OT: The football board thinks the basketball board sucks. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: The football board thinks the basketball board sucks.

I'd actually would love to hear from a football only. I cant fathom being a football only fan. That even makes less sense than what you said in your post. To me that is literally incomprehensible that you (not you but people in general) can be a SU football fan and care less about the hoops team.

I dont know anyone who is only a football fan, I know some who prefere SU football but they still follow the bball program, go to games etc.

Maybe one of the basketball onlys can clue me in but I dont understand how you can be a huge SU basketball fan and not care about the football team, I dont get it. Do you not follow the football side at all? What the hell are you doing when SU is playing and for the majority of the second half of this past season playing well? Personally I am an absolute diehard for both as well as Lax. While I can understand some not following the Lax program I cant fathom just following the basketball program and not football or vice versa.
SU Basketball represents all of Upstate NY. It includes the Rochester area. JB came from Lyons. There is no other big time BBall around, no pro, no other real college. A local kid going to a local school and doing well. The paper, PS, seemed to turn on him, being the impetus for the probation. Yet, through it all, JB stayed and still won. Not big, but still consistently won. And now, he is finally going big time. That is a story Upstaters can be proud of, no matter where they currently reside. It's part of the Upstate you bring with you. It has been a multi-generational thing. It's something most of these type of fans probably did with their fathers.

For football, there always were other options. Mainly the pros, and the Bills. It's nice to see the SU football team do well, but doesn't carry near the same juice.

I dont know anyone who is only a football fan, I know some who prefere SU football but they still follow the bball program, go to games etc.

I was reading the thread on the football side and they do exist.

SU Basketball represents all of Upstate NY. It includes the Rochester area. JB came from Lyons. There is no other big time BBall around, no pro, no other real college. A local kid going to a local school and doing well. The paper, PS, seemed to turn on him, being the impetus for the probation. Yet, through it all, JB stayed and still won. Not big, but still consistently won. And now, he is finally going big time. That is a story Upstaters can be proud of, no matter where they currently reside. It's part of the Upstate you bring with you. It has been a multi-generational thing. It's something most of these type of fans probably did with their fathers.

For football, there always were other options. Mainly the pros, and the Bills. It's nice to see the SU football team do well, but doesn't carry near the same juice.

Not disagreeing with your post at all as most fo that rings true but pretty much everything you said also translates for the fball team. Local guys, alumni coach, storied program, hit a couple rough patches, had some sucess and is starting to rise again.. Now obviously the fball program is no where near as good as the bball program has been over the past decade not even close but SU football is still a huge part of this school. People can say its not true but SU is a football school always has been always will be.

People can say its not true but SU is a football school always has been always will.

Not going to get into a pissing contest as I respect your opinion but we are a basketball school first and foremost. It may have been a football school at one point but make no mistake we are a basketball power. Ask 1000 people the first thing that comes to mind when they think of Syracuse Sports or the Carrier Dome and 999 will say SU Hoops. We contend for a NC every year in hoops. We have top 10 recruiting classes year after year in hoops. We have won the 5th most games in the history of college basketball. We have a hall of fame coach who will have won the 2nd most games ever. Ask 1000 fans if they are more excited about Florida State coming into the dome for football or Duke for basketball and its a landslide. We made the move to the ACC for football but what noone will admit is that we as fans are WAAAY more excited about the basketball move.

We are not a football school and that is not a knock on the football program. I dont know why people still think that we are.

This is another example of a stupid thread on the hoops board.:D

btw, I post on both, and lax sometimes too. I love all SU sports.

I really feel bad for the lacrosse fans...are they not relevant enough to get dragged into this...if we are going to have a syracuse sports war then they should get dragged into his mess too

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

2 of the greatest coaches in their respective sports are from Syracuse. Tommy Coughlin and Jimmy B! So you can't just root for SU Basketball and Football, you also have to root for the New York Giants! If you don't root for those 3 teams you are a fair weather fan in my book.

To recap:

Football Onlies: "We're the best fans. We stuck together through thick and thin. You basketball onlies are bandwagoners."

Basketball Onlies: "No, we're the best fans. Don't hate us b/c we have a consistently winning product to root for."

Lacrosse Onlies: "Hey what about us? Can you hear us?"

Dual Fans: "If you're not a fan of all sports, you're a worthless disgrace and don't deserve to root for the University."

BRNCUSE: "Go kick rocks, all y'alls."

2 of the greatest coaches in their respective sports are from Syracuse. Tommy Coughlin and Jimmy B! So you can't just root for SU Basketball and Football, you also have to root for the New York Giants! If you don't root for those 3 teams you are a fair weather fan in my book.

BTW, Tom C started his head coaching experience at RIT

35 and post on both football and basketball forums. I will root for any syracuse team but pay attention to football and basketball programs mostly. I looked up men's soccer a few times this year and watched one game. Lax is something I will look online to see if they won if I think of it but I don't usually see any games until final four. Being a fan is much more fun when the programs are winning.

Maybe one of the basketball onlys can clue me in but I dont understand how you can be a huge SU basketball fan and not care about the football team, I dont get it. Do you not follow the football side at all? What the hell are you doing when SU is playing and for the majority of the second half of this past season playing well? Personally I am an absolute diehard for both as well as Lax. While I can understand some not following the Lax program I cant fathom just following the basketball program and not football or vice versa.

I "support" football only because you have to have a BCS level football to be competitive year in and year out in D1 basketball. So, yes, in a sense I "support" SU football. I was desperate to get out of the Big East (I actually preferred a B1G invite) only because I knew that the football program had to survive in order for the hoops program to continue to prosper.

Eventually, I think, most of the current FBS schools are going to secede from the NCAA entirely and form their own organization with their own rules for recruiting and eligibility (including paying the players a stipend and allowing them to otherwise profit from their positions). That new organization is going to be recognized as big time basketball, and SU needs to be part of it. But that is the only reason I "support" football. I very rarely watch the games, because I think football is unbearably boring. You give up 3 hours of your life for a sum total of about 14 minutes of actual action. I don't understand why otherwise intelligent and dynamic people willingly sit around and watch a bunch of guys mill around and hold meetings for three hours. Football sucks . . . but it is a necessary evil.

On the other hand, as I have stated before, I am not an alum and I am no longer a local. I've come to realize that I am not a Syracuse fan at all, I am a Boeheim fan. When he retires, I expect the team to slide off the top tier (because JB is that good), and at that point I will probably stop being so following it so obsessively.

On the other hand, as I have stated before, I am not an alum and I am no longer a local. I've come to realize that I am not a Syracuse fan at all, I am a Boeheim fan. When he retires, I expect the team to slide off the top tier (because JB is that good), and at that point I will probably stop being so following it so obsessively.
I think it is this portion of the fan base that is most at risk when the switch happens. The strong ties can start loosening after this change takes place. To SU's and JBs credit there is a succession plan, like no other, in place. Also looks like Hop will inherit a talented squad, so hopefully he can start with several really good years.

But it seems a certainty that this incredible level of winning will subside at some point. And when it does a lot of people will be questioning their level of obsession. It has been for this reason that I have been openly campaigning for Hop to keep the zone. Keep every tie in place to this golden era because the more you move away from it, the easier it will be for people to move on. I enjoy following this team obsessively and would miss it.

From reading that "fan history" thread, it's clear that people become passionate fans of SU basketball and/or SU athletics for a variety of reasons, and that many actually have no direct connection to the school or area. To me, a fan is a fan is fan; suggesting there is some litmus test that determines whether you are a "true fan" (or something less) seems silly.

they are correct . . . but on the other hand, they are writing about the most boring sport ever invented.

I don't see anyone writing about soccer.

Generational survey here:

Who here below the age of 30 considers themselves a "die-hard" SU football fan?

Just turned 30, and lost my voice 12 times this year... so far. Looking forward to be hoarsed up heading into 2013 too.

I've come to realize that I am not a Syracuse fan at all, I am a Boeheim fan. When he retires, I expect the team to slide off the top tier (because JB is that good), and at that point I will probably stop being so following it so obsessively.
But it seems a certainty that this incredible level of winning will subside at some point. And when it does a lot of people will be questioning their level of obsession. It has been for this reason that I have been openly campaigning for Hop to keep the zone. Keep every tie in place to this golden era because the more you move away from it, the easier it will be for people to move on. I enjoy following this team obsessively and would miss it.

I'm a little more optimistic about what will happen after JB rides off into the sunset. I hope you two are working to create a JB clone because I'd miss your posts. ;)

26, Didnt follow any college sports other than lax until 04. Fell in love with SU basketball. Never cared for college football until I found this board. Actually, I found this board while looking for information on an SU tailgate for the pinstripe bowl. Now I consider myself a die hard Cuse football fan.

I have alot of fairweather basketball fans back home. The last two years I have bought football tickets off Mark for my friends back home.. You would think I bought them herpes. I had friends actually go to two games, and one I had to guilt trip them into. The others I ended up giving to my dad and his buddy.

it's clear that people become passionate fans of SU basketball for a variety of reasons, and that many actually have no direct connection to the school or area.
Bingo. Thank you.

People can say its not true but SU is a football school always has been always will be.
Syracuse is a football school like Portugal is a naval power . . . both were once true, but those eras have faded into distant history.

Absolutely, count me as one. I love both equally. Post more on Football side however.