OT: O'Bannon vs NCAA lawsuit- the game-changer. | Syracusefan.com

OT: O'Bannon vs NCAA lawsuit- the game-changer.

DoctorBombay

Hall of Fame
Wow.
Sorry if already posted, but we could be looking at an ELE (Extinction Level Event), if this lawsuit goes through.
How this situation is tied into the 4X16 model of conference realignment is still murky. But I'd think the eventual move, if this lawsuit is successful, would be for the conferences to break from the NCAA and write their own rules about athlete compensation.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8914700/ed-obannon-vs-ncaa

The NCAA is getting a dose of its own medicine -- not so easy when you're "competing" with student-athletes on a level playing field. lol.

The author seems to think the players will win the argument. I'm not so sure it's a slam dunk ... valuing the "deal" players make with member schools is a complicated undertaking. Players get a free education and the schools (and by extension, the NCAA) make money selling tickets, merchandise and TV rights. But the question the players (Plaintiffs) are asking is, when does the exchange become unfair? Should a kid be required to sign a contract (at age 17 or 18) surrendering his image for life in order to be eligible to play an NCAA game?

On the University (and NCAA) side, sure they take in huge revenues. But they also have huge capital expenses: large public arenas, staff salaries, and the costs of supporting Title IX sports that are not commercially 'profitable' (I don't mean not 'valuable').

I'm against paying college athletes. But one has to think that there's a way to allow certain individuals (the big stars) to receive a fair share of certain profit the NCAA and universities earn through things video games where the profit from the individuals' "likeness."

And this Charles Pierce guy is a drama queen. "The athletes have found a fair and level field on which to contest the NCAA's control over their lives, and the stakes are as high as they can be."

Control over their lives? Give me a break.

I understand the argument about paying players, but it's not like the free education (which could be valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars) is the "only" benefit these athletes receive. They also receive free athletic gear worth thousands of dollars. Free meals, travel, lodging worth tens of thousands of dollars. Not to mention all the other opportunities afforded them that aren't there for "normal" students, such as the national exposure night in and night out, countless tutoring hours and 24/7 access to state of the art athletic training facilities.

As much as I've questioned the NCAA and it policies over the years, I'm not sure having the inmates running the asylum is a preferable alternative.