OT: VT Sounds like a Mess These Days | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: VT Sounds like a Mess These Days

His last home game (hopefully against an”decent” opponent) is the one game where they should move the court to the center of the Dome and set the all-time home game attendance record that will never* be broken.

The problem with that is JB would have to announce in advance and he doesn't seem to be inclined to do that

Not a big VPI fan, glad they have fallen from there paper tiger perch. Beamer ball was built on very weak schedules, get spanked by a contender and lose meaningful games and bowls. The only real respectability they have is because Rutgers out-Beamered VPI.

They played in some big games because they were overvalued and the lack of SOS made the pay big time. Take a look at VPI's record in big games, it is not impressive.

Granted, Beamer stayed with VPI (an impressive feat in today's mobile coaching world) and Bud Foster could coach a defense. However, those who believe VPI was actually worthy of contender or power-house status should do some homework.

Last edited:
My point is that I believe the individual teams raise the profile of the conference, not the other way around. VT hasn't been relevant to the national picture since probably 2011 and the ACC wasn't really a powerhouse then either. In fact, they were pretty comparable to the Big East at that time.
FSU was still strong when Clemson rose to prominence. Same with Louisville. None of this helped us, BC, Pitt, NCSU...
I got your point. I just disagree. I think that the lower half of the SEC benefits from being in the SEC because they get to rub elbow with Florida, Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Georgia, and even 2nd tier SEC schools like Tennessee, Texas A&M, and Arkansas.

Not a big VPI fan, glad they have fallen from there paper tiger perch. Beamer ball was built on very weak schedules, get spanked by a contender and lose meaningful games and bowls. The only real respectability they have is because Rutgers out-Beamered VPI.

They played in some big games because they were overvalued and the lack of SOS made the pay big time. Take a look at VPI's record in big games, it is not impressive.

Granted, Beamer stayed with VPI (an impressive feat in today's mobile coaching world) and Bud Foster could coach a defense. However, those who believe VPI was actually worthy of contender or power-house status should do some homework.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Hold those calls please, ladies and gentlemen. We already have a winner!

Micheal Vick legimitized it for them when they went toe to toe with FSU in the NC game. Before then I think the national view was that they were decent, not much more. They rode their elevated perception for a long time after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom