OT: Spotlight getting brighter on Carmelo in Gotham | Syracusefan.com

OT: Spotlight getting brighter on Carmelo in Gotham

Carmelo needs to be better, no doubt...however they have noone who can hit a jumpshot, no pg until Davis comes back and Amare is a shell of himself right now. D'Antoni's days are numbered if this keeps up because he has no idea how to coach this team.

If anything, Dantoni is the one on the hotseat. His "offense first...defense maybe" coaching style doesn't exactly fly in a town whose sports teams are historically known for hard-nosed defense.

The fact that Melo and Amare can't seem to get on the same page doesn't help either.

To be honest, this entire NBA season is a washout to me...

Also EVERYONE would do this trade over again if they could. It was essentially....

Felton/Gallo/WChandler/Mozgov/Billups/picks

for

Melo/Chandler/Davis and we'll see who they sign in March from China.

Felton and WChandler were due for contracts as well and as you can see both arent with Denver at the moment.

If anything, Dantoni is the one on the hotseat. His "offense first...defense maybe" coaching style doesn't exactly fly in a town whose sports teams are historically known for hard-nosed defense.

The fact that Melo and Amare can't seem to get on the same page doesn't help either.

To be honest, this entire NBA season is a washout to me...
The Knicks are built for a halfcourt offense and D'Antoni still wants to push it. The defense is better, if the offense ever clicks they could be pretty good but thats a big if at this point.

The offense played decent with Billups at the helm last year so hopefully BDavis makes an impact, also losing their only shooter in Shawne Williams hurts, rumor is the Knicks are looking at signing.....JR Smith in March.

Baron Davis
JR Smith
Melo
Amare
Chandler

Ill roll with that.

Would a defense 1st approach fly w/ this NY team?
Melo I truly believe has bought in. Baron Davis will play defense and Iman and Tyson Chandler are very good to excellent defenders. Amare SUCKS, and that is putting it gently and that wont change.

Melo admitted for the first time this weekend, that the problem on offense might be him. That could be key.

Melo admitted for the first time this weekend, that the problem on offense might be him. That could be key.
Yea, im a huge Melo fan but even I have begun to groan when he gets the ball and goes iso.

It was bittersweet for me to watch my Nugs beat Melo Saturday. Man, I was in bliss when Melo was with the Nugs. He made them respectable, a place where other players wanted to play.

Also EVERYONE would do this trade over again if they could. It was essentially....

Felton/Gallo/WChandler/Mozgov/Billups/picks

for

Melo/Chandler/Davis and we'll see who they sign in March from China.

Felton and WChandler were due for contracts as well and as you can see both arent with Denver at the moment.

I don't see why Chandler and Davis are built into the deal on the Melo side. Unless you are saying the only reason they would've gone to NY is because of Melo? I don't really buy that, Chandler was going to go to Golden State if he didn't go to the Knicks, not like they are a great team. Also, Felton wasn't due a contract, he had a year left at $7 million.

If they didn't get Melo, they probably end up trading for Deron Williams (utah's plan was to go to the Knicks or the Nets, whoever didn't get Melo, and offer them Deron), or signing him (Melo) as a FA in the summer. (Well, winter this year, but you get the point). And to be fair, Deron is shooting 37% this year, so maybe we get Deron and are complaining about him.

The frustrating thign about the trade is, based on the media reports, Donnie seemed to be doing a pretty good job staying strong on not giving everything up, and then Dolan seemed to come in at the end and undo all that hard work.

I don't want to bash Melo too hard; he is playing though some injuries, and that is definitely at least contributing to the terrible shooting numbers. And the rest of the offense hasn't been doing much; Amare in particular is just a totally different player than in the past. I still don't see a great defensive effort from Melo, at least not all the time, but he is hardly alone in that on this team. (Amare, looking at you here). But his style of play can be a little frustrating at times, he is a great 1 on 1 player but it can bog down your offense.

I don't think Amare and melo can play together and bot be productive, neither wants to play defense consistently either, very frustrating. Their guard play blows as well and that is putting it mildly. Davis even though not what he once was, will help a lot.

I don't see why Chandler and Davis are built into the deal on the Melo side. Unless you are saying the only reason they would've gone to NY is because of Melo? I don't really buy that, Chandler was going to go to Golden State if he didn't go to the Knicks, not like they are a great team. Also, Felton wasn't due a contract, he had a year left at $7 million.

If they didn't get Melo, they probably end up trading for Deron Williams (utah's plan was to go to the Knicks or the Nets, whoever didn't get Melo, and offer them Deron), or signing him (Melo) as a FA in the summer. (Well, winter this year, but you get the point). And to be fair, Deron is shooting 37% this year, so maybe we get Deron and are complaining about him.

The frustrating thign about the trade is, based on the media reports, Donnie seemed to be doing a pretty good job staying strong on not giving everything up, and then Dolan seemed to come in at the end and undo all that hard work.

I don't want to bash Melo too hard; he is playing though some injuries, and that is definitely at least contributing to the terrible shooting numbers. And the rest of the offense hasn't been doing much; Amare in particular is just a totally different player than in the past. I still don't see a great defensive effort from Melo, at least not all the time, but he is hardly alone in that on this team. (Amare, looking at you here). But his style of play can be a little frustrating at times, he is a great 1 on 1 player but it can bog down your offense.

Good post, agree 100%

I just look at who we added and who we lost to be honest, so thats how I view the trade. Im not a big Deron Williams fan and he hasnt done anything to make NJ respectable, at least Steve Nash makes a pathetic Phoenix team competitive in games. Im still going to wait until i judge the trade. I truly believe Denver will never win anything in the playoffs with that team.

Chandler/Melo/Paul would look pretty good though...

Amare looks beat.

Chandler/Melo/Paul would look pretty good though...

Amare looks beat.
Im done with Amare. He has no offense right now and never played defense. With Chandler/Amare/Melo all playing inside the arc its just a jumbled crowded mess of no spacing.

Me either...although I dont like how the trade is analyzed generally. Fact is you cannot have Melo and Gallo on the same team (as they play the same position). Mosgov is really a backup center (even though he starts) and given that they went out and signed Chandler I am not sure where he would fit anyway (he certainly is not a starting caliber center for a playoff team). They traded Felton who had a year left but they got Billups back, so that is pretty much a wash (neither player plays for the team he was traded to). And Chandler is a SF and not with the Nuggets right now. So in reality people that say the trade was bad are essentially saying that Gallo is better than Melo.

I don't think Amare is done. I saw him last year and can't imagine you just lose it that fast w/o a serious injury. The question is-Can he and melo play well together. They were much better offensively last year, even after the trade, so who knows?

And so it begins.....Stephen A Smith on his radio show says that the Orlando Magic have contacted the Knicks about Amare and Chandler.

If I thought Stephen A Smith was reliable, I would be happy.

Chandler and Amare for Dwight? Assuming he would sign an extension, done in a second.

If I thought Stephen A Smith was reliable, I would be happy.

Chandler and Amare for Dwight? Assuming he would sign an extension, done in a second.
He does have sources though. I dont think he just threw this out there for no reason. It wouldnt suprise me, theyve talked to the Lakers and they wanted Gasol and Bynum. The Nets package is garbage. Id imagine it would be Amare/Chandler for Howard/Turkoglu and while Turks contract is horrible, he might help out spacing. Absolutely you do this in a second. Im sure Orlando is probably asking for Iman as well.

I don't really buy that, Chandler was going to go to Golden State if he didn't go to the Knicks, not like they are a great team.
don't go to sleep on Golden State; this is not the dysfunctional organization we saw under Chris Cohan. The new ownership of Joe Lacob and Peter Guber is first class, and they have brought Jerry West - arguably the most successful GM of the last 30 years - onto their executive board. With a winning culture, the Bay Area can become a very glamorous destination.

don't go to sleep on Golden State; this is not the dysfunctional organization we saw under Chris Cohan. The new ownership of Joe Lacob and Peter Guber is first class, and they have brought Jerry West - arguably the most successful GM of the last 30 years - onto their executive board. With a winning culture, the Bay Area can become a very glamorous destination.
That arena is sickkkkk. I remember the playoff series against the Mavericks. That place was ELECTRIC.

According to Howard Beck, Baron Davis is practicing today and is looking to play on Saturday.

No question, I am just saying that if the argument was Chandler only came to the Knicks because Melo was here (which I don't think it was, so it doesn't matter) that didn't seem to hold much water cause his other choice was also a team that hasn't been good for a while.