OT: Tebow | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Tebow

*Edit, the reason people like me get bent out of shape by certain hate of Tebow is because some (not all) hate him because of his faith. I know I have friends who do. If you dont think hes good at QB, then thats fine, I would say you're entitled to your own opinion even though I think results on the field would prove you wrong. I have a problem with people who mock his faith and who he is because of it.

Do you think he will win next week?

The mystique is that he's such a raw QB but he performs in the clutch. If he were polished he'd just be the second coming of John Elway. It's more fun to keep asking "How did he do that?"

Do you think he will win next week?
Prob not, but im definately not going to say no chance. The Pats struggled with the Redskins today and I think Denver will put up points on the Pats defense. It all depends if Von Miller and Dumervil can get to Brady.

I've never been a Tebow guy. I think he's a bit over the top with his religion and never could stand him in college. But I must say that I am intrigued by him at Denver and find myself rooting for him.
Hate the guy because of his Faith ! Come on , get real !

Hate the guy because of his Faith ! Come on , get real !

Who said I hated the guy because of his religion. I said he was a bit over the top with his religion, but that in general I couldn't stand him in college. This was mostly because he was the QB for florida...not because of his religion.

Who said I hated the guy because of his religion. I said he was a bit over the top with his religion, but that in general I couldn't stand him in college. This was mostly because he was the QB for florida...not because of his religion.
I didnt say you. I was saying in general there is alot of hate because of that. Its one thing to say hes inaccurate etc, but when people say he sucks because hes a Jesus freak bla bla bla, thats when I consider it ridiculous.

I know people have mixed feelings about this guy but I was sick last night, stayed in and had the chance to watch Tim Tebow: "Year of the QB" and "The Chosen One". Let me preface by saying I have never pulled for someone like I am for Tebow. This guy embodies everything I wish a role model to be. He blows my mind when I hear about his off the field stuff, and I cannot overemphasize how impressed I am with how he barely even flinches with all the venom and hate that is spewed at him. He is also the most beloved player in the NFL so I guess it evens out. Figured id share how great I thought these two documentaries were and if anyone gets a chance to watch I highly recommend them.

In the Year of the QB special they show him leading up to the draft. He goes Rocky IV in his training, its insane. Does situps while his brother punches him in the stomach, goes to his parents farm and chops up trees with an ax, smashes a sledgehammer repeatedly into a giant log, flips tractor tires and pushes a truck up and down the street. Just crazy stuff. They show all the negative press and how he would listen and soak up all of it. Then they show behind the scenes as him, his fam and agent follow all the goings on before he got drafted by Denver, really cool behind the scenes stuff.

The Chosen One is about his high school career and his recruitment to colleges. Interesting recruiting stuff and a look into a young Tebow as he led his team as a senior. This video clip from the show will blow your mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AQWaQkArpE
I think it's amazing for a QB who's team President and coach have questioned his ability to find ways to win and prove them wrong. He is not a great QB, more of an all-purpose guy who happens to take the snap, very much like Michael Vick in that regard. Whenever I see him play, I can't help but think he is one good blow to the head away from ending his career. I know he missed games at Florida due to concussions, and the way he plays, he is going to take some serious hits fighting for yards. He can't keep this style of play up for too long.

I don't think people hate Tim Tebow. People hate the fact that he completes 10 passes a game and gets the Tom Brady treatment.

They hate the fact that he's overhyped by the national media and gets 1000% of the credit for these comebacks when in fact his defense has kept him in most of these games while he's been Tyler Palko-bad the first 3 quarters of every game.

Nobody in their right mind would hate Tim Tebow, the person. I think he's fun to watch (at least during the 4th qtr) and clearly a winner.

I will say that long-term I don't think they can continue to win playing that type of football. Sort of a Dolphins Wildcat effect when the league finally caught up.
People hated him in college when he was a great college player. People hated him when he was a back up. People hated him this year when the Broncos were losing and fans put up a billboard. People hate him now because he wins. People DO hate him because his name is Tim Tebow.

Kid is a winner plain and simple. Bad mechanics or not, and he may look bad dor three quarters but he gets it done.

I honestly believe people hate him because he is openly Christian, which I think is a bad reason to do so. A lot of worse people to root for.

Prater kicks 59 yard FG...WHAT A WINNER TEBOW IS!!!

Bailey gets 49 yard FG blocked...WHAT A LOSER ROMO IS!!!

People are stupid.

People are stupid.
Romo is a loser though - that's a fact.

Some people are stupid too...

why bring his faith into it. It's not like he's breaking your door down to preach to you. He's just being himself. Do you prefer the gangster type ? It's refreshing to have a clean cut kid do well.

People are stupid.

I haven't had the opportunity to see more than a couple Denver games, but have enjoyed the ones I have gotten to see. My guess though, for Tebow to be like 6-1 or whatever, and usually leading comebacks to get those wins, it's probably because he doesn't miss wide open receivers on 3rd down in crunch time like Romo did.

Romo is a loser though - that's a fact.

Some people are stupid too...

I'm an Eagle fan. I hate Romo and think he's overrated. That said....

Romo 46-27 is a loser.
Tebow 7-3 is a winner.

I haven't had the opportunity to see more than a couple Denver games, but have enjoyed the ones I have gotten to see. My guess though, for Tebow to be like 6-1 or whatever, and usually leading comebacks to get those wins, it's probably because he doesn't miss wide open receivers on 3rd down in crunch time like Romo did.

ROMO HAD 4 TDs...ROMO got them in FG range...BETTER FG RANGE than Tebow did.
Romo missed 1 pass. If Barber doesn't step out of bounds, Tebow has 3 pts.
Holy F.

I'm an Eagle fan. I hate Romo and think he's overrated. That said....

Romo 46-27 is a loser.
Tebow 7-3 is a winner.
It's not all about numbers though.

Romo just blamed an incomplete pass on his receiver losing a ball in the lights. Tebow (or Eli, I'm a giant fan) do not do that, or let that bother them - example: dropped pass by Thomas for Tim or by Mario by Eli.

But using the number above - Romo is the loser there.

ROMO HAD 4 TDs...ROMO got them in FG range...BETTER FG RANGE than Tebow did.
Romo missed 1 pass. If Barber doesn't step out of bounds, Tebow has 3 pts.
Holy F.

Those TDs were nearly all directly related to blown coverage and wide open catches downfield... this is the NFL and Romo is the guy trying to shake the choker label... hitting 4 wide open throws doesn't negate missing the fifth when its the biggest of the game.

I honestly believe people hate him because he is openly Christian, which I think is a bad reason to do so. A lot of worse people to root for.

No, no, no, no. If he stopped being christian and announced he was switching to atheism tomorrow the same people who hate him now would hate him just as much after. He's annoying - or at least the media coverage is annoying and that carries over to him. Plus he went to Florida.

It's not like the people that hate Tebow found out he was christian and turned on him after the fact. It's just the packaging that he comes in. Phillip Rivers REALLY loves him some god too - you never hear about it though, at least not much. It's not the christian thing - Christians just like to feel offended or something. And people reference it because it's always being referenced - that's the narrative fans and the media want to sell. Then they want to feel like they're being attacked because of it. Blah. Maybe some hate him because he's christian, but I doubt it's very many because I would bet 99% of those people openly root for an Andy Petitte or Josh Hamilton, or any of those other uber-religious players in professional sports.

No, no, no, no. If he stopped being christian and announced he was switching to atheism tomorrow the same people who hate him now would hate him just as much after. He's annoying - or at least the media coverage is annoying and that carries over to him. Plus he went to Florida.

It's not like the people that hate Tebow found out he was christian and turned on him after the fact. It's just the packaging that he comes in. Phillip Rivers REALLY loves him some god too - you never hear about it though, at least not much. It's not the christian thing - Christians just like to feel offended or something. And people reference it because it's always being referenced - that's the narrative fans and the media want to sell. Then they want to feel like they're being attacked because of it. Blah. Maybe some hate him because he's christian, but I doubt it's very many because I would bet 99% of those people openly root for an Andy Petitte or Josh Hamilton, or any of those other uber-religious players in professional sports.
Christians like to feel offended? Doubt it, christianity is the only major religion you can openly mock in America without reprecussion. You have to have thick skin to be someone like Tebow nowadays. Josh Hamilton has people waiting for him to fail because he says he turned his life around because of Jesus, look at when he messed up 2 years ago and everyone came out of the woodwork to rip into him. There is a difference between Tebow and Rivers, Pettitte, Dwight Howard etc. Tebow takes a stand and is open about his beliefs. When you do that people want to see you fail. Like I said if you dont like Tebow because you dont think hes a good player and the media worships him then fine, thats your opinion but theres more than enough people who rip into him because of his faith and as someone who finds it hilarious that we live in a country where people get incensed by nativity scenes, the word "Christmas" tree, In God we Trust on the dollar bill etc, ill defend a guy like Tebow who has the guts to take a stand for his convictions.

why bring his faith into it. It's not like he's breaking your door down to preach to you. He's just being himself. Do you prefer the gangster type ? It's refreshing to have a clean cut kid do well.

Let me explain it like this...

I was in Key West a few weeks back and ran into an openly gay individual. I mean ragin', flamin', openly gay. Now I have no problem with a person's sexual preferences. But I take offense with ultra-flamboyant homosexuals...not for being gay, but for the ubiquitous way in which they force me to acknowledge their sexual preference.

Whatever they choose to do behind closed doors is their own business. I don't care for it and would prefer not to see it.

Same goes for the ultra religious. I don't have a problem with anyone's religious preference. Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu...its all good. It becomes offensive when someone continues to force their own religious preferences into every given situation.

I don't dislike Tebow for his religious preferences...not in the least. I'd prefer if it wasn't such a ubiquitous part of if every interview he does.

Why does everyone get upset when you hate Tebow? Nobody cared when people were hating Tiger (pre-Tiger's very public fall from grace). Nobody actually hates these people anyway. It's not like I want Tebow to get hit by a car - yet.

It's the same reason people hate Coach K or Duke. Excessive media coverage, cynicism - whatever. Lots of Red Sox fans hate Derek Jeter, lots of Yankees fans hate Dustin Pedrioa. As far as I know they're both very nice people that do plenty of good for their communities. Nobody cares that the other side hates them.

Why can't we just hate Tebow? It's okay to hate everyone else - but if you hate this guy it's a big deal for some reason.

Plus, he sucks at QB - I don't care that he has one good quarter out of 10. Blaine Gabbert has a good quarter every once in awhile too. Vince Young used to be that guy that "just wins" too back in 2006 - ESPN certainly didn't force him down our throats like this.
The reason you "hate" him is not because of his shortcomings as a QB. If you are like the other haters, the reason you hate him is because of "who" he is -- a devout, Christian, pro-life athlete. Especially the pro-life part. So when he succeeds against all odds and praises the Lord, or when he turns the other cheek when faced with the hate in a way no one else would do, it makes people like you insane. That's OK. Tebow is praying for people like you too. Merry Christmas.

The reason you "hate" him is not because of his shortcomings as a QB. If you are like the other haters, the reason you hate him is because of "who" he is -- a devout, Christian, pro-life athlete. Especially the pro-life part. So when he succeeds against all odds and praises the Lord, or when he turns the other cheek when faced with the hate in a way no one else would do, it makes people like you insane. That's OK. Tebow is praying for people like you too. Merry Christmas.

Really? So was Andy Petitte, so is Phil Rivers. I referenced them earlier - two of my favorite players. Christians (some of them) really want this to be about people hating Tebow for that reason.

I hate him for the same irrational reasons that I hate Tony Romo, Mark Sanchez, etc. - I saw some news story, interview, read an article, think they're overrated, too much media coverage, etc...and I came up with a reason to dislike them. It's sports, people dislike people for all sorts of silly reasons. It's pretty random despite how badly some of you want it to be solely about christianity.

I love Brian Dawkins. He is one of my favorite Eagles of all time. Brian Dawkins is an openly religious man. Explain why I love Brian Dawkins and respect him...yet when I (or others) point out Tebow's flaws, that we get called anti-christian. It's ing . YES, there are people that don't like Tebow people he's a bible thumper. Me? I don't like that the media is cramming him down our throats. We get it, he's a great guy. You know who else is a great guy? Drew Brees...and a better QB...and won a super bowl. Let's do a special on him.

I love Brian Dawkins. He is one of my favorite Eagles of all time. Brian Dawkins is an openly religious man. Explain why I love Brian Dawkins and respect him...yet when I (or others) point out Tebow's flaws, that we get called anti-christian. It's ******* . YES, there are people that don't like Tebow people he's a bible thumper. Me? I don't like that the media is cramming him down our throats. We get it, he's a great guy. You know who else is a great guy? Drew Brees...and a better QB...and won a super bowl. Let's do a special on him.

Were you alive the year the Saints won the SB. it was Brees 24/7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom