OT - Summer Reading List Thanks..... | Syracusefan.com

OT - Summer Reading List Thanks.....

newmexicuse

All Conference
My special thanks to whomever posted about Last of the Incas on the summer reading list thread. It took me awhile to get to that book, but it is really terrific. I am not through it yet, but it is really, really captivating.

I had just read Aztec at the time of the original thread, and for anybody interested in the history of these two cultures this is a terrific one-two tandem.

Just as an FYI, for anybody interested in both I would suggest reading Aztec first as the Cortez conquest preceded the Pizarro conquest.

Is the whole pouring gold down the Spaniards throats thing a true story?

Also, do they talk about the 'battle' of cajamarca? We used that battle as a case study to perform mathematical combat simulations when I was in grad school (it was a military institution).

Also, do they talk about the 'battle' of cajamarca? We used that battle as a case study to perform mathematical combat simulations when I was in grad school (it was a military institution).
Yes, there is an excellent chapter on that battle. Basically, the Spanish won because Atahulpa was over-confident & fell into a clever trap set by Pizarro. Why Atahualpa allowed himself to enter a plaza from which there was potentially no escape is a great mystery to me. A clear under-estimation of the strength of his enemy. He factored in nothing but the raw numbers of soldier/warriors, which was obviously greatly in his favor.

I took the opportunity to read Lone Survivor and No Easy Day. Both books talk about the Navy Seals and the mission to get Bin Laden. The heart of the books illustrate how hard it is to become a member of the Seal brotherhood. Amazing reads, really challenges you to become a better version of yourself.

My best book of the summer was The Spy by Clive Cussler . Based in 1908 and the nations building up to war , great history of the race to get the best navy and I love early century N.Y.C. history .

My special thanks to whomever posted about Last of the Incas on the summer reading list thread. It took me awhile to get to that book, but it is really terrific. I am not through it yet, but it is really, really captivating.

I had just read Aztec at the time of the original thread, and for anybody interested in the history of these two cultures this is a terrific one-two tandem.

Just as an FYI, for anybody interested in both I would suggest reading Aztec first as the Cortez conquest preceded the Pizarro conquest.
Empire of the southern Moon is a must especially in context of where you live. it is the history of the comanches. Ever wonder why the Spanish did not expand north to texas/NM?

Last edited:
Empire of the southern Moon is a must especially in context of where you live. it is the history of the comanches.
The Apaches feared the Comanches , they were one tough bunch . The most feared of all Native Americans .

I took the opportunity to read Lone Survivor and No Easy Day. Both books talk about the Navy Seals and the mission to get Bin Laden. The heart of the books illustrate how hard it is to become a member of the Seal brotherhood. Amazing reads, really challenges you to become a better version of yourself.

Both were good ones. A spectacular military history book is Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. That book will blow you away.

The Apaches feared the Comanches , they were one tough bunch . The most feared of all Native Americans .
That is putting it mildly. The Comanches waged war on the Apaches from Mexico to Canada and genocide would be a more accurate term for the outcome. The Spanish were no match for the Comanche calvary and neither were the Americans until after the repeater was introduced just after the Civil War. The Comanche Empire is something that few people know about. If not for them the Western USA would be Mexico. The Spanish got defeated everytime they entered Comanche territory.

That is putting it mildly. The Comanches waged war on the Apaches from Mexico to Canada and genocide would be a more accurate term for the outcome. The Spanish were no match for the Comanche calvary and neither were the Americans until after the repeater was introduced just after the Civil War. The Comanche Empire is something that few people know about. If not for them the Western USA would be Mexico. The Spanish got defeated everytime they entered Comanche territory.
If the Indians all banded together , there would not be a USA . They just loved to brawl among themselfs for sport .

lone survivor was awesome. my dad lent me a copy. he actually attended a speech by the author and had it signed. anyways, i read it in like 2 days. i finished it on an airplane and accidentally left it in the seat pocket. when i realized it, i had to run across the philadelphia airport to get it back and barely made my connecting flight. i was so scared i was going to lose the signed copy.