OT - The Thug Artest only gets a 7 game suspension.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - The Thug Artest only gets a 7 game suspension..

Do you guys realize Ron Artest is one of the most charitable people in the NBA. Hes a great guy off the court. I only say this because people think he should be suspended forever because of prior incidents. Hes been a model citizen recently, although he did throw an elbow in the playoffs last year as the entire Laker team imploded.

Do you guys realize Ron Artest is one of the most charitable people in the NBA. Hes a great guy off the court. I only say this because people think he should be suspended forever because of prior incidents. Hes been a model citizen recently, although he did throw an elbow in the playoffs last year as the entire Laker team imploded.

I am aware. Artest seems like a real weird dude; he has some really good points and some really bad points. (So maybe that just makes him human...)

But are you saying his prior history shouldn't come into play? This is a guy who ran into the stands and attacked fans. That's really bad; giving money and/or time to charity doesn't erase that, imo. Anyway, even if there was no history with Artest, that was a really dirty play. I think 7 games was light no matter what. It might not be a deterrent to him, but maybe it would be to other guys. Stuff like that doesn't belong in the game. (I will now come down off my soapbox).

I am aware. Artest seems like a real weird dude; he has some really good points and some really bad points. (So maybe that just makes him human...)

But are you saying his prior history shouldn't come into play? This is a guy who ran into the stands and attacked fans. That's really bad; giving money and/or time to charity doesn't erase that, imo. Anyway, even if there was no history with Artest, that was a really dirty play. I think 7 games was light no matter what. It might not be a deterrent to him, but maybe it would be to other guys. Stuff like that doesn't belong in the game. (I will now come down off my soapbox).
I wouldve suspended him for the entire first round so 7 games is probably worse considering it could go into the second round. On the other hand, he could also be back for Game 7. It was a horrible move on his part, I agree, but I think people are going a little overboard when they say ban him for the rest of the year and kick him out of the NBA. People throw elbows in the NBA. This one by Artest was particularly violent and not in the flow of the game aside from he was worked up after the dunk but imo Harden absolutely instigated it by intentionally getting in Artest's way and while he didnt deserve to get knocked out he did play a part by engaging Artest. Its not like Artest sought out Harden and lit him up while Harden was minding his own business.

I wouldn't ban Artest for life or anything. Harden may have instigated it (I'll need to see it again) but that isn't much of an excuse for me. I would suspend the guy for 20-25 games though. (Which would essentially be for the rest of the year)

I think its conceivable that, given his bipolar nature, he would have done the same thing to either a teammate or a referee if they were in Harden's place.

The NBA probably could have done more to ensure that Artest doesn't play against OKC again this year, which is highly possible if not probable.

it should have been an open ended suspension - 7 games as a base, plus the number of games that Harden misses. If Harden misses 3, then Metta misses 10, etc.

speaking as a laker fan, i think the nba got it just right :cool:

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

I think its conceivable that, given his bipolar nature, he would have done the same thing to either a teammate or a referee if they were in Harden's place.

The NBA probably could have done more to ensure that Artest doesn't play against OKC again this year, which is highly possible if not probable.
I think there is a lot of accurracy in your post. Artest was chest thumping and celebrating, I agree that if that had been a teammate they might've gotten the same elbow. In his mind I believe he was warding off someone who for some reason while Artest was celebrating his play decided to walk right into him and put 2 hands on him. It was a reaction. A dangerous reaction but still a reaction. Why did Harden decide he need to put his hands on Artest after the play he wasn't even involved in?

I think there is a lot of accurracy in your post. Artest was chest thumping and celebrating, I agree that if that had been a teammate they might've gotten the same elbow. In his mind I believe he was warding off someone who for some reason while Artest was celebrating his play decided to walk right into him and put 2 hands on him. It was a reaction. A dangerous reaction but still a reaction. Why did Harden decide he need to put his hands on Artest after the play he wasn't even involved in?

Harden was waiting for the inbounds pass, this out-of-control maniac bumps into him, Harden puts his hands out to keep from being run over. "World Peace" cocks and loads his elbow and fires a brutal blow to Harden's head. And Harden was at fault? You can't be serious.

Harden was waiting for the inbounds pass, this out-of-control maniac bumps into him, Harden puts his hands out to keep from being run over. "World Peace" cocks and loads his elbow and fires a brutal blow to Harden's head. And Harden was at fault? You can't be serious.
What are you watching? Harden clearly moves over 3 steps to get in Artest's way. He didnt deserve what he got but he absolutely went out of his way to be in Artest's way.

What are you watching? Harden clearly moves over 3 steps to get in Artest's way. He didnt deserve what he got but he absolutely went out of his way to be in Artest's way.
He's walking over to get the pass. An out-of-control Artest came into him. But, you're right, it's Harden's fault. He shouldn't have had his head in the way of Artest's lock-and-loaded elbow.

This is the new ESPN spin, get used to it. They have a brand and NBA product to protect, so they wheel out lunatics like Stephen A and Skip B to spew this nonsense. Another reason they are sickening.

I think it's likely Harden was trying to get in Artest's way a little bit.

He's walking over to get the pass. An out-of-control Artest came into him. But, you're right, it's Harden's fault. He shouldn't have had his head in the way of Artest's lock-and-loaded elbow.
Its not Hardens fault. I never said that. Harden did get in the way, it doesnt excuse what Artest did, but Harden went to disrupt Artest and give him a little acknowledgment. It happens all the time. I wouldnt put any blame on Harden but I would use that in determing the length of suspension for Artest.

I think it's likely Harden was trying to get in Artest's way a little bit.
watching it in real time, it looks to me like he altered his path to get out of Kobe's way, not to deliberately get in MWP's path

lesson learned - always bump Kobe to avoid the psychopath in the other lane. Lakers fans blindly supporting MWP should be satisfied with all the extra contact that will draw their aging star.

watching it in real time, it looks to me like he altered his path to get out of Kobe's way, not to deliberately get in MWP's path

lesson learned - always bump Kobe to avoid the psychopath in the other lane. Lakers fans blindly supporting MWP should be satisfied with all the extra contact that will draw their aging star.

I dunno, Kobe turned around and started running back on D. Harden didn't need to continue in the path he did. But I feel like I am really splitting hairs at this point; its also possible Harden was on auto pilot at that point; how many times has he received an inbounds pass after the other team scored? 10,000 times in his life? More? Maybe he just naturally goes in that direction to catch it.

I dunno, Kobe turned around and started running back on D. Harden didn't need to continue in the path he did. But I feel like I am really splitting hairs at this point; its also possible Harden was on auto pilot at that point; how many times has he received an inbounds pass after the other team scored? 10,000 times in his life? More? Maybe he just naturally goes in that direction to catch it.
How many times when he received an inbounds pass did he move towards a defender and place 2 hands on him? Harden definitely was trying to disrupt Artest's celebration. Didn't deserve what he he received but his actions affected the situation.

If this was a no name player or a rookie they would have been put down for the rest of the year. MWP, being a Laker, gets what he did.

harden already has a reputation in the league as a trash talker and not a dirty player but more an annoying player. he was definitely trying to get in artests way, no doubt about it. unfortunately he got in the way of his flying elbow.

harden already has a reputation in the league as a trash talker and not a dirty player but more an annoying player. he was definitely trying to get in artests way, no doubt about it. unfortunately he got in the way of his flying elbow.

No, MWP made sure that the elbow was in Harden's way.

The last game between them in Ok. City Harden was doing the same thing. Only he did it to Kobe and added some in your face trash talk, Ron stepped in and pushed him away from Kobe and Ron got a T. That's his move. The 'get in your way' and make it look like he's not BS.

Now, no way in hell did he deserve a full speed flying elbow. But Harden has been pushing it for awhile. He's like KG. Antagonizes. Don't think this incident didn't also stem from him doing that many times before. That's his thing and he bit off more than he could chew with crazy ass Ron Artest. It's pretty much an unwritten NBA rule that you avoid conflict with Mr. Peace.

In no way do I defend Artest. But mess with the bull... Harden knew exactly what he was doing and I say this because he's known for it. He's a gnat. 7 games is fair, esp. considering they are playoff games. And yes, the NBA favors the Lakers. That's why they vetoed a perfectly acceptable Chris Paul trade which sent the NO franchise to one of the worst records in NBA history. And when Eric Gordon doesn't re-sign (which he hasn't), they will have traded Chris Paul for... nothing! That dude from Wake Forrest and Kamen who they will ditch this summer. What a joke.

Also, what Ron did was awful. But the outrage is ridiculous. The Mailman knocked David Robinson out with an elbow to the back of the head and didn't even get a foul called. And ripped Issiah's face open. McHale clotheslining Rambis? The Detroit bad boy era? I'm not defending it, but it also wasnt as heinous a crime as it's being portrayed.

In no way do I defend Artest. But mess with the bull... Harden knew exactly what he was doing and I say this because he's known for it. He's a gnat.

actually, yes you are . . . it is a weak and tepid defense, to be sure, more along the lines of an equivocation, but it is clearly a defense

actually, yes you are . . . it is a weak and tepid defense, to be sure, more along the lines of an equivocation, but it is clearly a defense

Nah, I know what he did was wrong. I'm merely trying to illustrate that Harden was doing what he always does. Ron should have pushed him. An elbow was wrong. Like I said, this was started, by Harden, a long time ago.

I defend that he had the right to react. Just not to that extreme.

So, Jordan, who was one of the great trash talkers should have been hammered by one of the opposition and it would have been OK? That person would have been thrown out for the season.
What MWP did was uncalled for. Sticks and stones? I guess if somebody gets in your face long enough in sports you go crazy? You wouldn't last long on most teams or leagues if you did. Go Lakers, Go Stern.