OT: New Restaurants/Bars in Cuse | Syracusefan.com

OT: New Restaurants/Bars in Cuse

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Clarks is pretty good. No tv's still. An everchanging beer menu. Still has the turkey and roast beef. I still think its the best in town. The rolls come from Harrison Bakery.

The Evergreen is a newer slightly upperscale restaurant/Bar. That's in the old Bull and Bear location.

We also now have a Biergarten next to city hall. That is primarily a soccer bar with German beers. Clinton Street Pub is now a sports bar.

John Stage is also opening Apizza Regionale across from the Dino. That will be a Neopolitan restaurant/pizza place with wine.

http://www.syracuse.com/empire/inde...CgAMAA&usg=AFQjCNHWmJqsx1me6c4qZdxIfUXMmc8LGg

Then there is the Aster Pantry and Lounge in the old PJ Dorsey location.

http://www.syracuse.com/restaurants...ebrand_itself_with_a_more_culinary_focus.html

I'm sure I missed some, but those are a few off the top of my head.

Let's keep it to the last few years.

I'll open up with something new that is something old

Clark's will be on my list to visit this summer. Where else can you get a $1.50 Genny Cream Ale? 35 taps and that Roast Beef Sandwich.

How does the new roll compare to the old one?

http://www.syracuse.com/restaurants/index.ssf/2016/01/clarks_ale_house_syracuse_dining_review.html

So what else is out there downtown, Armory, Wescott, Destiny, the Burbs?
Westcott has the Beer Belly, which has a really funky menu and a surprising decent beer list. And Utica Club for like $2. Right down the street from Alto.

That beer garden, Wolff's, is a dynamite place to watch a game. Big screen TVs and lots of great beer on tap (up to 1 liter pours). They serve three types of food: shelled peanuts, Hoffman's hot dogs, and warm pretzels- but they let you bring in food from outside establishments if you so choose. Plus I would imagine the warm weather is even better- they have main doors from when the building was a firehouse that can be opened to a seating area in front...

I swear I don't work there! :)

That beer garden, Wolff's, is a dynamite place to watch a game. Big screen TVs and lots of great beer on tap (up to 1 liter pours). They serve three types of food: shelled peanuts, Hoffman's hot dogs, and warm pretzels- but they let you bring in food from outside establishments if you so choose. Plus I would imagine the warm weather is even better- they have main doors from when the building was a firehouse that can be opened to a seating area in front...

Webpage?

Love this place. I remember going to the one in Albany when they first opened and saying that a place like that would do great in Syracuse. Free two liter boot on your birthday, free hot dog with a liter, open at like 8am on the weekend, they let people bring dogs in, etc etc. Also don't work there haha.

http://www.wolffsbiergarten.com/syracuse-new-york/

Wolff's is really a cool place. The beer selection leans heavily toward European though so if you're looking for an Ipa you may not have much of a choice. The last time I was there the record for downing a 2 liter boot of beer was 50 seconds. That's world class beer drinking right there!

Off the top of my head:

The roll at Clark's is mediocre; fresh onion rolls were much better. Still a pleasant bar, just not worth comparing to the smaller former space.

York, Aster, and 317 are three new(ish) additions to the downtown dining scene, each good. There's a solid Creole/Cajun joint on East Jefferson that's been around for about a year. Otro Cinco's got a nice space and good food. Evergreen is a nice (limited) beer bar; food's hit or miss in my experience, but it's a better bar than its predecessor, Bull and Bear. I've had a couple really good casual meals from Aloha Bento, a downtown Japanese/Hawaiian place that primarily does take-out. Looking forward to John Stage's new pizza place across from Dino.

Outside of downtown, there are a few good Sichuan places on the boulevard these days. I had a good meal at a random new English fish/chips place out in Solvay. Francesca's has a casual spin-off in Liverpool that's fantastic. Gilda's and Moro's Kitchen are two very good new restaurants in Skaneateles.

Have heard mixed things about the new Chop House on Waring, just east of South Campus. Might be a good higher-end option away from the crowds on a game day. In the same vein, Scotch and Sirloin has employed the former chef from L'Adour for a couple years now and he's doing good things.

Yes it is a great spot. And I don't work there either

Wolff's is really a cool place. The beer selection leans heavily toward European though so if you're looking for an Ipa you may not have much of a choice. The last time I was there the record for downing a 2 liter boot of beer was 50 seconds. That's world class beer drinking right there!
I was there last month, and the record was 17.74 seconds.

Grew up right down the street on Avery Ave!

Had lots of cousins and friends living on Tipp Hill. I grew up - down Avery Hill then back up and off Velasko Rd Hill. We could look out our attic window and see Burnet Park, even Onondaga Lake.

I was there last month, and the record was 17.74 seconds.
Yup. I saw the video last week. 17 seconds. Almost fictional for 2 liters!! I've been there 3 different times for Friends birthdays and the free boot of beer. It gets a little warm towards the end. Great place.

Highly recommend Now and Later, opened Christmas eve and I've probably been there a dozen times already. Also recommend 315 brewing in Warners. Easy drive with 16 beers on tap huge outdoor area. No tvs though at least not yet. Township 5 also has a bunch of new restaurants including an Asian place, longhorn steakhouse, burger restaurant and a local place the brasserie. Last place has a great beer menu but food needs a lot of work

Bars aren't really my scene, but there's a chicken joint I really like on the North Side. It's called KFC.