OT: Today Notre Dame and Miami joined AAU. | Syracusefan.com

OT: Today Notre Dame and Miami joined AAU.

I thought it was almost required that a university have a medical school or be affiliated with one. Notre Dame is affiliated with Univ of Indiana school of medicine located in South Bend. Miami has a medical school. SU would need to either become affiliated with NY’s Upstate in Syracuse or start their own. SU sold their medical college decades ago to the State which became Upstate.

I thought it was almost required that a university have a medical school or be affiliated with one. Notre Dame is affiliated with Univ of Indiana school of medicine located in South Bend. Miami has a medical school. SU would need to either become affiliated with NY’s Upstate in Syracuse or start their own. SU sold their medical college decades ago to the State which became Upstate.
Based on what I read about UMass I am thinking the same thing. They cannot get in because the medical school is both in Worcester and under the entire UMass system umbrella rather than directly associated with the flagship in Amherst.

I know that premise (medical school affiliation) has been stated here many times. I know very little about AAU, so take this with a very big grain of salt. Princeton is an example of an AAU school without a medical school or affiliation. There are multiple factors considered.

I know that premise (medical school affiliation) has been stated here many times. I know very little about AAU, so take this with a very big grain of salt. Princeton is an example of an AAU school without a medical school or affiliation. There are multiple factors considered.
We just score zero on medical paper. But we can compensate by scoring high on science and engineering. By the way, Syracuse is R1 research university. Most R1 are in AAU. We should be able to find a path if we try a little harder.

We just score zero on medical paper. But we can compensate by scoring high on science and engineering. By the way, Syracuse is R1 research university. Most R1 are in AAU. We should be able to find a path if we try a little harder.

Not enough Federal research $$$.

Most of SU's research is privately funded.

Would St Elizabeth College of Nursing in Utica count as a Med School if SU did something with them

Would St Elizabeth College of Nursing in Utica count as a Med School if SU did something with them
Can these nursing students write research paper and most importantly, have them published?

There are a number of nursing schools in Syracuse - all three hospitals in Syracuse have them along with Onondaga Community College. Syracuse University itself had a nursing school too but closed it in 2006. It wouldn’t count and doesn’t count. Has to be a medical school into not just teaching future doctors but heavily involved with medical research.

There are many research agencies such as NSF, DOE, USDA, and NIH. The AAU has deemphasized USDA research so primary ag schools get the short end of the stick.

NIH funding has greatly increased. You don't need a medical school but having one is much easier to receiving NIH funding. Other niches can be found. Chemistry or biochemistry in health related research can get massive NIH funds. Perhaps Princeton is good in some of these niches.

The AAU may change their requirements so some schools that were strong in some areas may not qualify anymore (ag). Or in the case of Nebraska, they notified them that the research Nebraska counted at the Omaha campus, because it is classified as a separate school, goes to zero.

AAU is a comparison. If non-AAU schools have more AAU qualified research than an AAU school, they will notify this school that they are on the clock.

Syracuse, Iowa State, and as mentioned Nebraska all got caught up in the above.

I am hearing Oregon is one of the lower research performers. They better get that Big 10 invite fast.

There are things that the university can do to incentivize sponsored research (for example, make it easier for professors to "buy out" their courses, which is much more difficult at SU than at most other similar schools). But, as far as I can tell, the university hasn't taken those steps. It's the administration's choice whether federal grants are a priority, but you have to do more than talk about it if you want it to happen.

There are many research agencies such as NSF, DOE, USDA, and NIH. The AAU has deemphasized USDA research so primary ag schools get the short end of the stick.

NIH funding has greatly increased. You don't need a medical school but having one is much easier to receiving NIH funding. Other niches can be found. Chemistry or biochemistry in health related research can get massive NIH funds. Perhaps Princeton is good in some of these niches.
Does SUNY Upstate do a lot of research in areas that the AAU considers relevant?

If an affiliation was developed, would it make a significant difference?

I'm surprised with the affiliation with JMA that SU doesn't get into federally funded 5G and radio wave technology research in some type of JV with JMA.

Seems appropriate to re-post this again. Notre Dame and Miami now move into the upper right tier while SU remains in the "Other Candidates" tier with academic powerhouses Louisville and Cincinnati. Thanks Nancy.

FwWK_CzXgAALHOm

NIH biomedical has seemed to be where the money's been for a while, even before covid. NSF has always been easier to deal with. DOE and USDA has always been too much of a pain for me to want to mess with.

I get super excited whenever this conversation comes up, but it never seems to go anywhere. Similar to my current institution. We've been talking about obtaining R1 status for 6 years now. But all we're doing is talking about it, and seems like we only talk about it when the chancellor is looking for a support boost. Need less talk, more monies.

Seems appropriate to re-post this again. Notre Dame and Miami now move into the upper right tier while SU remains in the "Other Candidates" tier with academic powerhouses Louisville and Cincinnati. Thanks Nancy.

FwWK_CzXgAALHOm
Nancy ruined SU in every possible way. She is a spy sent by B1G to destroy Syracuse University.

FwWK_CzXgAALHOm
It’s kind of unfair that the cutoff is top 60. Syracuse and Va Tech are both at 62 now in the US News rankings (only one metric and one that gets overblown), so just miss being in the other bubble with Wake, BC etc. They’re both better academic schools than the others that they’re in the same bubble with (in some cases far better).

I noticed that my alma mater Boston University is now up to 41. When I was applying to schools 30 years ago(!), SU and BU (my final two choices) were ranked right around the same spot in the 50s and it continued to be that way for many years. I guess Nancy Chancy really did screw things up for SU. Another side note, it’s wild how Northeastern gamed the system about 15 years ago to rise way way up the US News rankings from when I was in college. The story about it is kind of crazy and shows the absurdity of these rankings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom