OT - Patreon Billing again for Otto's World... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Patreon Billing again for Otto's World...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have to cancel just call your credit card company.

It's an odd situation, but I really don't think that Dean has done anything wrong. He could have charged much more in the beginning and never stopped posting and pretty much all of us would have payed gladly.

It's an odd situation, but I really don't think that Dean has done anything wrong. He could have charged much more in the beginning and never stopped posting and pretty much all of us would have payed gladly.

Ehh, he shouldnt just reopen it and charge ppl $1 when they cant get anything for it. I know its $1 but still, the principle of it says its wrong.

I contacted patreon and asked for a refund (i know that sounds cheap) and was told only the creators (dean in this case) can give one.

Kind of feel like i was stolen from but it is only a $1 and the info provided over the years was worth more than that to me.

What he should have done was released the pod for $1 and then explained the new pricing. Thats transparent.

It's $1 who cares. I moved up to $3 in the span of 10 seconds. Bummer that people are having issues. I don't mind supporting Dean and like listening to his pod. The pod really just reinforced my own beliefs about where we stood with kids. It was still a good listen though.

He addresses this at the end of the pod, one time problem & shouldn't bill for October.

That's all well and good but people lost $1. Who is going to make them whole. These people have families.
Nobody is thinking this way, though. However, when you’re promised access to something at $1 a month, and you get charged after months of non-activity again for something you can’t get access to, with and no notification of the changes, it’s just not a good look. Sorry. The amount does not play a factor. I increased like you did because I value his info... but the way things worked initially comes across as shady business.

Last edited:
He addresses this at the end of the pod, one time problem & shouldn't bill for October.

which pod was that? the august 1st one?

Nobody is thinking this way, though. However, when you’re promised access to something at $1 a month, and you get charged after months of non-activity again for something you can’t get access to, with and no notification of the changes, it’s just not a good look. Sorry. The amount does play a factor. I increased like you did because I value his info... but the way things worked initially comes across as shady business.

Solid response. Post by the seattle guy was not really responsive to anything and hyperbole.

Last edited:
A lot of ultra sensitivity by some around Dean. I've appreciated his insight but have grown tired of things surrounding it. Just my take is all. Carry on...

Mine wasn’t effected at all. It rolled me right into silver level or something and only charged me for this month that has content. Francis explained it in his podcast as well. No complaints from me.

Last edited:
My credit card company put my account on hold due to a suspicious $1 patreon fee - true story. Good to know the banks are always looking out for your best interests.

Ehh, he shouldnt just reopen it and charge ppl $1 when they cant get anything for it. I know its $1 but still, the principle of it says its wrong.

I contacted patreon and asked for a refund (i know that sounds cheap) and was told only the creators (dean in this case) can give one.

Kind of feel like i was stolen from but it is only a $1 and the info provided over the years was worth more than that to me.

What he should have done was released the pod for $1 and then explained the new pricing. Thats transparent.

It's not Dean's fault. Patreon is messed up. It's a hustle and somebody should look into it. My daughter signed up for it a few years ago to support a young unemployed actress who had appeared in some YouTube videos that she followed. It was $10/month, and the girl promised to do a video each month. Inevitably, she would get around to throwing something together at the last minute of the billing period so she could collect her $10 from each of her hundreds / thousand or so subscribers. We couldn't cancel. The web site doesn't make it easy. Patreon are swindlers. That's part of their business model.

If you don’t want the content any more by upping your level to $3 a month, you should just make an effort to cancel your Patreon subscription rather than bitching about it here.

Good call. You must work for Sprint! When I was a customer of them, their strategy was to systematically overcharge people. If the customer either didn’t notice or couldn’t deal with hours on hold to fight the charges, we’ll then I guess it’s just their fault for overpaying! Yay!

Good call. You must work for Sprint! When I was a customer of them, their strategy was to systematically overcharge people. If the customer either didn’t notice or couldn’t deal with hours on hold to fight the charges, we’ll then I guess it’s just their fault for overpaying! Yay!
My problem with your original post is not that you're PO'ed about Patreon charging you for nothing, it's that you're blaming Dean Francis for it. Patreon is your problem, not him as IthacaMatt says in the previous post.

You’re right that I need to cancel, but this is all on Francis, not Patreon. All Patreon is here is the mechanism for providing payment services. Francis is responsible for restricting content from $1 patrons while simultaneously doing nothing to stop them from being charged.

It's not Dean's fault. Patreon is messed up. It's a hustle and somebody should look into it. My daughter signed up for it a few years ago to support a young unemployed actress who had appeared in some YouTube videos that she followed. It was $10/month, and the girl promised to do a video each month. Inevitably, she would get around to throwing something together at the last minute of the billing period so she could collect her $10 from each of her hundreds / thousand or so subscribers. We couldn't cancel. The web site doesn't make it easy. Patreon are swindlers. That's part of their business model.

Im very confused. You just said its not Deans fault then went on to tell a story of a content provider ripping off your daughter.

Patreon makes it very difficult to cancel. I have made my credit card company aware of the problem and they are blocking any future payments.

You’re right that I need to cancel, but this is all on Francis, not Patreon. All Patreon is here is the mechanism for providing payment services. Francis is responsible for restricting content from $1 patrons while simultaneously doing nothing to stop them from being charged.

Not so. Patreon probably keeps the money from inactive accounts.

Im very confused. You just said its not Deans fault then went on to tell a story of a content provider ripping off your daughter.

It's Patreon. Yes, the girl did slapdash work to get her dough.
When my daughter decided to cancel, it wasn't the girl / performer's fault; it was Patreon's. They wouldn't let us cancel. We finally blocked the credit card, and the girl eventually left Patreon for a different platform because she got so many complaints about them and how you couldn't shut off your billing. It was ruining her reputation with her followers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom