OT: RIP Levon | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: RIP Levon

Levon and the boys as Dylan's backing Band when he first went electric. Much to the chagrin of the unprepared English audiences. Maybe (at least for me) the most significant point in rock history.

Well how about 1962-63, Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks in local clubs. Just about legal to be in there at the time.
1973 at the Glenn was after my second season coaching. An epic event but we were too close. The sound was over powering. Still got that music on regular.

I would have loved to have been there. That was historic.

I spent most of the night of that concert in a Syracuse bar asking myself why I wasn't there. I regret missing it.

How was the sound quality at that mass gathering?
well, the sound quality was pretty good for that time. I was up pretty close to the stage as I got there a day early. (I was one of the fools who actually bought a ticket). The night before the Dead put on a great soundcheck jam of of about 45 minutes. Of course the rain in the late afternoon thinned the crowd on concert day, but it was a weekend to remember.

Sad news.

I think I'll have to break out the Last Waltz DVD soon. Unfortunately, I always have to bust out laughing when I see Van Morison in that velvet suit.

Sad news.

I think I'll have to break out the Last Waltz DVD soon. Unfortunately, I always have to bust out laughing when I see Van Morison in that velvet suit.
Van owns it during Caravan... awesome performance...

When I first watched the Last Waltz...I went in to mock Van Morrison, but I came back to rock the next time. He blew me away on Caravan.

I'd post the photo I had taken with Levon, but then you'd be able to see what my ugly mug looks like. Seen The Band and solo members several times, been to Big Pink - the works. Sad day indeed, but think of the 3-part harmonies going on in heaven right now with a re-united Richard, Rick & Levon! Will be missed.

Best concert I ever saw was The Band at the bleepin' Syracuse War Memorial, probably in 1971. 3 encores, the third of which was a 4 Tops song called "Loving You Has Made My Life Sweeter Than Ever". You can hear Levon's Arkansas voice singing backup:

I am so sorry that Levon's gone, but really thankful that his daughter Amy (who is a member of a great group called 'Ollabelle') made sure that Levon recorded those two great Grammy-winning solo albums following his initial recovery from throat cancer.

The Band got me through my homesickness freshman year, and I've loved them ever since.

RIP, Levon. You done good.

Only time I saw him live was in May '84 at Long Branch Park as "The Band", obviously minus Robertson. Odd line up, Marshall Crenshaw was part of it I believe, and a couple of other acts that I can't remember.

Ron and Fez doing a really nice look at his career right now. If you have sirius/xm, listen to the replay tonight.

May the four winds blow you safely home..
That was an awesome recording. Nice to see a young Robbie Robertson.

I recall seeing The Last Waltz on the Syracuse quad in either '80 or '81.

Levon and the boys as Dylan's backing Band when he first went electric. Much to the chagrin of the unprepared English audiences. Maybe (at least for me) the most significant point in rock history.
Actually...Levon didn't play on most of those shows...he dropped out of the group for a while because he was upset with the reaction to Dylan going electric. He was not playing drums at the infamous show where Dylan was serenaded with the "Judas" heckling, for example.

Actually...Levon didn't play on most of those shows...he dropped out of the group for a while because he was upset with the reaction to Dylan going electric. He was not playing drums at the infamous show where Dylan was serenaded with the "Judas" heckling, for example.
"Play f*cking loud!" :)

The Last Waltz is the best concert film ever.
And I think it holds that distinction by far.
Everyone seems to have stepped up and performed at the highest level.
Muddy Waters doing Mannish Boy...the power of that performance is amazing.
And there's Bob Margolin laying it down on guitar next to Muddy...looking some combination of totally focused and totally petrified.

The Last Waltz should be mandatory viewing in grade school.

The Last Waltz is the best concert film ever.
And I think it holds that distinction by far.
Everyone seems to have stepped up and performed at the highest level.
Muddy Waters doing Mannish Boy...the power of that performance is amazing.
And there's Bob Margolin laying it down on guitar next to Muddy...looking some combination of totally focused and totally petrified.

You both are gentlemen and scholars.

quite possibly my favorite moment in the history of rock and roll.
That's as good as it gets... Dylan shouting back at the hecklers and then launching into one the greatest you songs ever written. Pearl, that topic would make for a nice thread during the long off season.

For any of you interested, buy "Long Black Veil" from his Merelefest Ramble album on I-tunes.

It's his daughter singing, but you can hear his influence on her. The best cover of that song ever.

I will miss that big, -eating grin from the back of the stage. He was an icon. And was always one of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom