Ot: The Oscars | Syracusefan.com

Ot: The Oscars

Briancuse

Living Legend
Any predictions for tonight, I hope American Sniper cleans house, it was such a great movie, Bradley Cooper was terrific.

"American Sniper" is not a movie that the liberal (voting) Hollywood establishment would like. If the general public got to vote, I suspect it would be "American Sniper" in a landslide.

My prediction...American Sniper gets hosed BIG TIME. It'll win something, but I just have a feeling they'll give all the love to this Birdman movie no one I know has seen.

The Oscars can be a real sham.

I've seen all of the best pic nominees this year. Boyhood was my least favorite so it will probably win. I loved Birdman and The Theory of Everything. I'll take Michael Keaton over Eddie Redmayne for best actor and Julianne Moore for actress. JK Simmons and Arquette both seem like shoo-ins. Director will go to either the Birdman guy or the Boyhood guy. Sniper will win best adapted screenplay, which is probably all it should win IMHO.

but I just have a feeling they'll give all the love to this Birdman movie no one I know has seen.

I watched it. It should win best Director and Cinematography. The concept of the movie is one continuous shot. It's brilliant and was extremely interesting how it all came together. The acting was good not great but the plot was ehhh.

I watched it. It should win best Director and Cinematography. The concept of the movie is one continuous shot. It's brilliant and was extremely interesting how it all came together. The acting was good not great but the plot was ehhh.

Not saying it's not deserving of something. I just think that Sniper should get Best Picture or Best Actor but will get neither.

Well, at least Birdman has the Raymond Carver/Tess Gallagher SU connection.

Sniper was never a favorite to win...box office usually doesn't mean a lot, even if it should. And Sniper had some support, given the nominations it got. But It was always going to be either Boyhood or Birdman. Doesn't mean either was "best"... Half of this is based on campaigning and what is or isn't controversial. Heck, Argo won a couple years ago mainly out of backlash that Affleck didn't get a director nomination.

Everyone i Know who saw Sniper thought it was a good movie, but no one came away thinking it was Oscar material. Same for Boyhood. interesting concept but an OK movie.

Everyone i Know who saw Sniper thought it was a good movie, but no one came away thinking it was Oscar material. Same for Boyhood. interesting concept but an OK movie.
idk, I thought Cooper's acting was definitely Oscar worthy. I haven't seen Theory yet so I can't say how well Redmayne captured the role. Linklater suffers somewhat from a loose script imo. He plays with time in most of his movies and gives his actors a lot of leeway in their roles. I loved the concept of the movie and thought the acting was for the most part great with the actors really becoming those characters over the 12 years. I wouldn't be surprised if he revisits them again in a few years to update their stories, kind of like Larry McMurtry does in many of his novels.

Boyhood was quite possibly the worst movie I had seen all year.

i thought that was reserved for 50 shades of grey

You know anything that starts as Twilight fan faction cannot possibly be good. That said I have not see 50 shades. Nor do I plan to.

I hated "The Artist," which won a few years ago for Best Picture. I could barely get through it.

I hated "The Artist," which won a few years ago for Best Picture. I could barely get through it.

Yeah, there are few Best Pictures that don't stand up. Shakespeare in Love? (over Saving Private Ryan) Dances with Wolves? (over Goodfellas GOODFELLAS!) Some of the Musicals that won over the years.

Any predictions for tonight, I hope American Sniper cleans house, it was such a great movie, Bradley Cooper was terrific.
I agree that Bradley Cooper was excellent in his rollin "the Sniper" My two favorites were Benedict Cumberbatch and Eddie Redmayne so I go one of them up there with an Oscar gripped tight.KUDOS to Lady Gaga, I had no idea she had that kind of range and or ability. I could have done without seeing Neil Patrick Harris come out in his jockey shorts. OK the guy is gay and he went cruising for a few million nore/other partners. I don't know or care the why of it . It wasn't funny IMO.

I agree that Bradley Cooper was excellent in his rollin "the Sniper" My two favorites were Benedict Cumberbatch and Eddie Redmayne so I go one of them up there with an Oscar gripped tight.KUDOS to Lady Gaga, I had no idea she had that kind of range and or ability. I could have done without seeing Neil Patrick Harris come out in his jockey shorts. OK the guy is gay and he went cruising for a few million nore/other partners. I don't know or care the why of it . It wasn't funny IMO.

Come on Cali. Don't be like that. Maybe he turned you on more than you expected? He's married, he wasn't cruising, he was doing a parody of one of the top movies from last night.

Come on Cali. Don't be like that. Maybe he turned you on more than you expected? He's married, he wasn't cruising, he was doing a parody of one of the top movies from last night.

It's OK, no one has seen Birdman so no one knew that was a takeoff on it. :)

The last movie I saw in the theater was Rocky Balboa.

How do people with kids find time to go to the movies?

Internet streaming when they go to bed. Or same at work.

The last movie I saw in the theaters was American Sniper. Was just as much of an excuse to get together with a buddy, have a couple (3 or 4) beers and a burger, as it was going to the movie. The movie before that was the last Hobbit and that was me and the boy. And the one before that was the 3rd Hunger Games movie, and that was all three of us - the wife, kid and me.

The last movie I saw in the theaters was American Sniper. Was just as much of an excuse to get together with a buddy, have a couple (3 or 4) beers and a burger, as it was going to the movie. The movie before that was the last Hobbit and that was me and the boy. And the one before that was the 3rd Hunger Games movie, and that was all three of us - the wife, kid and me.

I think its more that I A) never go outside in the winter and B) in the summer our family plays 300 rounds of golf a year so the movies take a back seat. I still have 8 movies that I got for xmas the past 2 xmases that are still in the plastic. I'm a loser

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom