OT Qadir White in the transfer portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT Qadir White in the transfer portal

If his medical issues are that serious he couldn't lose the weight to play here, will he pass a physical to play on another team?
My thought exactly. I don’t know what his health issue is, but he couldn’t play here because of it, but he can play somewhere else?

Not going down this rabbit hole again, but saying a guy is injured and will be out for the season is not a HIPPA violation.
Sorry to drag you down the rabbit hole, but is is. I work for a college and I'm not allowed to say if a student is sick or injured, even in the most general terms. "He/She is sick and won't be in class" is a no go. Only "He/She won't be in class".

Medical issue would have allowed for a medical DQ and continuation on scholarship.

Unless there was a disagreement between player and school on medical issue (i.e. Steven Clark).

Not quite sure what the case here is as him entering transfer portal doesn't scream medical DQ.

Sorry to drag you down the rabbit hole, but is is. I work for a college and I'm not allowed to say if a student is sick or injured, even in the most general terms. "He/She is sick and won't be in class" is a no go. Only "He/She won't be in class".
I want to start by saying I am not saying you are wrong in any way. With my work I deal with HIPAA and FERPA on the regular. Just giving my perspective.

There are many exceptions to HIPAA and FERPA that are often not recognized, more often than not because providers/universities are worried about lawsuits. Example, I contacted a doctor to find out if someone was a patient of theirs. The doctor would not say yes/no and he cited HIPAA. Disclosing if a person is a patient is not covered under HIPAA but the doctor refused because he didn't know and was afraid of being sued. HIPAA says that a doctor, insurance or medical business directly related to the doctor/insurance cannot disclose any information that would say diagnosis/treatment of the person.

One exception for college sports is when a patient gives consent to release his medical records. The player would need to give consent because technically the doctors/trainers would not be able to discuss injuries with the coaches. Coaches are not covered under HIPAA because they are in part of the medical world. Once the info is provided to the coaches it is technically open record. This is how in the past coaches would release injury reports.

Actually not quite true. The news was out there unofficially... I'm sure medical privacy issues at play
Don’t get how he has a medical issue but is in the portal to transfer and play somewhere else. Strange

It will be interesting to see if anyone takes a flyer here.

Don’t get how he has a medical issue but is in the portal to transfer and play somewhere else. Strange
Ive heard stories of transfer targets with medical red flags. Some are hidden hoping it won't scare teams away. Teams have to do their research.

Got to meet Qadir the other evening as he was working on Tipp Hill. A really nice young man who was very open about his story. Glad to hear from him that his health has greatly improved and he remains enrolled in school. It was a nice reminder that as fans we get frustrated with what happens on the field, but these are kids trying to navigate far more than most of us were at their age.

Got to meet Qadir the other evening as he was working on Tipp Hill. A really nice young man who was very open about his story. Glad to hear from him that his health has greatly improved and he remains enrolled in school. It was a nice reminder that as fans we get frustrated with what happens on the field, but these are kids trying to navigate far more than most of us were at their age.
Great to hear, and glad he's still enrolled. Assuming he's bouncing? Not a bad job for a former O-Linemen who is still in college.

Im up on tipp and thought I recognized him! Will have to shoot him a best of luck. Will always root for him

I am glad to hear he is still enrolled and his health is good. There are bigger things in life than a game. Thanks for sharing the story.

He is indeed, with a little bit of bar backing. He’s slimed down a lot - probably down to the 280-290 range. At 6-7 he’s still a huge guy but looks proportionate and healthy.
Glad to hear this...hopefully he can finish his degree and stay in the area.

I believe HIPAA covers medical providers, which Dino is not
It’s a bit broader than that and includes business associates of a HIPAA covered entity. A stretch in this case but maybe applicable especially if the player wants it not released.

He is indeed, with a little bit of bar backing. He’s slimed down a lot - probably down to the 280-290 range. At 6-7 he’s still a huge guy but looks proportionate and healthy.
Thanks fit the update. I wish the young man well. Also you made a great point about these kids having to navigate through the rigors of college and their personal lives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom