OT: Noah Syndergaard dumps on Syracuse ... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Noah Syndergaard dumps on Syracuse ...

Sounds like he's dumping on the Mets, not the city of Syracuse. And he's probably right. For a pitcher trying to start getting into your every 5th day routine, making this unnecessary trip up to Syracuse from Sarasota then back down to DC is dumb. Just horrible scheduling by the Mets.

I’m curious how many people in this post ripping on Thor are actually Mets fans. As a Mets fan - this trip is stupid, many Mets players agree, and bravo to Noah for stating that publicly. This trip is an example of what a clown show organization the Coupons have turned the Mets into.

As a Mets fan, I get where Thor’s coming from, but he needs to be smarter about saying stuff like that publicly.

The planned event was to hold an exhibition game outside at the Syracuse Mets stadium but obviously with the weather as it is that isn’t an option.

Multiple MLB teams traveled pretty far today to hold exhibition games at the ballparks of their minor league affiliates. It’s not like this event is something that ONLY the Mets will be doing or have done. It’s pretty standard within the sport at the end of spring training.

I doubt he makes these comments if the Mets open up at home this year but because they go on the road to start the season, going to Syracuse first is now a big deal.

The players don’t understand that this is a chance to build branding with the AAA team that the parent club just purchased. He’s pretty short-sighted and needs some perspective, IMO.

As a Mets fan, I get where Thor’s coming from, but he needs to be smarter about saying stuff like that publicly.

The planned event was to hold an exhibition game outside at the Syracuse Mets stadium but obviously with the weather as it is that isn’t an option.

Multiple MLB teams traveled pretty far today to hold exhibition games at the ballparks of their minor league affiliates. It’s not like this event is something that ONLY the Mets will be doing or have done. It’s pretty standard within the sport at the end of spring training.

I doubt he makes these comments if the Mets open up at home this year but because they go on the road to start the season, going to Syracuse first is now a big deal.

The players don’t understand that this is a chance to build branding with the AAA team that the parent club just purchased. He’s pretty short-sighted and needs some perspective, IMO.

Perfect post. As you mention this isn't unusual. The Royals had a game in Omaha last night. Sure the Mets first game is on the road, but we're not talking cross country. It's in the Eastern time zone. Syracuse to Washington is an hour flight. I'm betting they will still be sleeping in beds in DC tonight. And believe it or not, I'm thinking there will be benefits to having the AAA team a few hours away rather than in Vegas (entertainment options on rehab trips obviously not one of them)

Yes this trip could have been finalized awhile back, but if Thor is expecting to get through April playing for a NY team without any changes to the schedule due to the weather, he's in for a rude awakening.

giphy.gif

I agree completely, and that's where I'm most critical (because I'd be the first one to say that breaking camp and heading up to Syracuse does not sound fun at all and I sympathize with him there).

He really comes across as an uninformed kid who's never looked at a map. SYR > LGA: 30 minutes. SYR > DCA: 30 minutes. Just because they open on the road doesn't actually make things more difficult for him, but he seems to think it does.

Clearly this is a big picture thing with the players - Thor has been vocal about ownership and the front office and this trip was an easy shot. Sadly every step of it has provided proof that this is a PITA for the players. Call them spoiled, uninformed, short sighted, whatever. They don't care about the Syracuse AAA franchise, they care about their mates, their performance and their $.

Also does anyone think the Chiefs got a burst of ticket sales today because of this event?

Also does anyone think the Chiefs got a burst of ticket sales today because of this event?

To some extent, yeah. For the Syracuse organization, this is excellent publicity for an event that, while cool for us diehards, leaves something to be desired for the casuals (midweek, midday, and pretty vague in terms of what actual baseball will be taking place). But I'm told that fan interest has been high and they're expecting over 4,000 today. That's crazy to me, since SU can't draw much more than that for a spring football game on a Saturday, but we'll see.

To some extent, yeah. For the Syracuse organization, this is excellent publicity for an event that, while cool for us diehards, leaves something to be desired for the casuals (midweek, midday, and pretty vague in terms of what actual baseball will be taking place). But I'm told that fan interest has been high and they're expecting over 4,000 today. That's crazy to me, since SU can't draw much more than that for a spring football game on a Saturday, but we'll see.
I hear ya but the Diehards are buying tickets anyway and I am sure the Binghamton area is bringing busloads of folks. I will believe 4,000 when I see it, and I think attendance is going to be good this year - new team, more promotion and Tebow. How it sustains is the question that time will eventually tell.

Why does anyone care how he comes across? He is an excellent pitcher. Enjoy him.
Exactly - and what is he uninformed about? He knows his world and this trip is a PITA for him. Not saying he is right or wrong but I would say he is expressing the viewpoint of 90% of his mates.