OT: SU Women up by 8 on the No. 1 team in the country early in 1st | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: SU Women up by 8 on the No. 1 team in the country early in 1st

The sound works during the commercials for me, just not the game audio.

make sure the volume is turned up on the video. The commercials are much louder than the play by play.

that was some bad coaching and play down the stretch to give that game away..

Except for Day, we look like a bunch of munchkins out there. Guess Q can't get a lot of quality players with size.

Still they play hard.

Cheers,
Neil

Q's teams seem to have trouble closing the deal when they have a chance for a big win

Day at he line makes 2 with 13 seconds left, 63-66

Q's teams seem to have trouble closing the deal when they have a chance for a big win

Might have lost this game with about 9 minutes left when he sat Butler for close to 4 minutes. Don't think she hit another shot after coming back in.

We miss Sykes and we need another big to back up Day.

Cheers,
Neil

Hey - in the end, they were 5 points away from a win over the nation's #1. What chance have the men to match this performance??

A respectable first loss I'd say.

Q is a terrible coach. Recruits well and does little with it. Wins most of the layup games they are supposed to win - loses 75% of the 50/50 games they need to win - loses all of the games that they probably should lose. But that is women's basketball - 4 good teams and not much else as their tourney shows most years.

[QIUOTE="VirginiaOrange, post: 1209602, member: 1085"]Q is a terrible coach. Recruits well and does little with it. Wins most of the layup games they are supposed to win - loses 75% of the 50/50 games they need to win - loses all of the games that they probably should lose. But that is women's basketball - 4 good teams and not much else as their tourney shows most years.[/QUOTE]

Virginiaorange is correct. I have said for over 2 years that the coach is an excellant recruiter but terrible coach. First we are not munchkins as one has indicated. We have 3 girls 6'4" and one 6'6" Only one plays significant time and none of them eat as much biscuits and gravy or grits as yesterdays opponent. They play zone the entire game (a mistake for latter discussion) and press full court most of the game (another discussion). They have played a couple of girls much more time than their contributions call for while having some better players get lesser minutes. I could go on and on but it is a very talented team with horrible coaching.

Virginiaorange is correct. I have said for over 2 years that the coach is an excellant recruiter but terrible coach. First we are not munchkins as one has indicated. We have 3 girls 6'4" and one 6'6" Only one plays significant time and none of them eat as much biscuits and gravy or grits as yesterdays opponent. They play zone the entire game (a mistake for latter discussion) and press full court most of the game (another discussion). They have played a couple of girls much more time than their contributions call for while having some better players get lesser minutes. I could go on and on but it is a very talented team with horrible coaching.

A zone as a primary defense in women's basketball is just idiotic. The whole point of JB's zone is long defenders that you have to shoot over and who can quickly get to shooters once the ball is passed. Women just can't play it that way and it shows how stupid Q is that he plays it because I guess he's the coach at Syracuse and if JB does it then he should too.

He has one tournament win. One! I realize that we arent going to break into the UConn, Notre Dame, Baylor, Stanford club, but Texas A&M has a championship. Louisville has multiple Final Fours, Cal has a Final Four. There's no reason why we can't be a legitimate Final Four contender.

Wish we would take it seriously because it is a sport that gets major TV coverage and could be a really positive thing for SU. And for me, I can watch UConn play without being too bored. I can't get through more than a few minutes of watching SU. I'd love for Q to be fired and for us to hire Shea Ralph from UConn. She might ultimately replace Geno, but who cares, that's the program in womens basketball to emulate.

A zone as a primary defense in women's basketball is just idiotic. The whole point of JB's zone is long defenders that you have to shoot over and who can quickly get to shooters once the ball is passed. Women just can't play it that way and it shows how stupid Q is that he plays it because I guess he's the coach at Syracuse and if JB does it then he should too.

He has one tournament win. One! I realize that we arent going to break into the UConn, Notre Dame, Baylor, Stanford club, but Texas A&M has a championship. Louisville has multiple Final Fours, Cal has a Final Four. There's no reason why we can't be a legitimate Final Four contender.

Wish we would take it seriously because it is a sport that gets major TV coverage and could be a really positive thing for SU. And for me, I can watch UConn play without being too bored. I can't get through more than a few minutes of watching SU. I'd love for Q to be fired and for us to hire Shea Ralph from UConn. She might ultimately replace Geno, but who cares, that's the program in womens basketball to emulate.

I agree totally with this. Weird that you bring up Shea Ralph because I think she would be a great choice too unless she is happy to be an assistant until Geno retires. Q has done better than any women's coach we have ever had and we may very well have made the Sweet 16 if Sykes doesn't go down. So I give him credit for that. But it is frustrating to not be able to get over the next hump. This would have been a huge win and it was right there for the taking.

With Sykes back I do believe we have the talent to play with any team in the country WITH the proper coaching. Keep Q and let him recruit because he has brought in the best talent consistently that I have seen at Syracuse. Use zone occasionally to confuse (as SC did) , press on occasion, adjust your lineup to start and during the game as situations demand,use your best players more (this should also help in a more cohesive flow during the game) and stop being a screaming embarrassment on the sidelines. If we need to play tall we can, if we need to play fast we can and if it's a shooters game we have that as well

Isn't the zone just as effective if 5-10 women are trying to shoot over 6-4 women as it is when 6-4 men are trying to shoot over 6-10 men? Isn't it all relative?

Last edited:
Not if the 5'10" player is outside the arc and the 6'4" player is still in the lane

I'm not a recruitnik, but does Q truly "recruit well". What I mean is that I suppose he has done well enough if our women still played games at Manley and they had no access to the Melo Center. But that hasn't been the case for a while.

Just seems to me a good to great recruiter could take advantage of SU's strengths more. Had hopes the year he recruited both Butler and Sykes and the next year he got Briana Day and Peterson, but this year's freshman class really has nothing. And next year's appears to be nothing as well if the ESPN rankings mean anything.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom