OT: Why does the basketball board suck so much? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Why does the basketball board suck so much?

Even MCW mocked it, specifically calling out the "weak OOC schedule" thread.

The basketball board gets exponentially worse and worse every year.

Terrible.

It's the price we pay for having a ing awesome bball program.

I am a huge bball fan, but a way bigger fball fan. Fball has been bad for so long that it is that much more enjoyable and gratifying IMO to see them improving.

We've gotten to a point that we expect 25-30 win seasons out of bball and a minimum Sweet 16 appearance. Alot of bandwagon bball fans like SU now because they are no longer just good every year, they are great every year.

Fball will see it's day, hopefully soon.

There are more people on the football board who know what they're talking about than on the basketball board. Just look at the amount of people on the basketball side who think MCW should stay another year.

With all of the MCW stuff, its especially brutal right now, but the BB board is almost unreadable at this point. Football board I read every freakin' post. Same can't be said for the bball board anymore.
what's there to talk about? the basketball team is great and totally predictable.

i'd much rather just watch the games and say "That was awesome" and then be done with it. But noooooo I have to watch the bills and spend a week trying to make sense of the cruel world.

while I agree the bball board has its moronic threads, i want to remind people of the "fire marrone and hackett!!" threads.. followed up by "where is their extensions?!!?" .as well as the recent thread asking if we have talked about whos going to be qb next year, when that has came up 1, 2 or 25 times. im just saying its a "pot meet kettle" type of comparision

But the "Fire Hackett" threads, while premature and more than a bit silly, usually had at least some reasoned posts that invoked statistics and schemes as rationale for either keeping or jettisoning him.

The equivalent hoops threads have a bunch of mouthbreathers screaming "WHY DOES JIMMY PLAYZ THE ZONE SOOO MUCH!!1!!!1" over and over and over again, with no analysis or reason.

It's not just the topic, its HOW that topic is discussed.

But the "Fire Hackett" threads, while premature and more than a bit silly, usually had at least some reasoned posts that invoked statistics and schemes as rationale for either keeping or jettisoning him.

The equivalent hoops threads have a bunch of mouthbreathers screaming "WHY DOES JIMMY PLAYZ THE ZONE SOOO MUCH!!1!!!1" over and over and over again, with no analysis or reason.

It's not just the topic, its HOW that topic is discussed.

So much this. The Fire Hackett and Marrone threads were interesting, at least. A lot of good discussion about what kind of offense people want to see in the Dome and it also brought up a lot of discussion on good position coaches around the country.

I'm probably one of the rare fans who enjoys SU basketball even more than football [and make no mistake, I LOVE SU football, too].

But the last few years have seen a precipitous decline in the quality of dialogue on that forum. In general, I think that the board has had plenty of "mouthbreathers" [quoting Scooch above] in past incarnations of the board, but then we'd move and most of them would fall by the wayside--probably because they were too stupid to find where the rest of us went.

But the Scout move was so transparent, everyone was invited to come along to this new board, and we weren't able to trim any of the fat. The result being that there are more troglodytes and rabble rousers than ever, and they get more vocal / over-reactionary with each turnover, errant shot, and botched defensive assignment.

I used to post a lot more on that forum [and still post a fair amount], but the amount of nonsense that perpetuates there was frustrating and began to detract from my enjoyment of SU hoops, so I cut back.

I'm probably one of the rare fans who enjoys SU basketball even more than football [and make no mistake, I LOVE SU football, too].

But the last few years have seen a precipitous decline in the quality of dialogue on that forum. In general, I think that the board has had plenty of "mouthbreathers" [quoting Scooch above] in past incarnations of the board, but then we'd move and most of them would fall by the wayside--probably because they were too stupid to find where the rest of us went.

But the Scout move was so transparent, everyone was invited to come along to this new board, and we weren't able to trim any of the fat. The result being that there are more troglodytes than ever, and they get more vocal / overreactionary with each passing year. Very frustrating, as a die hard hoops fan who used to really enjoy that board.
best description ever

Just look at the amount of people on the basketball side who think MCW should stay another year.

Jesus, well would you want to have to start for the Magic next year? ;)

I've never quite understood the need to differentiate between SU sports teams.
I'm a Syracuse University fan, so even if it was a tiddly-winks tourney vs Georgetown or WVU, I'd watch & reflexively cheer for my alma mater.
I just don't see the point of people in glass houses tossing pebbles. Idiots are idiots, whether they post on a bball, ftball, lacrosse, or chess forum. God knows I've had many a face-palm over the moronic "Rutgers-obsessed" sub-group that inhabits this board...& you know who you are. :crazy:
We have a historic, documented, and well-respected RIVALRY with both GTown & UConn in bball, but you won't see thread-after-thread being dedicated to them on that forum.
Yet, you can't go one day without a passing reference by someone, to a total non-rival like Rutgers.
All due respect, but pot...meet kettle.

You know it's bad when igor threads that once stood out as obvious barrel-scraping moron bait now seem like thought-provoking performance art.

I've never quite understood the need to differentiate between SU sports teams.
I'm a Syracuse University fan, so even if it was a tiddly-winks tourney vs Georgetown or WVU, I'd watch & reflexively cheer for my alma mater.
I just don't see the point of people in glass houses tossing pebbles. Idiots are idiots, whether they post on a bball, ftball, lacrosse, or chess forum. God knows I've had many a face-palm over the moronic "Rutgers-obsessed" sub-group that inhabits this board...& you know who you are. :crazy:
We have a historical, documented, and well-respected RIVALRY with both GTown & UConn in bball, but you won't see thread-after-thread being dedicated to them on that forum.
Yet, you can't go one day without some passing reference by some, to a total non-rival like Rutgers.
All due respect, but pot...meet kettle.

I haven't read the MCW threads but every time I see a Rutgers reference it makes me sad how far this program has fallen. That's who we're supposed to hate? People itt are saying I told you so because we're in the Pinstripe Bowl? The last few years have been gratifying because we've appeared in 2 of those? Good God.

I haven't read the MCW threads but every time I see a Rutgers reference it makes me sad how far this program has fallen. That's who we're supposed to hate? People itt are saying I told you so because we're in the Pinstripe Bowl? The last few years have been gratifying because we've appeared in 2 of those? Good God.
Its been maddening and blatantly pathetic, IMO.
Not to mention the- "Why is our recruiting sub-par", and, "If HCDM leaves, who'll replace him", and,
"Why does our fanbase/facilities/attendance suck" threads.
No...this board is FAR superior to the other one. :rolleyes:

I used to post a lot more on that forum [and still post a fair amount], but the amount of nonsense that perpetuates there was frustrating and began to detract from my enjoyment of SU hoops, so I cut back.
That place after a loss is an apocalypse. You can't even have good recruiting conversations because everyone is a B or C list recruit because scout ranks them with 3 stars. Then every time someone talks you get FanFanClubClub talking about how he does advanced metrics and he knows a million scouts. Just brutal.

But the Scout move was so transparent, everyone was invited to come along to this new board, and we weren't able to trim any of the fat. The result being that there are more troglodytes and rabble rousers than ever, and they get more vocal / over-reactionary with each turnover, errant shot, and botched defensive assignment.

I agree completely. Bleed for both sports but probably enjoy the hoops team a tad more (literally 51-49). We contend for a NC in hoops every year and that makes it (for me) a little more enjoyable. I am more fed up with college football and the system than with Syracuse and their direction they are going in so that is also why I swing a tad more to that side.

The thing that sucks about the hoops board is the constant reminders of our last FF, zone vs man, out of conference schedules, etc etc etc makes it hard to stomach. It sometimes gets to the point where I feel like I am trying to banter with a 15 year old. Dont get me wrong there are a lot of solid knowledgable people that post but its getting less and less.

The football board however should NOT be the pot calling the kettle black. I actually left the football board last year because of the CONSTANT Fire DM, fire DG, our recruiting sucks, we have no direction, Nassib sucks, etc posts that got REALLY old. The tipping point for me was when people started a thread of "our next coach is _______". Just silly.

So while the hoops board gets a little silly at times this board has as well. Its gotten better and is usually more mature than the hoops side but lets not get ridiculous.

The chat rooms for hoops games is something I stopped going into (as well as for football games) as they both got so repulsive I wanted to throw up. I refuse to go back into that pool of water.

Oh and we are a basketball school. Cant argue that no matter how hard you try. Dont even go there because its an argument you cant win. Nothing wrong with it either. This isnt 1959 anymore.

With all of the MCW stuff, its especially brutal right now, but the BB board is almost unreadable at this point. Football board I read every freakin' post. Same can't be said for the bball board anymore.
I've written this before and I really think there is some truth in it:

Bball has become the new baseball. By that I mean, everyone has played it at some point in their life. Back in my day, everybody played baseball be it Minor League or just in the park. Similarly, with bball's increased popularity it's pretty simple to hang a hoop in your driveway or play in a pick-up game and call yourself a player.

Since almost everyone has "played" hoops in some capacity that makes them experts. Never mind that most have never competed in anything but a game of horse...but they're still experts.

As you said, the bball board is approaching unreadability. I never post over there unless one of the morons really torques me.

what's there to talk about? the basketball team is great and totally predictable.

i'd much rather just watch the games and say "That was awesome" and then be done with it. But noooooo I have to watch the bills and spend a week trying to make sense of the cruel world.
Makes sense to me.

This forum has the real fans.

I love SU Hoops but it is painful to read the BB Forum...but I broke the code and know to read any thread started by Jake.

Good News: - Rutgirls
+ NCSt (in the out years)

I am a newbie. I did notice the difference in the boards. Wasn't about to say anything (being a newb) but I am Opus and I agree with this thread. :)