OT: The football board thinks the basketball board sucks. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: The football board thinks the basketball board sucks.

Generational survey here:

Who here below the age of 30 considers themselves a "die-hard" SU football fan?

I do. More a basketball guy, though; probably lean 60/40 in this direction.

I don't get the distinction; the argument in the other thread doesn't make a lot of sense.

I turned 30 three weeks ago, and I have been a die-hard SU football fan since "Gedney at the 3 yard line" when I was 10.

That's what did it for me, too (though I was nine). Came to football a bit later than basketball, but Miami in '92 cemented my fan-dom.

Went to S.U. From 03 to 07. Was a freshman the year after melo. Die hard fan of the whole university. Sat through the fiasco with Vermont, gmacs injury, and the worst snub job ever by the committee. Football was terrible, worse than it ever has been under marrone. The offense was something out of the 1920's. Greg robinson was a joke. Basketball fans are spoiled. Try watching Louie mccroskey, trob, Watkins, and Nichols never realize their talent. I had class with louie. Quite possibly the least intelligent human being I've ever met. It was embarrassing. Things with both programs are so much better than they were those 4 years.

I dont think bball fans are spoiled at all. We just got over the 3 or 4 seasons with double digit loses. I didnt forget. Just because we are good now should we have to sacrifice our health now or something? Great teams and seasons come and go and i'm gonna enjoy every minute of it, soak it all in like im playing on the court, because after all i live and die with each victory and defeat. Football team too even though bball is my first love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think bball fans are spoiled at all. We just got over the 3 or 4 seasons with double digit loses. I didnt forget. Just because we are good now should we have to sacrifice our health now or something? Great teams and seasons come and go and i'm gonna enjoy every minute of it, soak it all in like im playing on the court, because after all i live and die with each victory and defeat. Football team too even though bball is my first love.

We aren't spoiled we are snake bit.

I consider basketball only "fans" as nothing more than bandwagoners. They will be the first to jump ship when times get tough with the hoops team.

If you don't support the ENTIRE SU PROGRAM, you are a fair weather fan.
Wrong.

Bs. I'm a basketball only. I got no affiliation to syracuse. Didn't live there or go to school there, but been a die hard syracuse hoops fan since I was 8 or 9. And I ain't going anywhere.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
Amen!
(i'm in the same category as you :))

I didn't become a die hard SU football fan until 2005. Might be one of 12 people who could say that. My first four years were gerg. My first game in person was the debacle against Northwestern at Ryan Field.

2003 is my greatest sports memory, but beating WVU in 2010... Had tears in my eyes at the end of that game because I saw something I had only dreamed of.

I watched the women's lacrosse championship last year and screamed at my tv. I made a group of guys at my fraternity reunion watch SU softball in the BE championship a couple years ago.

I'm a Syracuse fan and am so grateful to Darryl Gross for upgrading our entire athletics department so I have something to cheer for from August through June.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I'm sure you attend and ardently boost the women's rowing contests, don't you? I'm sure you can name three recent letter winners without looking it up. ;)

I freely admit that I am a band wagon fan - I got on more than three decades ago and have enjoyed the entire ride. But, I'll probably get off when Boeheim retires and the program inevitably descends off the top tier.

I'm sure you attend and ardently boost the women's rowing contests, don't you? I'm sure you can name three recent letter winners without looking it up. ;)

I freely admit that I am a band wagon fan - I got on more than three decades ago and have enjoyed the entire ride. But, I'll probably get off when Boeheim retires and the program inevitably descends off the top tier.
Wow. Didn't see that coming. Yikes

I can push you off the ledge now.

This is the only place I know of where people are so schitzo, they will claim other areas of the same forum "have beef" with them. This whole concept has me laughing that somehow, the Syracuse football board on this site is suddenly some outside entity on par with the Yukon board or something. Forget the fact that 80% of the posters are the same people!

Hey do they call us quse over there on the football board??

If we had a final four and a title every 10 years there would be alot less whining here.

I'm actually really glad someone else brought this up...I've been meaning to ask the basketball-onlies to meet with me and decide if we should secede from SU. The football program has been a drag on us for some years now, and I think, in the current athletic conference realignment climate, we have a quorum to decide if we're leaving. You'll get our answer in 24-48 hours.

I keed, I keed.

Me. Spent the greater part of my fandom with Syracuse sucking. I'm a huge fan of Syracuse athletics in general, but if I had to choose one to watch for the rest of my life it'd be football.

Im 28 and I'm a die hard syracuse athletics fan. To be a fan of one and not the other is misguided hogwash. And infighting between the twos fans is ridiculous. LGO and the p hony fairweathereds.

2003 is my greatest sports memory, but beating WVU in 2010... Had tears in my eyes at the end of that game because I saw something I had only dreamed of.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

NKR has it right - nothing better than beating a football team that came into the Dome all cocky ranked at #10 and then they get beat down by our guys with the Dome full of people (I think we had over 46k that night) - funny but I had tears in my eyes too cause I hadnt seen a SU fball game like that one in a long time.

As much as I like bball (I still play personally 2-3 times a week), fball when played competitively is simply great. Unlike fball, the problem I have with SU bball is these cupcake games they play. I don't even go to them anymore as they are really boring to watch - nothing personal - but their are only really 6-7 games bball worth going to so same number of good games as fball in my opinion..

I have a confession to make... I couldn't care less about SU lacrosse. If they're playing in the Final Four, I'll tune in, but whether they win or lose doesn't emotionally affect me at all.

I think there are two different conversations going on.

1) First is regarding supporting the University and all programs. I believe almost everyone does that even if by pure name recognition alone.

2) The second is the fandom required to be a regular poster on a sports forum, it is a very personal thing for anyone. I like football a lot I played HS football and enjoy the game, but I'm basketball obsessed. If I wasn't I wouldn't be here I'm not football obsessed.

22. Die hard with both sports.

If you don't like SU Football than you.
_proxy

Maybe one of the basketball onlys can clue me in but I dont understand how you can be a huge SU basketball fan and not care about the football team, I dont get it. Do you not follow the football side at all? What the hell are you doing when SU is playing and for the majority of the second half of this past season playing well? Personally I am an absolute diehard for both as well as Lax. While I can understand some not following the Lax program I cant fathom just following the basketball program and not football or vice versa.

are there really people that are syracuse basketball only or syracuse football only fans?

i equally look forward to each season. root equally hard. day equally ruined with a loss.

i dont differentiate the 2 from 1 another at all... and am honestly shocked if someone on this board does. I may be delusional. But that's how I like it.

Maybe one of the basketball onlys can clue me in but I dont understand how you can be a huge SU basketball fan and not care about the football team, I dont get it.

I'd actually would love to hear from a football only. I cant fathom being a football only fan. That even makes less sense than what you said in your post. To me that is literally incomprehensible that you (not you but people in general) can be a SU football fan and care less about the hoops team.