than sports. Location and Academics matter to the ACC.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not hung up on UConn or RU. In fact, I don't want either of them in the ACC. I was just curious who other people thought were viable candidates either now or in 3 to 5 years from now. Obviously the decision comes down to more than sports. Location and Academics matter to the ACC.

Trust me, I'm not tied to UConn or (god forbid) Rutgers. But who else is out there? Unless it's L'ville (and I doubt that, due to academics, whose relevance can't be downplayed), I can't see anyone else from the BE. Cinci/USF/Temple? Doubt it. Who's that leave? Someone from a major conference. No one's leaving the SEC, no one's leaving the B1G (as much as some people would like to say PSU is in play, I don't believe it - why take a pay cut?). Who else (reasonable) is out there? BYU?
Great minds think alike ;)

nice to hear... any names worth throwing out...?

There is always the chance that the Penn State and the Big Ten come to an understanding over the Sandusky issues and decide to start from a clean slate going forward. Not likely but better chance than 0%.

IMHO the home run would be penn state.

Pay cut? Maybe not, the football addition on the tv side - remember this is with Norte dame football as well - would be astronomical. There would be no pay cut.

Also penn state is not Midwest school they are a northeast school. Their alumni base is the same as Syracuse. Besides pa - Ny, Nj, Philly, md/dc/va, and south - Atlanta, Florida etc

"And the road does lead in that direction. It always has, which is why landing Notre Dame as a member in everything but football was so important for the ACC. The world of college football is going to reach a point where it’s going to take a conference championship trophy to be guaranteed a spot in a playoff, and while Notre Dame has always been able to trade on its tradition to demand at-large priority, it’s never had an SEC this powerful to contend with before."

The above from the Charlotte newspaper is the most powerful incentive for ND to bring football to the ACC. Once the BCS is gone, ND leverage is weakened to the point they will likely never get to play for the championship if they aren't all in.

Pay cut? Maybe not, the football addition on the tv side - remember this is with Norte dame football as well - would be astronomical. There would be no pay cut.

Also penn state is not Midwest school they are a northeast school. Their alumni base is the same as Syracuse. Besides pa - Ny, Nj, Philly, md/dc/va, and south - Atlanta, Florida etc

With Joe Pa no longer driving the ship, I feel a move of conferences is much more likely. I'm not saying it will happen, but I feel the door is definitely opened now. Paterno was the one who wanted to dictate to the Eastern schools initially and then the one who slammed the door on the traditional series after PSU went to the Big 10. After everything that has happened over the past year, and their continued lack of success in the BIG, I would say that PSU has to consider every option available to them. The irony of it all is that Joe Paterno is gone and this would be the Eastern Football Conference he dreamed of forming years ago...only better because ND would be involved.

I have to think that the increased revenue a 16-team ACC would demand, that includes full members ND and PSU, could match or eclipse anything the other big boy conferences would get. The BIG would do everything possible to stop PSU from leaving, and maybe already have as I have no idea what their contract states about exit penalties, but it is not out of the realm of possibility.

I agree. This would be the ultimate home run ball. Let RU and UConn go to the BIG at that point. With ND, SU, PITT and PSU in the ACC, the conference would dominate NYC and Philly in football.

Does anyone not believe that a conference with Notre Dame,Penn St, Florida St,Clemson,Miami wouldn't match others in football. Then throw in basketball and other Olympic sports. At that point an ACC network would be the most watched in sports history, the money the ACC and ESPN could pull in would double the Big or Pac12 networks.

This would be a wet dream.

Don't laugh at me... but the most logical candidate is Vanderbilt. It is an orphan in the SEC. It is much more an ACC school

Good call. I think they're a great fit.

Don't laugh at me... but the most logical candidate is Vanderbilt. It is an orphan in the SEC. It is much more an ACC school
Well now we got both names...wow you gals and guys are good! (Just a dream though...wait, so was Notre Dame!)

I'll throw one out there (i know it will never happen)- Northwestern. Great academics. Pretty good athletic department. Another major television market. A mid-western partner for Notre Dame.

I honestly think it will be UCONN in the end. BC will be paired with ND, and SU and UCONN will be paired (which is great because the most potential for an all sports rivalry lies with UCONN).

God, Vanderbilt would be a fantastic fit, both in the ACC and away from the SEC (they can't love going up against all those cheater/criminal schools in basketball and football). That's far and away my number one choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom