OT: Mike Gundy saying the quiet part out loud... "its a business" | Syracusefan.com

OT: Mike Gundy saying the quiet part out loud... "its a business"

I'm trying to think if I get a DUI in my current job but stay out of jail, do I even need to tell my employer?
The drunk guy is going to face the music to learn from his actions, as long as it has no impact on the win loss record of the noble head coach.

That decision sends a strong message to the players on his team but it isn't the message Gundy thinks it is.

The drunk guy is going to face the music to learn from his actions, as long as it has no impact on the win loss record of the noble head coach.

That decision sends a strong message to the players on his team but it isn't the message Gundy thinks it is.

If anyone knows, it's this guy. After all:

man-40.gif

Last edited:
What is the normal reaction in the NFL? That should be the model now that these guys are pretty much officially pros.

“I’m not justifying what Ollie did, I’m telling you what decision I made. I thought, well, I probably did that 1,000 times and was just fine. So I got lucky.”

This says a lot. I grew up in a time, like many in this board, when drinking at lunch was not unusual. Anyone from Syracuse remember the corporate I'm Smart card?

It's like smoking now, no one with a brain does it. It scares the heck out me to think there are drunks still on the road, but it is kinda boomery hypocritical to come down hard on someone for something I did pretty regularly.

It’s a business not anything else. I have zero issues w what gundy said. The pearl clutching on the DUI part is on the cops and the law not the coach.

These guys aren’t teachers anymore. They are employers who want best chance to win

“I’m not justifying what Ollie did, I’m telling you what decision I made. I thought, well, I probably did that 1,000 times and was just fine. So I got lucky.”

This says a lot. I grew up in a time, like many in this board, when drinking at lunch was not unusual. Anyone from Syracuse remember the corporate I'm Smart card?

It's like smoking now, no one with a brain does it. It scares the heck out me to think there are drunks still on the road, but it is kinda boomery hypocritical to come down hard on someone for something I did pretty regularly.
I’m Smart was the greatest thing ever created

I'm trying to think if I get a DUI in my current job but stay out of jail, do I even need to tell my employer?
I can't imagine suspending an employee for a DWI. Especially if they're a good employee.

Do you have zero issues with Gundy saying he's driven drunk over 1000 times?
If it was youthful stupidity, of which almost all of my friends at SU took part in at some point, then no. If he's still doing it as a wealthy man who obviously can afford an Uber, he should be in jail.

If it was youthful stupidity, of which almost all of my friends at SU took part in at some point, then no. If he's still doing it as a wealthy man who obviously can afford an Uber, he should be in jail.
Doing something 1000 times isn't youthful stupidity. Doing it once or twice may be.

Nowadays there's literally no excuse. Ubers are $50 max. Take one home.

Do you have zero issues with Gundy saying he's driven drunk over 1000 times?

I’m more concerned he used that in a press conference to explain why he wasn’t suspending a guy who’d been caught driving drunk. It said two things - that he doesn’t think driving drunk is a big deal, and winning isn’t just his top priority - it’s his only priority.

If a coach of a team I rooted for said something that stupid and irresponsible, I’d be fine if he was fired and embarrassed if he wasn’t at least suspended for four games minimum.

You think of all the things over the years that college athletes have faced dire consequences for that have minimal effect on society: taking a few bucks from a booster, petty theft, smoking pot, academic cheating, etc. and they have been kicked out of school.

When you drive drunk you are rolling the dice with the lives of everyone around you. It's basically one of the worst things a person can do. It kills 11k people every year in the US and could kill any of our loved ones tomorrow based on pure randomness.

Gundy is a douche here and based on his haircut I believe that the 1000 number is accurate.

You think of all the things over the years that college athletes have faced dire consequences for that have minimal effect on society: taking a few bucks from a booster, petty theft, smoking pot, academic cheating, etc. and they have been kicked out of school.

When you drive drunk you are rolling the dice with the lives of everyone around you. It's basically one of the worst things a person can do. It kills 11k people every year in the US and could kill any of our loved ones tomorrow based on pure randomness.

Gundy is a douche here and based on his haircut I believe that the 1000 number is accurate.
This, sir, is the post of the day