OT- Univ of South Carolina | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT- Univ of South Carolina

While the promotion/relegation model would work for pro sports, I don't think there is anyway it'd work for college sports. Much more money and political influence are wielded in support of your local state-funded uniersity than the local pro team. JMHO...

Right but at this point we aren't talking about college sports as much as kids that don't want to go to college playing in lower level leagues. Pretty much just take college out of the equation for those that don't desire that route. A 4 year degree from most institutions would still be on par or greater than what these guys would get paid in lower leagues.

Syracuse 16 Auburn 16
Syracuse 23 LSU 10
Syracuse 19 Georgia 18
Syracuse 49 Vanderbilt 14
Syracuse 37 Vanderbilt 10
Syracuse 38 Florida 21
Tennessee 34 Syracuse 33
Syracuse 31 Auburn 14
Auburn 37 Syracuse 34 (OT)

Once upon a time we had a reputation as "SEC killers". What you have to remember is that, while certain schools have certain advantages, those are advantages in recruiting teenagers. They do their growing up in college.

Syracuse 16 Auburn 16
Syracuse 23 LSU 10
Syracuse 19 Georgia 18
Syracuse 49 Vanderbilt 14
Syracuse 37 Vanderbilt 10
Syracuse 38 Florida 21
Tennessee 34 Syracuse 33
Syracuse 31 Auburn 14
Auburn 37 Syracuse 34 (OT)

Once upon a time we had a reputation as "SEC killers". What you have to remember is that, while certain schools have certain advantages, those are advantages in recruiting teenagers. They do their growing up in college.
Other SU-SEC matchups over the years:

Syracuse 31 Missouri 27 2012
Tennessee 33 Syracuse 9 2001
Syracuse 20 Kentucky 13 1999 Music City Bowl
Florida 31 Syracuse 10 1998 Orange Bowl
Miss St 24 Syracuse 17 1986
Miss St 30 Syracuse 3 1985
Florida 16 Syracuse 0 1984
Tennessee 18 Syracuse 12 1966 Gator Bowl
LSU 13 Syracuse 10 1965 Sugar Bowl
Alabama 61 Syracuse 6 1952 Orange Bowl
Syracuse 33 Florida 12 1931
Syracuse 23 Alabama 0 1923

Pre SEC

Syracuse 24 Missouri 13 (1987 they weren't in the SEC but are currently)
Syracuse 41 Missouri 9 1986

We have never played So Car, Ole Miss, Ark & Tex A&M.

Our overall record against the current SEC members is 12-9

You can say whatever you want but we will never compete against the top of the SEC

All time we are 12-10-1 against the SEC which includes 1-1 vs Alabama, 1-1-1 vs Auburn, 2-2 vs Florida. I'd say we have competed in the past and we can once again.
That being said, Alabama is currently on another planet and we are still still climbing out of the giant hole that we were in...

All time we are 12-10-1 against the SEC which includes 1-1 vs Alabama, 1-1-1 vs Auburn, 2-2 vs Florida. I'd say we have competed in the past and we can once again.
That being said, Alabama is currently on another planet and we are still still climbing out of the giant hole that we were in...

Pretty sure he meant compete facilities wise...

Exactly.

I love the South but Columbia area is one of my least favorite places. There is something about the topography that keeps it warmer than the rest of the state but, even worse, it's one of the most humid places I've ever visited.

I've been to both USC's William-Brice Stadium and Clemson's Memorial Stadium a.k.a. Death Valley (I've even touched Howard's Rock) and the comparison isn't even close...Death Valley is ten times the venue.

Ummm I'm pretty sure the Clemson people want the piece of the rock you took back.

Charlotte NC here! Not a big fan of the city of Columbia and I believe we will get back to football as we once had and compete at a high level. It takes time to come back from being as bad as we were. All programs go through low points some obviously larger but when I moved to NC, USC was about a 500 team and hired Lou Holtz to try and get the program moving again. We will be fine and I feel we are in a much better situation than 5 yrs ago!

As much as it is true that it is hot there and not very fun except on game days , change the hot for cold and snow and it is the same thing we hear about Syracuse. Opinion and subjective! It's what you make out of it.

As much as it is true that it is hot there and not very fun except on game days , change the hot for cold and snow and it is the same thing we hear about Syracuse. Opinion and subjective! It's what you make out of it.

The difference in your comparison is that the majority of NY state (to my knowledge at least) does not hate Syracuse. Where as a good portion of South Carolina hates Columbia.

I live in Charlotte (18 + years now) and frequent Greenville, SC often. It's a wonderful little city, a pleasant downtown with some nice restaurants, etc. Also, saw one of the best concerts at the BI-LO Center a few years back when Bon-Jovi was on their Have A Nice Day Tour...3rd row, center floor! :)

I could see Bon Jovi's house from my wife's room in the hospital when my son was born. There's also been many a Jon sighting at the Monmouth Mall. That being said, the major downside is having to live in NJ.

[e="anglerman, post: 671900, member: 432"]Your'e forgetting that there's plenty of good football players out there my friend. they don't all want to play in the south. SU has had tons of succesful NFL playrs over the years. With the right coaching SU will be able to compete with almost anyone. You're dead wrong.[/quote]

First the facilities at a place like SC are tough to best.

And the pnanche of the SEC is also tough to beat.

And finally, it's tough to get the top talent down south to come north.

The guy is right.

The guy is right.

The 2013 Sugar Bowl says hello.

The 2013 Sugar Bowl says hello.

A few things.

First, Louisville is in the south - it's actually known as the "Gateway to the South."

Second, it's Louisville - not Syracuse University which I believe was the subject of the discussion - the Redbirds' Athletic budget dwarfs our budget - especially in terms of infrastructure.

Third, Louisville is a state school.

Fourth, one game does not decide this issue.

The Orange has a much better chance now with the ACC money - see new IPF - and the number of games it will play in the south. We will win some games against SEC competition - I have no doubt about that.

But on the whole, the SEC will remain too tough to beat.

A few things.

First, Louisville is in the south - it's actually known as the "Gateway to the South."

Second, it's Louisville - not Syracuse University which I believe was the subject of the discussion - the Redbirds' Athletic budget dwarfs our budget - especially in terms of infrastructure.

Third, Louisville is a state school.

Fourth, one game does not decide this issue.

The Orange has a much better chance now with the ACC money - see new IPF - and the number of games it will play in the south. We will win some games against SEC competition - I have no doubt about that.

But on the whole, the SEC will remain too tough to beat.

First - Syracuse crushed that southern state school with superior facilities eight months ago.

Second - Syracuse just beat an SEC team (in their place) seven months ago.

You can say whatever you want but we will never compete against the top of the SEC

Auburn, Georgia, LSU, and Florida would beg to differ - All beaten by SU in the modern era. (Auburn as recently as 2001)

Hell, we cost Florida a shot at the National Championship when we waxed them in 1991. (They were 10-1 in the regular season before losing to ND in the Sugar Bowl)

And though not a win, Syracuse gave Tennessee a hell of a game at the Dome in their national title season. (Damn you, referees and your wacky calls)

It's that kind of defeatist "We can't do it" attitude that holds Syracuse back - Not players or coaches.

I'm very confident that this program can get back to where it was. They definitely seem to be on their way in the right direction.

Now if your quote was about facilities, maybe we won't ever have a gazillion dollar weight room like Alabama or a locker room like Tennessee... But as for players and coaches, yeah, I think we can compete sometime real soon.

EDIT: So I didn't get to the bottom of the thread before responding and see that several others had stated similar sentiments. That doesn't change that I believe SU can return to glory, but I do apologize for jumping the gun in repeating what's already been said.

[e="anglerman, post: 671900, member: 432"]Your'e forgetting that there's plenty of good football players out there my friend. they don't all want to play in the south. SU has had tons of succesful NFL playrs over the years. With the right coaching SU will be able to compete with almost anyone. You're dead wrong.

The guy is right.[/quote]
Like I said all the talent isn't in the south. That said, SU has gotten plenty of talented players from the south. There comes a point where facilities can only get you so far. The fact is if you want to be an exceelnt football player SU is as good as anywhere. They've had a player selected in the first round 2 years in a row and a total of 3 players in the first 4 rounds this year. Like I said with the right staff SU can compete with anyone.

The guy is right.
Like I said all the talent isn't in the south. That said, SU has gotten plenty of talented players from the south. There comes a point where facilities can only get you so far. The fact is if you want to be an exceelnt football player SU is as good as anywhere. They've had a player selected in the first round 2 years in a row and a total of 3 players in the first 4 rounds this year. Like I said with the right staff SU can compete with anyone.[/quote]

Reports coming out of SU's football camps are indicating that players are happy with the smaller size of the camps & that they are getting a lot of individual attention. Many are saying it's the best camp that they've been to. If Syracuse can pay attention to detail better than it's recruiting competitors they can get a hand up
and steal some good recruits.

I live in Greenville, SC and that's what everyone not in Columbia calls that place: armpit. It's 10 degrees hotter than anywhere else in the state for no reason. Like they moved part of New Orleans to the middle of SC.

There's probably some swamp gas underground that's still burning from 1865.

Just got back from an "unofficial" visit visit to USC, seeing their athletic facilities, Williams -Brice Stadium and the practice fields and weight room, I now see why we just can't compete with and highly rated SEC team. We were treated like kings even though Sam would probably be a preferred walk-on. Couldn't "talk" to any coaches but got a great vibe from it. As long as Syracuse is in upstate NY and not below the Mason-Dixon line we will have a good years but I can see why the best players come south.
Yeah, and they're not even the best in the SEC, especially since so many of their athletic facilities are separated from the rest of the campus by a lot of really ugly city. My wife and I visited some friends that live in Columbia over Memorial Day weekend. They're alumni of USC and so I got a tour of the campus and city. As someone that plans on moving from Knoxville to somewhere in the Carolinas in about 5 years it took me no more than 5 minutes to decide Columbia, SC is not in the running.

If SU can use the infusion of ACC money to upgrade facilities, they'll at least be able to start grabbing more of the better prospects in the northeast. We'll never be able to get the highest rated southern kids. There are too many well funded public schools in the south, and there's too much southern football pride to let them get away.

Sad but true.

Herein lies the problem...contrary to all the coach's promises during recruitment, only a very small percentage of these kids (particularly those that are into everything superficial) will make it to the NFL or CFL. How many of them take their studies seriously? What do they fall back on when their college careers are over? It's always bothered me that the SEC treats their players more like commodities rather than student/athletes.
Troy Flemming, a former UT player, actually told me that football players, especially African American, were strongly encouraged to take easier course work so that they wouldn't have to study as much and could devote more time to football. There were guys that wanted to go into engineering that were told to take business classes instead. How sad is that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom