ot: renting in brooklyn | Syracusefan.com

ot: renting in brooklyn

jgeorge322

Living Legend
anyone have experience with this? dealing with a broker mark david. the broker fee was 15% of annual rent, which comes to $5,400. i negotiated him down to $3800. the rent is $3000 a month. the place is brand new. four story building, 1100 square ft., two smallish bedrooms, but a large living room and nice kitchen, stainless steel appliances. the place is located off 5th about 5 minute walk from the barclay center.

i know its hard without seeing the place, but generally, is that broker fee and rent about right? high low? im moving from boston and market is much different.

Sounds right, if you lived here and knew people there are ways around the system, but it is tough for out of towners moving to Brooklyn.

anyone have experience with this? dealing with a broker mark david. the broker fee was 15% of annual rent, which comes to $5,400. i negotiated him down to $3800. the rent is $3000 a month. the place is brand new. four story building, 1100 square ft., two smallish bedrooms, but a large living room and nice kitchen, stainless steel appliances. the place is located off 5th about 5 minute walk from the barclay center.

i know its hard without seeing the place, but generally, is that broker fee and rent about right? high low? im moving from boston and market is much different.

Live in Brooklyn the Broker Fee should be about a months rent... think that you might want to look around

Fees in the Slope are higher than other parts of Brooklyn

I live off 5th a little bit further south and think you should look around more. I pay half of that for a one bedroom and had no brokers fee. Even for the area, that's high.

Forget Brooklyn, come on out to the Land of Enchantment - $ 3k/mo & you will live like a king !!!

I don't live in Brooklyn but I'd be suspicious of the fact that the broker asked for so much and then came down so much.
Was he just trying to take advantage of your lack of access to the market?

Check out the broker...make sure he really has the authority to rent the apartment.
You'd be surprised how much fraud there is.
Typically scammers target low income people...but you never know.
Be careful...good luck.

I live in south Brooklyn (Marine Park) and the rent is significantly lower. The neighborhood is uninteresting and it is obviously farther away from Manhattan, but the living is less expensive.

God bless you. I dont know how people can pay/afford so much for such a small place and not own it.

As a real estate broker, my advice to you would be to not use a broker at all if you are renting. Just go building to building and ask the super or the doorman if there is anything available in the building. You can easily avoid paying a broker fee.

As a real estate broker, my advice to you would be to not use a broker at all if you are renting. Just go building to building and ask the super or the doorman if there is anything available in the building. You can easily avoid paying a broker fee.

Very true but you have to live here to do it

I live off 5th a little bit further south and think you should look around more. I pay half of that for a one bedroom and had no brokers fee. Even for the area, that's high.

Yes, go a little further south. I had a true 1BR with an eat in kitchen on 21st bet 4 & 5. $1300 @ month, no brokers fee. Lots of bars, restaurants and Luigi's Pizza..

i wish i could buy. i dont plan on living there longterm. and the place is in park slope so the cost is going to be higher. plus, its literally brand new. no one has ever lived in it.

i think the rent is fair. its the broker fee that is pissing me off, but thats a one time expense, i guess. anyways, thanks for the insights.

i wish i could buy. i dont plan on living there longterm. and the place is in park slope so the cost is going to be higher. plus, its literally brand new. no one has ever lived in it.

i think the rent is fair. its the broker fee that is pissing me off, but thats a one time expense, i guess. anyways, thanks for the insights.

try calling the owner directly. You can look up his/her info online

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/bis/bis.shtml

Honestly Craigslist isn't a bad resource for finding short term housing in NYC. You'd have to take a trip down to tour some of the places but it's worth it. I found a beautiful place in Harlem for only $1000 for 4 months back when I had my internship down there.

I am a broker in NYC and 15% of the yearly rent is the standard fee here. Obviously the broker can set the fee at anything they want but if they have an exclusive on the property there is less incentive to work with the renter on lowering the fee.

While you could use craigslist and try to find something on your own I hope you have a lot of time on your hands as unless you're lucky you will be looking for a while. A good broker with listings in the neighborhood you're looking in is that fastest route to getting close to what you want. A lot of landlord in the city do not want to deal with renters directly and therefore use brokers to vet potential tenants. Obviously yhe key is to find a broker who is not a scumbag.

Back to the original question...the rent is good for that area and if I were you I would try to make one more push to get the fee down to one month's rent. Good luck!

Are you set on that hood? There's a few neighborhoods in queens that offer similar amenities and have cheaper rent on average (Astoria, Long Island City, Sunnyside).

wow... the renter (and not the owner) has to pay broker fees in nyc?

Why do people live there again?

This is a good part of the reason I just moved out of Manhattan, after 22 years — to Los Angeles. NYC is ridiculous in so many ways.

As for the fee and the rent... The 15% (negotiable, depending on the exclusivity of the listing) is accurate. The rent could be a good deal / could be a bad deal — depends on the quality of the property and the apartment. All those members who are quoting you lower rents may be living in apartments you would never consider living in. It's all subjective, what an apartment is worth. You can't go by square footage.

Yeah, it's difficult/nutty to try to do this without being in Brooklyn, but you have to do what you have to do. I wouldn't necessarily rely on just one broker, though.

If you like, send me a message, and I can put you in contact with an old friend who has his own agency in Brooklyn. I was going to move into an apartment of one of his contacts until i got the sudden urge to bounce left.

Because a bad day in NYC beats a good day anywhere else (except maybe Chicago).

probably true...

but i am now a homeowner and paying $1,300 less EVERY single month on a 3000 sq ft house with top end finishings.

To top that, IF i really need too... the seller paid my closing costs and my broker costs (same with renters in atl).

IF i need to go any further, my wife happens works for delta so i fly to nyc for free on any decent wknd (cool parties, random wknds, cuse games, or just because).

Oh and i have a backyard but can walk to 10 restaurants within 5 blocks.

Call me crazy, but why in the samhell would anyone pay $3000 per month!! plus fees???? to live anywhere? unless of course, you are making $1,000,000 or more. anything less and it just doesn't make much sense to me.

and the unfortunately, the worst days in NYC seem to be the worst days in the USA.

unfortunately, that is a backhanded compliment... buts its true.

I lived in the ATL after college.. I couldn't deal with a place where the city is such a bust. Nothing going on downtown. Nice areas in the suburbs to raise a family though..