OT: Top 10 most hated in conference opposing players of your time. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Top 10 most hated in conference opposing players of your time.

I always get Michael Graham and Reggie Williams confused (I'm 31 and wasn't watching in the mid-80s). Which one punched the Villanova player right before halftime in the 85 title game? Was one dirtier than the other?
Williams punched a Nova player right before halftime. And it was a hit and run too.

I loved Reggie Williams' game though...helluva a shooter.

RF, why did you hate Kittles? Odd choice IMO.

10. Khalid El Amin
9. Victor Page
8. Michael Jackson
7. Iverson
6. Reggie Williams
5. Wingate
4. Charles Smith (the druggie from Gtown)
3. Michael Graham
2. Mourning
1. Ewing
We need more room for all the other misfits from Ed Spriggs (The guy was about 28...they claimed he'd been working as a mailman) through Motumbo...to Otto Porter.

I LOOOOOOAAAAATHE G-TOWN!

If I ever personally see Graham or Krauser in this world or the next, school's out....

1) Michael Graham. If I didn't out him there, he'd have shoved his way in.
2) John "Elbows" Pinone
3) Jeff Bullis, a 29% free throw shooter who went 13 for 15 at the end of the 1979 ECAC game vs. Georgetown.
4) Herve Laminzana
5) Michael Adams
6) Carl Krauser
7) Kyle Kuric
8) Donyell Marshall
9) Charles Smith, (both of them)
10) Chevon Troutman

Who from our team would make other BE schools' lists?

Pearl, Devendorf - having more trouble here because i think JB coaches his players to play like gentlemen.

Pearl, Devendorf - having more trouble here because i think JB coaches his players to play like gentlemen.

DC for sure.

No way whatsoever I could restrict this to 10.

Ewing
Michael Graham
Victor Page
Allen Iverson
Reggie Williams
Perry McDonald
Jeff Green
Michael Sweetney
Charles Smith [G'town]
Charles Smith [Pitt]
Carl Krauser
Brian Shorter
Sean Miller
Chevon Troutman
Ontario Lett
Fat Aaron Gray
Fatter El Amin
Hasheem Thabeet
Cliff Robinson
Donyell Marshall
Doron Sheffer
Marcus Williams
Shabazz Napier
Jake Voskul
Brian Fair
Ray Allen
Chris Smith
Josh Boone
Kerry Kittles
Tom Gries
Mark Plansky
Ryan Arcidiacono
Jason Lawson
Pat Garrity
Tim Kempton*
Elmer Bennett*
Eddie Griffin
90% of Marquette players
Yancy Gates
Sean Kilpatrick
Eric Williams
Peyton Siva
Terrance Williams
Mike Marra
Kyle Kuric

...and in the interest of full disclosure, here are the only two players in Syracuse history that I couldn't find redeeming qualities in:

Michael Edwards
Josh Wright

Awesome rant!

Honestly, I don't think there's a close second after Devo. People HATED him.

No way whatsoever I could restrict this to 10.

Ewing
Michael Graham
Victor Page
Allen Iverson
Reggie Williams
Perry McDonald
Jeff Green
Michael Sweetney
Charles Smith [G'town]
Charles Smith [Pitt]
Carl Krauser
Brian Shorter
Sean Miller
Chevon Troutman
Ontario Lett
Fat Aaron Gray
Fatter El Amin
Hasheem Thabeet
Cliff Robinson
Donyell Marshall
Doron Sheffer
Marcus Williams
Shabazz Napier
Jake Voskul
Brian Fair
Ray Allen
Chris Smith
Josh Boone
Kerry Kittles
Tom Gries
Mark Plansky
Ryan Arcidiacono
Jason Lawson
Pat Garrity
Tim Kempton*
Elmer Bennett*
Eddie Griffin
90% of Marquette players
Yancy Gates
Sean Kilpatrick
Eric Williams
Peyton Siva
Terrance Williams
Mike Marra
Kyle Kuric

...and in the interest of full disclosure, here are the only two players in Syracuse history that I couldn't find redeeming qualities in:

Michael Edwards
Josh Wright

I agree with most of your list - but how could anyone hate Ray Allen? I know he went to UConn, but I don't recall him ever having a non-classy moment in his college or pro career.

image.jpg

Honestly, I don't think there's a close second after Devo. People HATED him.

I hated him as a human being as well. Devo is everything Marshall Henderson currently is. But without as much media as there is today (even though he was all of 5 years ago...)

We need more room for all the other misfits from Ed Spriggs (The guy was about 28...they claimed he'd been working as a mailman) through Motumbo...to Otto Porter.

I LOOOOOOAAAAATHE G-TOWN!
Sam the Mailman he made my list
He sucked. And he should have sucked vs. us.
But he didn't.
I hate guys like that, that suck against everybody else except us. That 7-7 guy with Vermont, Aaron Bain, Sam The Mailman...

I hated him as a human being as well. Devo is everything Marshall Henderson currently is. But without as much media as there is today (even though he was all of 5 years ago...)
There is a part of me enjoying others hating MY guys!

I agree with most of your list - but how could anyone hate Ray Allen? I know he went to UConn, but I don't recall him ever having a non-classy moment in his college or pro career.
Ray Allen and Ben Gordon. Both would have looked great in Orange. I have the utmost respect for both of them.

I'm sure there are other team's fan bases that show some hate for Mr. We don't win 10 games without him.

1. Michael Graham
  2. Michael Graham
  3. Michael Graham
  4. Khalid El-Amin
  5. Earl Kelley
  6. Jared Dudley
  7. John Pinone
  8. Ron Rowan
  9. Sleepy Floyd
  10. Michael Graham
I like yours except for me he's 1-10, that punch he threw, should have had him suspended permanently. He was a thug who never should have been allowed to play. John Thompson as a coach deserves to be 1-10, and should have been suspended along with Graham.

"Hate" is such an ugly word. I really dislike these threads that are premised on"hate" -- especially when they are started by someone with zero historical perspective about Big East basketball.

I'll give you Michael Graham and Foreign Dude ... because they hurt our players...but clean-cut guys Ron Rowan?

And there are some really head-tuning names on these lists. Ray Allen? Chris Smith? Dikembe Mutombo? Ray Nardi? Sean Miller? Ben Gordon? Emeka Okafor? Why do they and other really upstanding citizens appear on these lists. Motumbo and Okafor, for example, are two of the most stellar citizens ever to play in the league. And there are some players here who were a joy to watch... such as Jae Crowder and Gary McLain... even when they were playing their hearts out against SU.

Last edited:
cto said:
"Hate" is such an ugly word. I really dislike these threads that are premised on"hate" -- especially when they are started by someone with zero historical perspective about Big East basketball. I'll give you Michael Graham and Foreign Dude ... because they hurt our players...but clean-cut guys Ron Rowan? And there are some really head-tuning names on these lists. Ray Allen? Chris Smith? Dikembe Mutombo? Ray Nardi? Sean Miller? Why do they and other really upstanding citizens appear on these lists. And there are some players here who were a joy to watch... such as Jae Crowder and Gary McLain... even when they were playing their hearts out against SU.

Not saying I disagree with the intent of your post, but what does the age of the poster have to do with it? Just because he/she doesn't go back as far as some of us, I fail to see how that is relevant.

When someone became a fan doesn't really matter.

44cuse

Not saying I disagree with the intent of your post, but what does the age of the poster have to do with it? Just because he/she doesn't go back as far as some of us, I fail to see how that is relevant.

When someone became a fan doesn't really matter.

44cuse
The age of the poster is relevant because he made a post in which he didn't know what he was talking about. Any list suggesting some players deserve to be hated .. has to start with Michael Graham and Foreign Dude. The OP apparently hadn't heard of either one of them.

His list starts with Stanley Robinson? SU's major interaction with him was when we ended his season with a leg injury and, in so doing, probably hurt UConn's post=season. He should probably hate SU

The age of the poster is relevant because he made a post in which he didn't know what he was talking about. Any list suggesting some players deserve to be hated .. has to start with Michael Graham and Foreign Dude. The OP apparently hadn't heard of either one of them.

His list starts with Stanley Robinson? SU's major interaction with him was when we ended his season with a leg injury and, in so doing, probably hurt UConn's post=season. He should probably hate SU

That's my point. The poster stated he is 20 years old which means he was born in 1994. Expecting him to know someone who had a double double in the 1984 Final Four is a bit much. Like I said, I don't disagree with the point of your response around the word "hate" or even the choice of some of the players mentioned in the thread. But it's a bit of a stretch to disparage the post based on age. The players he knows about start in the 90's.

It's no different than being at a cocktail party and I talk to someone who is asking about Pearl was like and make comparisons to players that those of us who saw him would never compare. That person isn't less of a fan or less of an alum, just didn't live trough the period.

Disagree with the choices, but to put it on age isn't so right.

44cuse

"Hate" is such an ugly word. I really dislike these threads that are premised on"hate" -- especially when they are started by someone with zero historical perspective about Big East basketball.

I'll give you Michael Graham and Foreign Dude ... because they hurt our players...but clean-cut guys Ron Rowan?

And there are some really head-tuning names on these lists. Ray Allen? Chris Smith? Dikembe Mutombo? Ray Nardi? Sean Miller? Ben Gordon? Emeka Okafor? Why do they and other really upstanding citizens appear on these lists. Motumbo and Okafor, for example, are two of the most stellar citizens ever to play in the league. And there are some players here who were a joy to watch... such as Jae Crowder and Gary McLain... even when they were playing their hearts out against SU.

In this context, I'm not uncomfortable with "despised," ... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom