OT- Univ of South Carolina | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT- Univ of South Carolina

First the facilities at a place like SC are tough to best.

And the pnanche of the SEC is also tough to beat.

And finally, it's tough to get the top talent down south to come north.

The guy is right.
Like I said all the talent isn't in the south. That said, SU has gotten plenty of talented players from the south. There comes a point where facilities can only get you so far. The fact is if you want to be an exceelnt football player SU is as good as anywhere. They've had a player selected in the first round 2 years in a row and a total of 3 players in the first 4 rounds this year. Like I said with the right staff SU can compete with anyone.[/quote]

There is no question that Syracuse University is a great place to play football and develop into an NFL player.

But the fact is that while SU will clearly improve its talent base - it will not match the talent of many if not most of the SEC schools.

And facilities will make a huge difference.

Troy Flemming, a former UT player, actually told me that football players, especially African American, were strongly encouraged to take easier course work so that they wouldn't have to study as much and could devote more time to football. There were guys that wanted to go into engineering that were told to take business classes instead. How sad is that?
Was that under Fulmer?

Whatever happened to having the kid's best interest in mind? I'm sure this goes on to some extent at many universities but, for some reason, I think this is the norm in most of the $EC.

First - Syracuse crushed that southern state school with superior facilities eight months ago.

Second - Syracuse just beat an SEC team (in their place) seven months ago.

The Orange used a last second drive to beat a mediocre Mizzou team that is hardly the kind of SEC program that the OP was referencing.

And yes, the Orange defeated Louisville - great win for the program.

We can go to whatever individual games you wish to reference but on the whole the OP is right - we will never get the talent that the top of the SEC gets and if you think otherwise you probably thought that in the mid to late 1990s we had National Championship talent.

Was that under Fulmer?

Whatever happened to having the kid's best interest in mind? I'm sure this goes on to some extent at many universities but, for some reason, I think this is the norm in most of the $EC.
Yeah it was. He's not Fulmer's biggest fan.

The Orange used a last second drive to beat a mediocre Mizzou team that is hardly the kind of SEC program that the OP was referencing.

And yes, the Orange defeated Louisville - great win for the program.

We can go to whatever individual games you wish to reference but on the whole the OP is right - we will never get the talent that the top of the SEC gets and if you think otherwise you probably thought that in the mid to late 1990s we had National Championship talent.

Your exact words: "the SEC will remain too tough to beat."

I simply pointed out that a mere half a year ago our little ole football program beat an SEC team in their place. It's silly to disregard that win as if Mizzou is some kind of dreg - it was huge win over a program stacked with talent that has had excellent seasons over the last 5-10 years.

I have no visions of SU winning national championships in the near future if ever, but your posts in this thread wreak of the defeatist attitude that seems to now personify the SU football fanbase as a whole.

"South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum."

South Carolina spent more on the Strom Thurmond Fitness Center for the general student population than SU spends in 10 years for their students as facilities go. SC student pop not that much bigger than SU about 20,000

South Carolina spent more on the Strom Thurmond Fitness Center for the general student population than SU spends in 10 years for their students as facilities go. SC student pop not that much bigger than SU about 20,000
Their enrollment is 31,000, a full 50% more than SU. Even if it was the same, they get to play with state money, SU doesn't.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_South_Carolina

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom