OT: Some really bad news for the local economy | Syracusefan.com

OT: Some really bad news for the local economy

wow... thought they secured a huge contract earlier this year?

They want to relocate all the employees somewhere else?

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

wow... thought they secured a huge contract earlier this year?

There making record profits and did secure a pretty big contract earlier in the year. I am usually on the side of business but this seems like corporate greed all the way. Per the story they did lose out on a big contract recently in NJ to a rival but there still posting all time high profits and stock prices.

They want to relocate all the employees somewhere else?

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

Yes, sounds like some would go to Oswego so that would be good but the rest are spread out all over the east coast.

"Lockheed Martin agreed with New York state in 1996 to maintain employment at a minimum of 1,500 for 30 years at Electronics Park, in return for a series of economic incentives."

Soooo????

"Lockheed Martin agreed with New York state in 1996 to maintain employment at a minimum of 1,500 for 30 years at Electronics Park, in return for a series of economic incentives."

Soooo????

$1 rent... what is NY going to do? take away all the incentives they have in Oswego so LM moves out of there too?

Yes, sounds like some would go to Oswego so that would be good but the rest are spread out all over the east coast.

For the record, it's Owego, not Oswego. Big difference if you're someone who tracks snowfall.

Heard this morning that it was tabled based on pressure by Sen Schumer

For the record, it's Owego, not Oswego. Big difference if you're someone who tracks snowfall.

Your right it is Owego, my bad.

Heard this morning that it was tabled based on pressure by Sen Schumer

I have no idea why they shelved it for now but I am betting a call from Hollywood Chuck probably played little to no roll in there decision.

WARNING - THE FOLLOWING IS AN OFF TOPIC RANT

Well maybe the Mexicans will open their border and allow more immigration to their country so Americans can find work. We are looked down upon there, but we work hard and just want to take care of our families.

That was a bad joke, sort of. People who are sillily worried about immigration and Mexico are missing a fact that more Americans moved to Mexico from the US than the other way around over the past 5 or 10 years. NAFTA means that our cheap fracked natural gas (25% of the prices paid in China or Europe) are flowing in pipelines across the border to Mexico's industrial cities. Given wage inflation in China, and accounting for energy and shipping costs, for most industries production in Mexico is now on par with China - and you get the benefit of reasonable governance, a forward looking president in Mexico, consistent rule of law (minus the drug stuff), and seemless integration in to the supply chain of the United States. Global corporations looking to sell into this country can locate in Asia or Eastern Europe, or they can locate in Mexico or the southern US. Increasingly they are choosing Mexico and the industrial economy there is growing incredibly rapidly.

Fortunately cheap energy gives us a competitive advantage in energy intensive industries with technical barriers - specialty chemicals stuff like that -- so there is some hope of manufacturing recovering in the US, especially in places that have natural gas reserves...if local politicians decide to let them be tapped there is some hope of resurgent manufacturing even in NY state with the right incentives and targetting of the right industries. Hope it happens - plenty of $250k beautiful old homes for people to buy up and good wholesome communities to live in - solid quality of life versus the WalMart strewn waffle house ridden southern interior where most plants are locating these days.

END RANT

I have no idea why they shelved it for now but I am betting a call from Hollywood Chuck probably played little to no roll in there decision.
kennedy when alive stuck it up our a$$E$ with the fort devins job that Bristol labs manufactured. he used the bully pulpit in the pharm committee and promised Bristol would have a very hard time on getting gov't cooperation in front of his committee.

the t.v. cameras were on their way to cicero with ground breaking news when kennedy came up with his 11:59 hour blackmail.

I was on the way with other members from the union hall when the call came in to go back home. it really did cost Bristol a lot of extra money in construction costs as their package (Worchester/Boston) far exceeds ours in wages

WARNING - THE FOLLOWING IS AN OFF TOPIC RANT

Well maybe the Mexicans will open their border and allow more immigration to their country so Americans can find work. We are looked down upon there, but we work hard and just want to take care of our families.

That was a bad joke, sort of. People who are sillily worried about immigration and Mexico are missing a fact that more Americans moved to Mexico from the US than the other way around over the past 5 or 10 years. NAFTA means that our cheap fracked natural gas (25% of the prices paid in China or Europe) are flowing in pipelines across the border to Mexico's industrial cities. Given wage inflation in China, and accounting for energy and shipping costs, for most industries production in Mexico is now on par with China - and you get the benefit of reasonable governance, a forward looking president in Mexico, consistent rule of law (minus the drug stuff), and seemless integration in to the supply chain of the United States. Global corporations looking to sell into this country can locate in Asia or Eastern Europe, or they can locate in Mexico or the southern US. Increasingly they are choosing Mexico and the industrial economy there is growing incredibly rapidly.

Fortunately cheap energy gives us a competitive advantage in energy intensive industries with technical barriers - specialty chemicals stuff like that -- so there is some hope of manufacturing recovering in the US, especially in places that have natural gas reserves...if local politicians decide to let them be tapped there is some hope of resurgent manufacturing even in NY state with the right incentives and targetting of the right industries. Hope it happens - plenty of $250k beautiful old homes for people to buy up and good wholesome communities to live in - solid quality of life versus the WalMart strewn waffle house ridden southern interior where most plants are locating these days.

END RANT
AgRee with the natural gas view. Curious about your numbers of people. Moving to Mexico. Is it just that those people are track able, whereas coming this way they are not.

kennedy when alive stuck it up our a$$E$ with the fort devins job that Bristol labs manufactured. he used the bully pulpit in the pharm committee and promised Bristol would have a very hard time on getting gov't cooperation in front of his committee.

the t.v. cameras were on their way to cicero with ground breaking news when kennedy came up with his 11:59 hour blackmail.

I was on the way with other members from the union hall when the call came in to go back home. it really did cost Bristol a lot of extra money in construction costs as their package (Worchester/Boston) far exceeds ours in wages

Just seems like from today's article that its only a matter of time before they close that facility. After Carrier and NPG not sure the local economy could sustain another blow like that.

It's sad, but, given they only employ 1700 people, I don't know how much more impact it would have than the other businesses that have left. New Process gear employed over 4,000 before they started laying people off. I believe Carrier employed more than that. I suppose Lockheed could be the nail in the coffin though.

There making record profits and did secure a pretty big contract earlier in the year. I am usually on the side of business but this seems like corporate greed all the way. Per the story they did lose out on a big contract recently in NJ to a rival but there still posting all time high profits and stock prices.

Did you factor the worst state to run a business is NY

Did you factor the worst state to run a business is NY
I recently read this...and I believe we've been near or at the bottom for decades. So much for Mario's son's business promotion campaign.

AgRee with the natural gas view. Curious about your numbers of people. Moving to Mexico. Is it just that those people are track able, whereas coming this way they are not.

I'm pretty sure they were comparing estimates of actual numbers not just official. There is also a surge of Americans on work permits on Mexico. part of this is that the US economy has been so bad and the Mexican economy has been growing faster, so there is just more opportunity at home for Mexicans - some of that will revert back if our recovery continues...but I think over time Mexico will see much faster growth and better job creation than we see here provided they can keep the drug wars at bay.

Hmm...just skeptical is all.

Difficult to have a successful Upstate NY when govt policy and regulation are designed for NYC but applied statewide. Lockheed has been laying off people for a few years now.